“Simple, Rustic and Delicious”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of El Fogon

El Fogon
Ranked #13 of 184 Restaurants in San Pedro
Cuisines: Caribbean, Seafood, Soups, Central American
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Dining on a budget, Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Drinks, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: El Fogon meaning the "fire-hearth" specializes in Authentic Belizean Cuisine. Our lunch menu includes Stewed Meats, Seafood & Soups. The items on the menu are all local favorites. Dinner consists of Grilled Seafood, Shrimp in Orange and Ginger Sauce or a Mango Sauce, Seafood Creole platter, Seafood Kebabs and much more...All served with a choice of Coconut White Rice or Rice and beans cooked on the open fire. Frozen Key Lime, Coconut Cheesecake and Local Ice Cream makes up our nightly desserts.
Taylor Lake Village, Texas
“Simple, Rustic and Delicious”
Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

This restaurant is located about a block north from the Tropic Air Terminal baggage area. on a side street next to a grocery store. It's tiny, and very rustic, but don't let this fool you. The food Belizean Creole &Mestizo food is cooked on an open hearth and quite delicious. The conch fritters and fish balls appetizers were crispy on the outside and tender on the inside, yum! The fresh fish entrees were served with rice and beans and simply delicious as well as the stewed chicken dishes. The waiter was attentive and provided recommendations. We finished the wonderful meal with the best key lime pie I ever tasted. This definitely is on our list to return to when visiting Ambergris Caye next year!

Visited March 2013

• Polish first
“Simple, but good!”
Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

El Fogon (hot oven or burning fire) is a very casual restaurant. The small, rustic atmosphere can be charming, since it is quiet and dimly lit. For what may seem like a simple place, the food was quite good and a good value. Lots of fish entrees on the menu and a very attentive staff. Definitely worth a try if you want to escape the crowds in San Pedro.

• Visited April 2013
Madison, WI
“Great food and service!”
Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

I am currently on Ambergris Caye and had dinner here tonight. It was recommended by a really nice family that saw me walking and stopped and gave me a ride into town. I was not disappointed. The menu is small, but everything on it sounded delicious. Your meal includes appetizer, entree, and dessert. I had never had fish balls or conch fritters before, so my super friendly waiter gave me a combo of both. Both were excellent, but I loved the fish balls! So delicious. For my entree I had chicken skewers in a mango sauce. It came with beans and rice and vegetables. So much food and so good!! I may go back tomorrow as I heard my waiter tell another table that the current fish is grouper. I love grouper. Do try the habanero sauce but be very careful! It has quite a kick. My waiter had me try it before I doused it over my food. So glad he did. A very little goes a long way. They were busy tonight, but I was seated and waited on right away. The staff couldn't be any friendlier, and I met the owner too. What a nice guy! If you are in San Pedro, definitely go here! You will not be disappointed! The restaurant itself isn't fancy but with food like this it doesn't need to be. I feel it was also very fairly priced for the amount of food and quality. Save room for key lime pie. Go here!

Visited April 2013
New Jersey
“Best food on the Island”
Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

Very casual and laid back atmosphere. It is basically a price fix menu with about 11 overall options. Like a lot of places here it really is actually two or three dishes with options of rice and meat. The food is actually very very good. The wait staff is very friendly and accommodating. It's not on the beach and the overall seating area is kind of rustic. It's a very pleasant and authentic feeling place. A must visit in San Pedro

• Visited April 2013
New York City, New York
“Delicious! Went twice in a week!”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Hands down the best Belizean restaurant in town. They were the saving grace of my trip to San Pedro/Ambergris. Henry and Alberto are so sweet and friendly. Get the grouper and the lime shrimp!

Visited April 2013