“Good Dive Shop”

White Sands Dive Shop
More attraction details
Owner description: We are a PADI 5 star Dive shop in San Pedro Town on Ambergris Caye in Belize. We teach scuba diving and certify divers as well as take divers to the reef for daily Diving and Snorkeling adventures.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed January 4, 2014

White Sands was wonderful to our dive family of four in week between holidays, 2013. Kudos to Reuben, Carlos, and Raoul. We especially appreciated how our wheelchair diver with HSA certification was treated. A very professional outfit which contributed to a wonderful vacation.

1  Thank William T

Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

We did our instruction in a pool and our first dive at Hol Chan Marine Reserve off the reef at Ambergris Caye. The dive master, Sam, was excellent and the reef was teeming with fish, from turtles, sharks, barracudas, a moray eel, huge rays and too many other fish to count.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

I had mixed experiences with White Sands. Day one, dove with Ruben and he was great. This was my first time diving since getting open water certification, and he really made me feel comfortable.

Day two, dove with Oscar. At the outset of dive, he said we would dive to 85 feet and swim through some coral caves. I expressed concern about this, given that this was only my second dive and was only certified to 60 feet with no cave training. He brushed it aside, said "Don't be a wimp, I'll take care of you."

Got to the bottom and did the cave. Two of the divers behind us got lost and it wasn't until I tapped Oscar's tank that he looked back to see. He then retrieved them.

Other divers I've talked to since said he had no business taking a newbie on this type of dive. I'm grateful for the experience, but I did not feel that safety was a primary concern here.

I ended up switching my last two scheduled days to another dive shop.

elbertgreer, Owner at White Sands Dive Shop, responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2014

Thank you for your review.
This concerns me and I'll have a talk with Oscar.
Safety first and going by the rules are how we like to operate, this doesn't sound like our normal fare. Swim throughs have been on my list of concerns for a while.
Encouraging you to do a dive your not comfortable with is wrong and swim throughs in my opinion are not safe for divers untrained in cavern diving, my apologies.

Reviewed December 20, 2013

I did 2 dive trips with White Sands Dive Shop, with Elbert Greer's Master Diver, and I'm super glad I did. With so many choices for dive shops on the island, my research payed off. These guys took awesome care of me, advanced me and others under water on techniques, for free ! and really took care of us. I also like the fact that they came and picked me up at my hotel dock, something others would not. I will definitely dive with Elbert's guys again on next vest.

1  Thank winedude1
Reviewed December 19, 2013

The people at White Sands were nice and very knowledgeable. We did the Hol Chan & Shark-Ray Alley excursion which was about 3 or 4 hours. Jerry was our snorkeling guide and he was so funny and great to snorkel with!