“A Wonderful place on Ambergris Caye”

Ak'bol Yoga Retreat & Eco-Resort
Reviewed February 18, 2012

My wife and I spent 4 nights at Ak'bol Feb 2012 and really enjoyed it. The owners, Kirsten and Milio were very friendly and welcoming, Phillip and Ellen running the bar/restaurant were friendly and efficient and the food was outstanding. One indication of the quality of the food is the fact that locals and guests at other resorts often come there to eat.

The resort is about a mile north of the town of San Pedro and the easiest way to get there is to take the Coastal Express water taxi north from San Pedro. $5 US a person.

We stayed in one of the cabanas that were directly overlooking the water and these would definitely be the first choice. The other cabanas are behind them and might seem claustrophobic. The cabanas have folding doors, unscreened, that open onto the porch. A wonderful place to sit and just enjoy the view.

Others have given a lot of details about their stay at Ak'bol and we would agree with the comments of most of the top ratings.

A great way to finish up our trip to Belize.

Room Tip: Definitely go for one on the water if possible.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BrockSanDiego
There are newer reviews for Ak'bol Yoga Retreat & Eco-Resort

Reviewed February 13, 2012

I stayed in the barracks at Ak'Bol and while they were very simple, they were all that I needed. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful (Ellen, Armando, Jason and Phillip.) The hotel was set in a beautiful tropical jungle setting and the beach with it's bed and chairs was always a nice place to relax. Kirsten was also very helpful in planning excursions and trips for us. Would definately recommend this to all my friends.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank CorinneG
Reviewed February 4, 2012

As a seasoned all inclusive traveler to Mexico I thought I would step out of my comfort zone and try Ak'bol Yoga Retreat, and I was not dissapointed. From the staff, to the food, to the company that travels to a resort like this I found it to be the most relaxing/rewarding vacation I have ever experienced. Big thank you to Kirsten and Milio to following their dreams and creating such a fantastic resort. The bar staff including Ellen, Phillip and Armando were always a pleasure to be around. The kitchen staff are top notch and your surroundings are incredible.

Myself and a friend (20 something females) stayed in a seaside cabana for 4 days and then moved to the yoga barracks for 6 days. Our cabana was about 50 feet from the ocean. It had a private bathroom, outdoor shower and two fans. The front doors could be opened to allow the cool breeze to come in. The barracks were much smaller and a bit further from the ocean, but it only took about 1-2 minutes to get from them to the ocean. The communal bathroom in the barracks was well maintained, clean and safe. There was a ceiling fan in each room. I actually liked my shower better in the barracks then the cabana. There are locked drawers in every room for your belongings if needed. They do provide towels, but they are a bit small for beach towels so I suggest to bring one. They also provide soap and shampoo.

The ocean views were fantastic, and many locals actually came to the resort to swim off the dock because it was the best swimming in the area. We saw many sting rays and eagle rays go by while sunning ourselves. Travelers/locals also came for the food and yoga all the time. If you go please do a Milio massage. UNBELIEVABLE. Also, go to Legends Bar on Tuesday night for their open mic night. The resort is about 1.5 mile walk from town which is doable, but bikes are very cheap to rent.

While this was the perfect place for me I don't think it would be the perfect place for everyone. Do not come here if you are expecting air conditioning, televisions, internet at the tip of your fingers, incredibly fast service, a bar that is open all night long, and all of your requests to be filled instantly. This is a resort that has adopted the Belizean style of life which is a laid back atmosphere perfect for meeting new people and completely 'unplugging' from the usual every day hassels.

It was an amazing experience and I can't wait to return.

Room Tip: The cabanas have the best sea breeze which keeps the mosquitoes away.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank MinnesotaNicci
Reviewed January 30, 2012

Kirsten and Millo Out did themselves again. They were perfect hosts going the extra mile to ensure our stay was fantastic by arranging rides to Hol Chan, Diving trips and jungle tours. Ellen, Phillip and Armando were amazing in their ability to make us feel like valued friends and kept us smiling and eating and drinking all week (too short of a time in this paradise). The kitchen staff showed why they are the best on Ambergris Caye with huge wonderful tasting meals, variety being the spice of life. Having come here on a diving and photo trip I felt very secure in the knowledge that my equipment and valuables were safe, ( with minor common sense precautions).

Room Tip: If you don't want bugs, found everywhere on the Island, choose the OceanFront Cabanas. The wind...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank scubaDr
Reviewed January 20, 2012

In December, when the weather in Oregon got gloomy, cold, and unbearable, I headed south to Belize to soak up some sun. Being on a budget, I started searching the web for inexpensive digs on the beach, and came up with Ak'Bol Yoga Barracks.

The price seemed way too good to be true, but it was for real. For the money, a stay on Ambergris Caye in the Ak'Bol Barracks (not really a military building, BTW, that's just a whimsical moniker) proved to be comfortable, private, and as sociable as I chose for it to be.

My room and other rooms opened onto a shared balcony. The bathroom was downstairs, and it was clean and spacious. I loved the observation level overlooking the lagoon, where I frequently spotted a roseate spoonbill, wood stork, and several kinds of egrets and herons fishing in the shallow waters.

A quick trot across the island road led to the restaurant, which served excellent food and drinks, and the coral sand beach with its perpetual warm, moist breeze. I spent a lot of time lying on the loungers out in the water, admiring the lapping turquoise waters, the fishing egrets, the yoga participants out on the pier, and the marvel of not having any obligations to deal with. This lovely retreat is a Mecca for yoga fans, but welcomes slothful don't-wanna-lift-a-finger people like me, as well.

I rented a bike from a resort up the road for a ridiculously low rental fee, so I had the run of the island during my stay. I could have caught a water taxi out on the pier for trips into San Pedro, but used the bike instead.

Kirsten and Milio are the perfect hosts. I enjoyed chatting with Kirsten immensely. Milio provided the best full-body massage I have ever experienced.

If you're on a budget and/or into yoga, this is your ideal destination.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms in the barracks are closer to the bathroom, but there's a cooler breeze throu...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed November 29, 2011

I'm not so sure what so pleasant about this hostel-like guest stay...The owners really missed the ticket with guest relations....very overbearing during our yoga retreat with virtually no sympathy for our battle with the bugs, smelly water, and the not-so-talked-about thefts by their housekeeping staff. Without a commissary to buy any sort of bug spray and/or relief (or any other traveling necessities for that matter) from the multiple bites in the first 2 hours after arrival, I was miserable. I had asked for a mosquito net for my bed, but I was informed that there wasn't a way to hang in the Barracks. The on-sight bar closed by 5pm which meant I took my money elsewhere for night time social entertainment. They weren't any community gathering areas to sit and chat other than bar stools at the bar(which was closed and dark) and few lounge chairs(sans chair pads after 5pm) scattered around the mini beach. We were surrounded by coconut trees and fresh coconut water wasn't even available. I could go on...I've stayed in youth hostels with better hosts and amenities.

From a perspective of hospitality, they missed the boat on multiple levels.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
9  Thank michelle s
Reviewed November 25, 2011

This is not suited to the person who is expecting Club Med. It is ideal and amazing for people who want to unplug, relax, and be around friendly, caring people. The cabanas were island living at it's purest. Crafted and designed with island materials and techniques, they open out to let you see the lovely sea from your porch.

The owners are wonderful people, who Went beyond the call of good service to make sure we never worried about anything.

Please note, this is not resort living with manicured lawns and US-style "luxury." This is pure island luxury: great food, comfortable rooms, ocean breezes, and genuinely friendly smiles. As far as I am concerned, I have found my Caribbean home away from home.

Room Tip: We stayed in a cabana that saw the ocean through the gap between cabanas. If you want a fuller view...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends