“Beautiful Setting, Great Service, Average Food.”

Palmilla Restaurant
Ranked #50 of 183 Restaurants in San Pedro
Cuisines: Seafood, Caribbean
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Scenic view, Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
League City, Texas
“Beautiful Setting, Great Service, Average Food.”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

This was our first time actually eating at Palmilla. We have eaten lunch at the bar several times and really enjoy the view, their lobster tacos and excellent tropical drinks. However we were disappointed in the food at Palmilla's. I was expecting to be wowed, especially for the price. Salads were good, Grouper was bland, and the dessert was excellent. Some of the best carrot cake I have eaten. Maybe it was because we had an excellent dinner the night before at Hidden Treasure for half the price, but I would not return to Palmilla for Dinner.

• Visited February 2013

Yorktown Heights, NY
“Romantic, elegant setting for great meal”
Reviewed February 7, 2013

We had a hard time finding this resort since we were walking and there was no sign for the restaurant. We were a little intimidated by how fancy everything looked since my husband had on shorts. No worries, it looks elegant with everything draped in white cloth, but it is not formal. The food was delicious! My husband had beef and I had fish. There are many wines available by the glass. We shared the ice cream (3 scoops/flavors) and homemade cookie (yum!) for dessert.

Visited January 2013
Burlington
“Maybe it was the weather...”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

We arrived at Victoria House in the middle of heavy rains (and flooded streets!). We were offered a choice of dining in the more elegant restaurant, or in the bar, and chose the latter with a preference for the more casual atmosphere. The service was good, as was the food, but it was not 'excellent' as I expected. Actually, a bit of a disappointment. I'm sure the atmosphere is more inviting when the weather is a typical assortment of perfect temperatures and views, but can't blame the restaurant for that. Unfortunately, a while after we returned to our villa, my husband - who NEVER gets sick, ever - turned desperately ill. And while we can't confirm the cause, he is fairly convinced that it was a result of his meal. It was the only meal all week that we didn't "share" and of course, I never fell ill. Unfortunate, because he will not likely entertain the idea of returning. And to be honest, for the prices, I would probably prefer to eat elsewhere as well. I was not especially impressed. (Tip: Unlike other restaurants on the island, the prices are listed in USD rather than Belizean dollars. Be careful not to think your meal is half of the listed price.)

• Visited January 2013
BrentKirkman, Manager at Palmilla Restaurant, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
Dear AlwaysACritic13,

In Belize, rain is often referred to as “showers of blessing” and we certainly have been blessed this month. Cisterns are full and everyone is ready for some sunshine. Too many blessings of this sort can indeed affect one’s enjoyment of a well-earned vacation.

I’m sorry to hear that your husband was unwell during his stay.

Our kitchen and service staff is well trained in the proper preparation and serving of food, and of course we thoroughly investigate any suggestion that a food born illness may have originated here.

We’ve had a couple of cases of gastroenteritis on the island recently. This rather unpleasant condition, which seems to be affecting a few other areas of the planet as well, usually manifests itself 24 – 48 hours after exposure to the virus, but can appear as early as 12 hours afterwards. It’s usually not serious, and is best treated with time, rest and plenty of fluids.

Whatever the cause of your husband’s distress, I trust he recovered promptly and you both enjoyed the rest of your vacation.

As you observe, our prices are listed in US dollars, as is the case with some of the other well-established resorts on Ambergris Caye. This is a carryover from years past when prices were published in USD for the convenience of our guests. At that time 99% of our business originated from the US. Each one of our menus clearly indicates that our prices are in USD.

There are many great restaurants in San Pedro, and I’m sure you had an opportunity to enjoy a number of them. Each one offers unique specials, ambiance and level of service. At Victoria House, we understand the importance of providing value for money spent. We’re very aware of the need to provide a level of service and product quality in keeping with our reputation and the services offered by other properties of our caliber.

I regret that we didn’t meet and exceed your expectations during your visit, but I appreciate your feedback and hope you’ll return to Belize again in the near future.

Brent Kirkman GM
San Ignacio, Belize
“Wow, awesome, excellent, the best!”
Reviewed January 17, 2013

The setting couldn't be better! Dine inside with comfy romantic relaxed decor or outside with the sea breeze, and rising moon over the sea. Moon-rise, coral beaches, swimming pool, tiki torches, wooden buildings with white picket verandahs, caribbean meets colonial. The best food: from breakfast with Eggs Benedict, delicious Pancakes with home-made fruit compot and perfect coffee to lunching on Sashimi grade Tuna burgers to dining on almond-encrusted lobster (the menu offers pecan-encrusted lobster but I asked the chef for almonds and he complied) and finishing with the best chocoholic brownies with vanilla icecream and espresso! I cannot ask for better, I cannot ask for more! This place is paradise on earth!
Their hotel is every bit as awesome as their food. Victoria House gets my vote for number one! I have been going to Victoria House every year for years! My wife and I celebrated 20 years together recently and I'll give you one guess where we stayed and ate!

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Julian S
Jackson, Wyoming
“Elegant beachfront restaurant”
Reviewed January 17, 2013

This is a very elegant yet casual beachfront restaurant with very good food. This was recommended to us to try before arriving in San Pedro and we weren't disappointed that we went. Good menu selection and good ceviche! And it was the only restaurant here where we found San Pellegrino (which I prefer to water any day with a nice dinner). Overall food was very good as was service. Beachfront location is a bonus.

• Visited January 2013