“Best Food of our 10 day Trip”

Palmilla Restaurant
Ranked #48 of 184 Restaurants in San Pedro
Cuisines: Seafood, Caribbean
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Large groups, Romantic, Scenic view
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Los Angeles, California
“Best Food of our 10 day Trip”
Reviewed March 3, 2014

We stayed at the Victoria House resort so we ate all of our breakfasts here plus several lunches and 2 dinners. I will try to discuss all 3 meals.
The breakfasts were very good. Loved the muffins and the omelets were all good.
Lunches
Husband had a cobb salad, I had the seafood tacos, they give you all the "parts" and you assemble it yourself. The pico de gayo had mango in it. The seafood included shrimp pieces, nicely cooked & seasoned. I must add that these were the best seafood taccos I have ever had and we live in LA so I have had them many times.
At another lunch, I had their version of a niscoise salad, with grouper. Husband had the grouper sandwich. Very nice. The food in this hotel is excellent.
A third day, I had sopa de lima and Husband had pulled beef tacos. Normally I am not a "soup" person but I liked the sopa de limon so much that I would like the recipe!
Liked the 3 cerviches so much at dinner that we had them a couple of days for lunch. (see dinners)

2 Dinners
First night at hotel, we shared the 3 cerviches, one lobster, one shrimp, one fish. They give corn & cassava chips to put it on. The lobster was the best, I liked the sauce on that one. They were all great tho, the fish one was very spicy, good. For mains, Husband had the lobster with a green sauce. I had the seasonal fish (shrimp, lobster , scallops and a fish) in a yellow sauce ( I forget what it was, a curry I think) it was so fabulous that Husband was dunking his lobster in my sauce. I think it was one of the best dishes I have ever eaten. For dessert we shared cookies & cream: chocolate chip cookies & vanilla ice cream.
Valentines day Prix Fix Dinner
Regular menu plus a 4 course special menu for Valentines Day. We both opted for the 4 course which included a glass of champagne.
Starters beef carpacio or tuna tartare. Then pineapple gaspacho or a wedge salad. Mains we both chose the lobster with mushroom risotto. Dessert was tiramasu or a chocolate shell (like a cake or muffin) with coconut ice cream.
Everything we ate was FABULOUS. My compliments to the chef!

• Visited February 2014

california
“Worst service we have ever experienced ”
Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

We came here on Valentine's Day after my magical day that began with an underwater proposal. Four of us were excited to end the romantic day at Victoria House. Our wonderful men visited Palmilla the night before to arrange for special table decorations and to drop off a special bottle of wine. We arrived promptly at 8pm for dinner. The table was set and we waited 20 minutes for menus. It took another 20 minutes for bread. The food was decent, but the entire meal extended for three and a half hours even though there were very few other diners. It became a painfully slow end to a great day. We even had friends send us a celebratory bottle of Veuve and we didn't receive it until we asked about it. They tried to say that it was the bottle we had brought the day before. After waiting another 15 minutes we got the check and were ready to leave. I am carrying the bottle of Veuve back home in my suitcase. There are sooooo many other delicious places to dine in San Pedro with top notch service. Try Ricos at Banyan Bay for a romantic view, great service and tasty food for a much more reasonable price.

1 Thank adventurefoodie03
BrentKirkman, General Manager at Palmilla Restaurant, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Dear adventurefoodie03

Our dining room supervisor and your server were quite surprised to read your review. He had, in fact, sent out an email the following morning in response to our query about your champagne delivery, stating that “___and ___ were extremely happy, had a great dinner and they are staying at ___ ___ Hotel down town San Pedro, got their bottle of champagne and the card, also they brought their own bottle of wine”.

I’m sorry that the experience you relate is so very different from their observations.

In their minds, your party departed after enjoying what seemed to be a very pleasant evening despite some regrettable confusion with your wine service. This appears to have occurred as a result of previously received instructions about exactly WHEN the bottle (inscribed with a congratulatory message) was to be delivered to your table.

Their initial instructions were that this bottle of wine was to be delivered after the proposal had been made at the table. Obviously plans changed, which is just one of the grand things about a romantic vacation in an exotic location such as Belize.

The request for the bottle of Veuve Clicquot was emailed to us from our Houston TX reservations office at 4:19 PM February 14th. We’ve advised them that in future, a telephone call would be the preferred follow-up procedure for late-in-the-day requests of this sort. I can assure you that there was no intent or even any possibility of denying you the lovely gift your friends had arranged for you and your betrothed.

I apologize for the confusion with the wines and any service shortcomings that you feel negatively affected your special evening. Our goal is, of course to make each and every dining experience a great one for our guests.

I certainly understand how some experiences (and not just the great ones!) can seem to last forever and I’m sure that by the time your credit cards were processed at 10:49 PM you were ready to return to your hotel. I’ve also been advised of a problem with your taxi not arriving on time and that our dining room supervisor called another cab to return you to your hotel.

We wish you all the best in your new lives together, and hope that the decorative marble table decorations that adorned your table bring back many fond memories of Belize in years to come.

Brent Kirkman GM
Chicago, Illinois
“Best meal on the island”
Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

We ate at the Victoria House twice while on Ambergris Caye and we rarely, if ever, do that on vacation. The setting was fabulous and the food was very good. The seafood alfredo is the best I have every had. The dish had a hearty amount of seafood, a great sauce, and not overloaded with pasta. Sit outside if you can. This is a great spot for great food and a more "dressed up", romantic night out.

Visited February 2014
South Dennis, Massachusetts
“Good food but, mixed emotions”
Reviewed February 12, 2014

We stayed at Victoria House for 8 nights recently. I will say that the quality of the food is some of the best on the island. In fact we thought the almond crusted grouper was one of the best meal meals we've had anywhere. The breakfasts were consistently good and offered good variety. What we found most off putting was the dinner service. It seemed a bit disheveled, as if no one quite knew what their role was. And at times, it became awkward. So, though I can give praises to the kitchen and the chef, I found the front of the restaurant lacking in leadership and cohesiveness from the moment you walk in the front door... someone needs to be in charge. May I suggest Miguel, instead of serving drinks at the pool! I'd also like to hear some music, even if its piped!

• Visited February 2014
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Great lunch”
Reviewed February 10, 2014

This was probably the best quality food we had on our 2 week vacation. Sat outside and enjoyed the view. Excellent and friendly service.

Visited February 2014