“Unexpected Treat!”

Ranked #10 of 191 Restaurants in San Pedro
Cuisines: Caribbean, Central American
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: El Fogon meaning the "fire-hearth" specializes in Authentic Belizean Cuisine. Our lunch menu includes Stewed Meats, Seafood & Soups. The items on the menu are all local favorites. Dinner consists of Grilled Seafood, Shrimp in Orange and Ginger Sauce or a Mango Sauce, Seafood Creole platter, Seafood Kebabs and much more...All served with a choice of Coconut White Rice or Rice and beans cooked on the open fire. Frozen Key Lime, Coconut Cheesecake and Local Ice Cream makes up our nightly desserts.
Reviewed March 24, 2014

I am so glad we decided to try El Fogon - what a treat! The iced coffee was an unexpected delight and the food was delicious! Probably the best meal we had on the island.

There are newer reviews for El Fogon

Reviewed March 22, 2014 via mobile

Best chicken I've ever had in my life. They slow cook the chicken in front of you. Love this place!!!! A family run business - very warm and hospitable. The best kept secret of San Pedro! A must go if you are visiting from the States like I was! It's not super touristy and a little tricky to find, but well worth it.

Reviewed March 21, 2014

My husband and I went to out to eat at El Fogon with my parents on our last night in San Pedro. It was an intimate restaurant quite close to the airport. The service and food was fantastic! Our waiter was incredibly knowledgeable about all items on the menu, and spent a very long time visiting with us before, during, and after our meal. We like to get an idea of what the locals do, eat, etc., and he was a wealth of information. I had mango grilled shrimp, which was delicious! My dad and husband ordered gibunt, which is not actually on the menu, but available upon request. They both greatly enjoyed their exotic traditional Belizean dish! The value for the quality of food at El Fogon is great!

Reviewed March 16, 2014

It is worth your walk to go here, it's off the beach, it's true, but it also means it's also without the beachfront prices and average food. It's one of the best meals we had in Belize, I had the stew chicken and a great pina colada. I also had a cold coffee drink from the attached cafe which in retrospect I could've done without, but the food here is really worth it, it feels a little more authentic than the more touristy restaurants that line the beach.

Reviewed March 15, 2014

This is one of those local gems that you go home and tell all your friends about. We went for lunch one day, and I had the pork stew. I couldn't believe how absolutely delicious it was. I would LOVE to have this recipe. We decided to go back for dinner so my husband to have the stew, but they have different cooks for lunch and dinner, and so it wasn't on the menu. We still had a wonderful dinner.

They have picnic tables, covered seating and twinkly lights and table cloths at night. Staff are super friendly and helpful, and we'd go back there first thing on another trip to San Pedro.