“Heart of the Village Indeed” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ak'bol Yoga Retreat & Eco-Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Pedro
Ak'bol Yoga Retreat & Eco-Resort
You added Ak'bol Yoga Retreat & Eco-Resort to your Saves list
Madison, Wisconsin
“Heart of the Village Indeed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

The other reviews are useful, use them. Set your expectations accordingly: if you wish to live a simple, uncluttered life with yoga and from-scratch food, stay at Ak’Bol. If you wish to unplug (the meditation garden has WIFI some times and often does not) and meet new friends, stay at Ak’Bol. If you find native lizards and birds and plants to be fascinating, stay at Ak’Bol. If you wish to wake up with the sun and live the life of the island, stay at Ak’Bol. Please determine for yourself the importance of what I haven’t listed (e.g. A/C and TV) and self-select. The water on the island is totally fine but there is a water cooler in your cabana. Check the weather and use yer noggin. We needed more fleece than bug spray. This is a family-operated resort and everyone was highly attentive (we were met at the water taxi by Milio one of the owners, everyday we discussed trips and local fun things to do, and Kirsten’s yoga class was a beautiful gift for a beginner like me). We were extremely well taken care of. We stayed in three cabanas (two ocean, one garden) and they are fine examples of organic architecture. Each had a thoughtful view of the ocean, privacy, and beautiful details. While the ocean, lodging, food, drink, and activities were great, the best part of the trip was our fellow travelers -- I cannot promise them to you but Ak'Bol certainly attracts a great crew.

Some trip aspects updated that we really appreciated from other reviews:
We walked from Tropic Air to water taxi. This was easy. Do not listen to people who stop you with other offers. It’s $5 US pp. Turn right to the water before the bank. Leave your bags, buy your ticket, and have a drink on the beach. (Obviously use the online maps).

The WIFI at Ak’Bol is blessedly intermittent. I found a good signal from the mediation garden but sometimes nothing (although my phone settings had a mind of their own so that could just be me). If you are really jonesing, we found a free fan up the beach just past Royal Caribe and the Palapa Bar had speedy service, just buy a drink and they give you the password. Hard times.

Rent bikes. We went just a bit south to the bird house and rented two bikes for $80 US for a liberal week. This is not easy to find. The bartender can explain but you follow the sign before the Palapa Bar and head toward the blue house with the top under construction. Don’t worry, just go. A dog may bark. Bikes were great with locks and lights. Say “hi” to Harriet for us.

The library no longer checks out books to visitors but we bought paperbacks for $1 US. And ask at Ak’Bol, there might be a library we didn’t know about that may even have the books we left ☺.

Healthy living: I have had a lot of body work in my time and Milio’s massage is an expert experience. If you know and care about your body/mind/spirit Milio and Kirsten will help you take care of yourself through yoga and massage. The awesome bar staff, our fellow guests, and the ocean helped too. We eat almost all local very low carb and while we didn’t toe the line on vacation the from-scratch food was itself a great gift. And the onion – pepper relish is worth the trip in-and-of-itself.

Other places: We dined mostly at Ak’Bol and were rewarded with awesome from-scratch food and a very modest bill. We stuck to the local rum, which I highly recommend, and the run punch with watermelon juice still calls my name. Close by, we had super fun times at Legends (I was shocked how good the burger was as I was all about fish, shellfish, and fish) and tapas at Aji. Try the ceviche everywhere, there is no wrong answer. We had lots of fun in San Pedro too and if you like live music, Legends and Crazy Canucks were great.

Room Tip: There are three sea front cabanas that are obvious on the Ak'Bol website. The garden cabanas alm...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank xntj

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

If you are up north and looking for a breakfast place , this is a place to try. Sit and eat on the beach for great views. We went here because the resort we were staying food pricing was too high. Go earlier enough you can do some yoga.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Soldotna
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

My daughter & I spent 5 days here. Loved the daily yoga & food was fresh and superb at the restaurant. All staff was friendly. We stayed in a cabana and the iguanas were very noisy living in the thatched roof area during the day, but settled down at night to allow us to sleep.

Tua & Philipe were great bartenders & wait staff.

Room Tip: Cabanas are a bit rustic but perfect for a single or couple. My daughter slept in the loft & fou...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I just returned from 2 weeks at Ak'Bol in San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize. This was my second trip there. I loved it so much the 1st time, i couldn't wait to return. My first trip was 2 years ago, I was looking for a laid back vacation where relax and practice yoga. That is exactly what I found at Ak'Bol. they have yoga classes every morning at 9, and Kristen who teaches yoga is awesome. She also has sutra taks at least once a week which was very interesting. She is 1 of the owners and also will help out with transport, and tours(diving , snorkeling, cave tubing, mayan ruins) they do everthing and are happy to help.
Milio, her husband is an amazing masseur, and also gives great haircuts! On the rainy days, he hangs out at the bar and plays his guitar, all the travellers and locals hang out here. I had heard they have the best food on the island, and they do. It is very reasonable and they have different specials every day. There is a wide variety of dishes, i am a vegetarian and was able to eat well the whole time. We tried several other restaurants on the island and always felt like we were over charged for mediocre food. This second time we stayed on the property the majority of the time, as we learned on the first trip there was really no where better to be.
We arrived 5 days early, and they were happy to see us and remembered us from our first visit, they welcomed us like we were family. We were even able to get an ocean front cabana! That we did not expect, we would have been happy to stay in the back hotel for the beginning of our stay as we didn't have a reservation. They were able to accomodate us.
Everyone on the property was so nice, the bar staff knows you and calls you by name after the first day, Milio took his family to town one day, after we had been talking about frozen custard, and he actually brought some back for me. Way above and beyond any place I have ever stayed. I can't recommend it enough. To me there is no other place to stay when in San Pedro. my husband and I are already talking about going back.

Room Tip: Ask for cabana's 1-3 they are unobstructed views.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Yoga classes taught by a knowledgable experienced instructor in a central american country! Thanks Kristen.
Massages by Milio that leave out no modality.
Food that is by far the best deal on the island and good, we tried elsewhere and always came back.
Cabanas perfect for letting it all blow away into that warm caribbean breeze while hanging in the hammock.
Far away from town to feel serene yet close enough for nice walk along the beach trail.
I will be back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013 via mobile

Ak'Bol was a lovely escape. The cabana's with outdoor showers were authentic and the people were fabulous. The food at the Ak'Bol open air bar was the Best in Belize! We had amazing coconut shrimp with Lizette's Special dipping sauce and papaya smoothies. Yoga instuction was wonderful and seeing the resident spotted eagle sting ray flying out of the water while holding an asana was a life changing experience. We hope that the businesses in this area will be mindful of protecting the reef near Ambergris - we noticed many areas where the reef is starting to fail. Once it goes, it is gone; it's very hard to recover. Many tourists come to Belize for the wonderful diving and will stay away if the reef dies.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

We stayed at Cocotal Inn, north of Ak Bol, and heard this place had the best breakfast on the island. It did not disappoint. I think we had 3 or 4 breakfasts here. We also made it here for dinner/late night snacks a few times and had great meals every time. The restaurant is right on the sand with a great beachy vibe. It was the perfect way to begin our days in paradise.

Highly recommended--thanks for the great food and company!
Heather