“Looks better on the web than in real life”

Ak'bol Yoga Retreat & Eco-Resort
Napa, California
“Looks better on the web than in real life”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We had 3 nights at Ak'bol and stayed in the yoga barracks. It's a good value, but you really get what you pay for. The rooms are very dark because you have to keep the shutters closed to keep the bugs out, but that's almost impossible because of the heat. We ended up opening up our room to "try" to cool it off. Our fan only worked on the highest setting so it was spinning around and wobbling making us nervous it would fall down. We were bitten every night and I came home with a ton of bites. I found out by reading trip advisor that other rooms had mosquito nets, which I have feelings about since we had none, nor was that offered. The water in the shared bathroom was very smelly, all the time. We never hung out in our room because of the bugs, heat and light and the only other place was the bar. Also, it looks like this hotel is right over the bridge, but it's not. It's about a 25 minute walk. We did, however, make up for the misses at Ak'bol by visiting Feliz Bar and Grill just down the street twice! The food was great, they have the highest speed internet on the island and the owners are very welcoming and friendly. I felt a lot like I was an outsider at Ak'bol. I would NOT go back and stay at Ak'bol in the future.

Room Tip: I don't know about the cabanas, but I would not stay in the barracks.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Cara D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Reviewed December 20, 2012

Had a great time at ak'bol. The staff was friendly and accommodating. One of our rooms had ants but was an easy fix with a little bug spray. What else can you expect in the jungle. The food was delicious. Definitely recommend the coconut french toast. Has wifi but only accessible on the roof of the bar. Beautiful views of the beach. Watch the sunrise from the pier.

• Stayed December 2012
wash dc
Reviewed November 26, 2012

I have mixed feelings about this place.  First, the pluses.  The location is lovely, and the Soul Kitchen has great food - just lots of great options. Both Ronnie and Philip, who work the counter, are just super nice and friendly, so the vibe is wonderful.  I love that you can take yoga classes there, and doing the yoga class on that dock under the palapa overlooking the ocean is just a great feeling - the location is beautiful.  The owners and staff are all very friendly.

But now, we come to the not-so-great aspects, if you are staying there.  It's an eco-resort, so i understand everything is supposed to be natural and there is no ac.  But the accomodations could be better. We stayed in the cabanas. Its really hot most of the day, and they have fans for that.  But it gets quite chilly early in the mornings, and the beds have no blankets at all - just regular light cotton sheets.  Considering the price point, i would expect to have some kind of light blankets or quilts in place. Otherwise its so chilly that you wake up, and have to get up and out more layers of clothes on - who wants to do that at 4/ 5 in the morning??

Also, the lights on top of the beds only light up at night, so during the day, the cabana gets really dark - so you can't open your bag or suitcase and see anything!  There is no light unless you open up the doors with the shutters, which is a bit of a pain, and which means you then have no privacy inside the room during the day.  So you have to have the doors open to get light into the cabana during the day, at the expense of privacy.

The bed in the cabana was also a little small - i think it was may be a full size, not  a queen.  Also, I did not have a huge problem with this, but some of my friends staying at the other cabanas had a lot of problems with mosquitoes and sand flies.  They would show up every morning with a new batch of bites, constantly itching and really miserable.  One was considering leaving early, just to get away from all those bites every day!  One friend saw a rather large iguana inside her cabana on the wall.

Our cabanas had lofts, but we never went up there - that was a pretty tall ladder to climb up and down for anyone sleeping in the loft (at least 8 feet would be my guess).  I did love the outdoor shower feature though. So if all this sounds like au natural attractive lodging to you, that's fine - i guess i was looking for something a little more well thought out in terms of traveler needs and amenities.

Wifi is avl in a corner of the garden, but the signal is weak.   My cell did not even pick that wifi up - my friend's laptop picked up two bars at most, so it was a rather slow connection.

If you are there for yoga, you should know that if a retreat is ongoing at the same time as your visit, then the retreat instructor, rather than Kirsten the owner, will be leading the daily classes.  So you may want to look into what kind of yoga they teach and what their style is.  Our stay overlapped two different retreats.  The instructor for the first one was very energetic and her approach seemed to be to pack as many twists and poses as possible into every class, sometimes at the expense of whether people were doing it correctly.  The instructor for the second retreat took things slow, and was very precise in her instructions, to make sure everybody was doing things properly, and was very conscious that the class included people with mixed levels of expertise.  I preferred the second approach, but it's a matter of individual preference. I took 3 classes in total, and each was at least an hour and a half - and they were all good.

We left generous tips at the end of our stay, when we settled the bill.  I would have liked to see some kind of communication from management on how the tips would be distributed - i.e. make sure that it is split among all staff, so every one involved in service delivery can feel rewarded.  But there did not seem to be any specific policies or communications in place regarding this issue.  When you stay at well managed resorts, esp those that tend to focus on wellness and natural healing, you typically do see assurances from management in place that there is a process in place to make sure all tips would go directly to the staff, including those interacting with customers and those behind the scenes.

Lastly, i was interested in spa services, but they did not really seem to have a spa.  One of the owners does the massages and he was apparently very good.  But like many women, I am not comfortable having massages in the nude with a male masseuse.  I think if they offered a female masseuse as an option, a lot more people would sign up for massages.  If they had a real spa on site, i know i would have spent a good amount of time and money there, but it was not an option.

Next time we head to san pedro,  what i might do is stay at a different resort or hotel nearby, i.e. one with more  amenities, and walk over to Akbol to take advantage of the yoga and food.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank purplefeva
Gatineau, Canada
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Many reviews speak to the food at Ak'bol which I agree is excellent. Coconut french toast, Nachos, Lobster Bisque - all scrumptious and reasonably priced. I also stayed in one of the beautiful cabins - whether you join in on yoga classes in the morning, is up to you - so don't shy away because of the yoga! Picture, waking up, openning your doors wide and looking out at palm trees, the beach, and the beautiful ocean. You'll see cyclists occassionally going by, boats, and a lovely Great White Egret standing there fishing for his breakfast. And if you need ANYTHING, just speak with Milio, Kirsten, Philip or Ronni. They will happily and efficiently arrange for whatever you need. Excursions leave right from the dock as does the water taxi (schedule is written on the ceiling of the bar - nice touch). Rent a bicycle for $5 from a neighbour or simply walk into town along the beach. I was there in November, 2012 and the bugs were bad so bring your bug spray. If you are into yoga - classes are lovely and held at the end of the dock. It's a great way to meet some locals too. Retreats also available and a yoga barracks is on site for a large group. There is a beautiful atmosphere at Ak'Bol - I'd go again in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: Not all cabins are right on the ocean.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Mer D
Central Oregon, Oregon
Reviewed November 7, 2012 via mobile

I came to Belize with my husband and my best friend. We didn't stay at Ak'Bol, but we spent like, all our time here. We loved Ak'Bol. I wished we had stayed here. They make the best food: breakfast, lunch, dinner. The full bar, holy dirty banana. Phillip and Ronny the bartenders, are awesome. Emilio the owner is helpful and nice. I can't say enough about Ak'Bol. We did our snorkling trips through them, which were fun and reasonably priced. Phillip was always there to help us when we needed help with something, ie, water taxi, where to eat, what to do... We met fun people from all over at the bar. It was truly great service at Ak'Bol. If I come back I am staying there.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jerrbear585
pagosa springs
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I had the pleasure of eating at Ak-bol the first time I visited the island of Ambergris and loved not only the great meals prepared by Lilly but the awesome vibe of the grounds..The second time around I secured a off beach thatched cabana with the outside shower and loved staying there. I enjoyed yoga with Kirsten the owner as well as bike riding along the beach and plenty of time in the pristine water at the end of the dock where yoga classes take place. I felt totally rejuvenated when I headed back to the states.The prices are very fair and the service is friendly along with well kept rooms .I will head back there again very soon.

Room Tip: enjoy a palapa ocean of off ocean or a yoga barracks if your your on a budget and wanna meet new fol...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We stayed down the beach from Ak'Bol, but we ate here 6 out of 9 days of our vacation. The view is beautiful and the staff is super friendly. We liked everything we tried, and the prices were more than reasonable.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends