“Nice quick visit”

Ak'bol Yoga Retreat & Eco-Resort
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I stayed here for several nights for the last couple of days of my dream Belize-ian trip. When I arrived, they didn't seem to have a record of my prepaid reservation and I hadn't printed a copy and when I was leaving to pay, they had no record that I had prepaid. That seems typical of Belize management, so that's fine but briefly stressed me out about being double charged. I stayed in the dormitory, which was very nice and well thought-out, for example: the beds are on platforms, the platform doubles as a drawer and in the center of the platform is a lockable with a key they give you, so your stuff is 100% safe. The fan was fine for keeping you cool at night and the view of the sunset was beautiful. The wireless internet never worked and the pool had to be shocked so no swimming, but who cares with the ocean right there? Someone comes to clean the dorm during the day, a nice surprise, so keep your stuff locked like the owners recommend. The bathrooms were nice. The dorms weren't crowded. The people who ate at the restaurant were nice. After reading the reviews for their restaurant, I was really looking forward to eating at their restaurant. But.. I didn't think the food was anything special and it was expensive for Belize and the portions were so small that I ate two entrees which brought the costs up too far for what it was, although the staff was very nice. I ordered the coconut shrimp on my last night and if I'd been in the States, I would have sent it back. I was actually disappointed in the food and would not eat there again. I biked a mile into town after renting a bike for 24-hours next door for $8 and had 6 delicious tacos for 1US$. I would stay here again, rent a bike next door, but not eat at the restaurant. Tip: if you plan to do any of their Ak'Bol scuba or snorkel trips, find a back up in town because you wont know if enough people sign up to have the trip. I wanted to do yoga, but decided not to because it's 2-hours and I wanted to maximize my San Pedro experience. San Pedro was nice, but I would have preferred an extra couple of days at Glover's Atoll Resort (if you can handle 'luxury camping' check out that place!).

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed April 7, 2013

Enjoyed a week stay in a sea view cabana. Amazing sunrises and views throughout the day. Cabana is cute, with a very comfortable bed (firm mattress). If you are considering a visit, Understand this is an ecolodge and not the Doubletree! Fans, no air, mosquito net not for decoration & there for a reason. Staff is friendly, food is good. Many locals hang here.( To me that's a good sign). Remember this is a yoga retreat (although not required to practice) and things run on "Belizian time". Dorms are nice, & you may meet "backpack travelers" from around the world.
Yoga offered twice a day; classes held over the sea on the palapa, with sea breezes and lapping waves. Know if you are looking for night life, this is not for you. Closes up and quiet by 8:30 pm.
A great place for a relaxing unplugged vacation.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, sea view cabana a must!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Enjoyed breakfast and lunch there! Fish tacos, fried chicken.....all perfect and obviously from scratch. Perfct open air setting. The barman was excellent, very friendly man, who we enjoyed talking with. one of my favorite spots on the island for a great meal.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 17, 2013

The other reviews are useful, use them. Set your expectations accordingly: if you wish to live a simple, uncluttered life with yoga and from-scratch food, stay at Ak’Bol. If you wish to unplug (the meditation garden has WIFI some times and often does not) and meet new friends, stay at Ak’Bol. If you find native lizards and birds and plants to be fascinating, stay at Ak’Bol. If you wish to wake up with the sun and live the life of the island, stay at Ak’Bol. Please determine for yourself the importance of what I haven’t listed (e.g. A/C and TV) and self-select. The water on the island is totally fine but there is a water cooler in your cabana. Check the weather and use yer noggin. We needed more fleece than bug spray. This is a family-operated resort and everyone was highly attentive (we were met at the water taxi by Milio one of the owners, everyday we discussed trips and local fun things to do, and Kirsten’s yoga class was a beautiful gift for a beginner like me). We were extremely well taken care of. We stayed in three cabanas (two ocean, one garden) and they are fine examples of organic architecture. Each had a thoughtful view of the ocean, privacy, and beautiful details. While the ocean, lodging, food, drink, and activities were great, the best part of the trip was our fellow travelers -- I cannot promise them to you but Ak'Bol certainly attracts a great crew.

Some trip aspects updated that we really appreciated from other reviews:
We walked from Tropic Air to water taxi. This was easy. Do not listen to people who stop you with other offers. It’s $5 US pp. Turn right to the water before the bank. Leave your bags, buy your ticket, and have a drink on the beach. (Obviously use the online maps).

The WIFI at Ak’Bol is blessedly intermittent. I found a good signal from the mediation garden but sometimes nothing (although my phone settings had a mind of their own so that could just be me). If you are really jonesing, we found a free fan up the beach just past Royal Caribe and the Palapa Bar had speedy service, just buy a drink and they give you the password. Hard times.

Rent bikes. We went just a bit south to the bird house and rented two bikes for $80 US for a liberal week. This is not easy to find. The bartender can explain but you follow the sign before the Palapa Bar and head toward the blue house with the top under construction. Don’t worry, just go. A dog may bark. Bikes were great with locks and lights. Say “hi” to Harriet for us.

The library no longer checks out books to visitors but we bought paperbacks for $1 US. And ask at Ak’Bol, there might be a library we didn’t know about that may even have the books we left ☺.

Healthy living: I have had a lot of body work in my time and Milio’s massage is an expert experience. If you know and care about your body/mind/spirit Milio and Kirsten will help you take care of yourself through yoga and massage. The awesome bar staff, our fellow guests, and the ocean helped too. We eat almost all local very low carb and while we didn’t toe the line on vacation the from-scratch food was itself a great gift. And the onion – pepper relish is worth the trip in-and-of-itself.

Other places: We dined mostly at Ak’Bol and were rewarded with awesome from-scratch food and a very modest bill. We stuck to the local rum, which I highly recommend, and the run punch with watermelon juice still calls my name. Close by, we had super fun times at Legends (I was shocked how good the burger was as I was all about fish, shellfish, and fish) and tapas at Aji. Try the ceviche everywhere, there is no wrong answer. We had lots of fun in San Pedro too and if you like live music, Legends and Crazy Canucks were great.

Room Tip: There are three sea front cabanas that are obvious on the Ak'Bol website. The garden cabanas alm...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank xntj
Reviewed March 16, 2013

If you are up north and looking for a breakfast place , this is a place to try. Sit and eat on the beach for great views. We went here because the resort we were staying food pricing was too high. Go earlier enough you can do some yoga.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 24, 2013

My daughter & I spent 5 days here. Loved the daily yoga & food was fresh and superb at the restaurant. All staff was friendly. We stayed in a cabana and the iguanas were very noisy living in the thatched roof area during the day, but settled down at night to allow us to sleep.

Tua & Philipe were great bartenders & wait staff.

Room Tip: Cabanas are a bit rustic but perfect for a single or couple. My daughter slept in the loft & fou...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I just returned from 2 weeks at Ak'Bol in San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize. This was my second trip there. I loved it so much the 1st time, i couldn't wait to return. My first trip was 2 years ago, I was looking for a laid back vacation where relax and practice yoga. That is exactly what I found at Ak'Bol. they have yoga classes every morning at 9, and Kristen who teaches yoga is awesome. She also has sutra taks at least once a week which was very interesting. She is 1 of the owners and also will help out with transport, and tours(diving , snorkeling, cave tubing, mayan ruins) they do everthing and are happy to help.
Milio, her husband is an amazing masseur, and also gives great haircuts! On the rainy days, he hangs out at the bar and plays his guitar, all the travellers and locals hang out here. I had heard they have the best food on the island, and they do. It is very reasonable and they have different specials every day. There is a wide variety of dishes, i am a vegetarian and was able to eat well the whole time. We tried several other restaurants on the island and always felt like we were over charged for mediocre food. This second time we stayed on the property the majority of the time, as we learned on the first trip there was really no where better to be.
We arrived 5 days early, and they were happy to see us and remembered us from our first visit, they welcomed us like we were family. We were even able to get an ocean front cabana! That we did not expect, we would have been happy to stay in the back hotel for the beginning of our stay as we didn't have a reservation. They were able to accomodate us.
Everyone on the property was so nice, the bar staff knows you and calls you by name after the first day, Milio took his family to town one day, after we had been talking about frozen custard, and he actually brought some back for me. Way above and beyond any place I have ever stayed. I can't recommend it enough. To me there is no other place to stay when in San Pedro. my husband and I are already talking about going back.

Room Tip: Ask for cabana's 1-3 they are unobstructed views.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple