“Stay Here!!”
Review of The Phoenix Resort

The Phoenix Resort
Ranked #1 of 54 Hotels in San Pedro
Reviewed May 30, 2010

This was our first trip to Belize. Had no Idea where to go or where to stay. Went to TripAdvisor and this hotel was the highest rated hotel on Ambergris Caye. Not one bad review. Usually there is someone who doesn't like something about a place, but everybody liked it.
I e-mailed the resort and got a quick reply from Stacey telling me that they could accomodate our travel time period. She set up the air transfer from Belize City International and provided detailed instructions on the complete transfer process.
When we arrived, we were greeted by Stacey and the staff. We were upgraded to a two bedroom two bath condo. Wonderful unit of about 1400 square feet with a huge patio and French doors opening on to it from each room. Full kitchen with granite counters, master bath has a whirlpool tub and separate shower. Two flat screen TVs with about 80 channels available. Great view of the sea from the unit. By the way,the resort pays for the taxi from the San Pedro Airport to the hotel and back.
The staff couldn't be more helpful. They are eager to assist you in any way they can. The resort provides you with a cell phone with $10 of time on it so you don't have to use your minutes if you want to make local calls. It came in quite handy.
Because we had not been to Ambergris Caye or Belize before, we were not sure what to expect. We knew it was a diving/snorkling hotspot. We were disappointed to find that the hotel did not have sandy beach that one could walk into the ocean. However, we soon found out that hardley any places have that. After being there for two days, we realized that one couldn't find a better place to stay. It is convienent to all of the bars and resturants and shops in San Pedro which is a real plus. Some of the other resorts are quite aways away from town and you would either stay at the resort or have to have a golf cart to get around (and except for in town, the roads aren't that good). We had a great time and would highly recommend this resort to anyone.

4  Thank CraigIVes

Reviewed May 26, 2010

Wow. WOW! I'll try to use words besides "wow", but seriously, The Phoenix is, well...WOW! I went the week of 16 May with my girlfriends for our annual trip to Belize. The place we usually stayed was no longer available and we had become spoilt there and The Phoenix continued that tradition. We were given something cool and tropical to drink while checking in which was such a treat and so needed.
The condo we stayed in, D-5, was on the third floor and the view was gorgeous. The condo itself is just perfect. I recommend going to the supermarket for groceries and taking advantage of the wonderful kitchen. The beds were so comfy that I had trouble getting out of them in the morning.

The pool area was so nice. What a view of the sea and the pools are clean and refreshing. The bar makes wonderful drinks and we had lunch brought to us poolside. Yum!

Red Ginger on site has great food but venture out. There are so many wonderful restaurants. Caliente, Wild Mangos, and Blue Water Grill are awesome.
Fido's food is so-so, but it is a fun place to hang out.

If you're wanting to go fishing or snorkeling, book with Uprising Tours. Eric and Clifford are two locals who are so proud of their island and the sea. They'll take very good care of you and will definately spoil you as well. They said we had a 10% chance of seeing Manatees on our snorkeling trip, and we did. They said the same about seahorses, and we were successful there as well. They know the best places to go.

Big thank yous to Mark, Efrain, Stacy and everyone at The Phoenix. Cannot wait to visit you all again.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank SunshinePerri
Reviewed May 17, 2010

The Phoenix is AMAZING! From outside, you don't realize how beautiful, new, and arichtecturally interesting it will be, but inside, it is an oasis of serernity from the rest of San Pedro. The location is ideal, walking distance from everything and the rooms are gorgeous. We had a one bedroom/one bathroom with a California King bed and Jacuzzi tub. Everything is so new and fresh. It truly blows the mind! The staff are wonderful. The food is good. The value is out of this world!! I could not think of one thing to improve upon. They even have washer/dryer and full kitchen in the units, so you could cook and stay for a long time if you so chose!

2  Thank Islena
Reviewed May 16, 2010

we just returned from the phoenix and it was as nice as we heard on the reviews.my wife and i renewed our wedding vows at a private rooftop dinner ceremony.stacey and pam handled all the details and it was incredible.the spacious condo on the beach was the nicest place i saw in san pedro.the red ginger was also the nicest restuarant we ate at in san pedro and we ate at many.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 13, 2010

Just returned from a week at The Phoenix and we are already dying to go back! Not only were we in awe of the beautiful hotel grounds, views, and suite, we were blown away at how amazing and friendly the staff were. As this was our first trip to Belize, we weren't quite sure how we wanted to spend our days. The front desk staff gave us great recommendations, booked our excursions and made all the necessary arrangements. It could not have been easier! Our suite was absolutely gorgeous. The kitchen was fully equipped and the veranda...OMG, the veranda! AMAZING!

After reading all the reviews on tripadvisor beforehand, my expectations were pretty high. I can tell you that this place exceeded my expectations by far! Can't wait to return and share this place with family and friends!

1  Thank superkel_10
Reviewed May 12, 2010

This is the place to stay to fully enjoy San Pedro. Fantastic hotel (all the amenities mentioned by other reviewers are accurate), good location - close to nightlife, shops and restaurants, dive shops and great ocean view. Plus, its just beautiful.
Marc, the manager, was friendly (like everyone we met) and interested in continuing to improve the property which is hard to do..
For my next trip to San Pedro, I will certainly stay at the Phoenix.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 11, 2010

Ok, so I know my review is going to be really long - because WE DID EVERYTHING!! Please take the time to read it, I promise you will get some good tips! Stacey and the entire staff were so kind and helpful, they booked all of our excursions, recommended the best guides to go with and we just charged them to our room and paid at the end. The food at the Red Ginger (the restaurant at the resort) is delicious. We did basically everything I had read to do in the reviews on TripAdvisor. I will go in order by day to make sure I don't leave anything out.

Day 1 - Our greeting by the Phoenix staff was great. Stacey, one of the resort managers, came outside to greet us as we were getting out of our cab. The resort paid for our cab ride from the airport and had fresh cocktails made with ginger waiting for us. Totally hit the spot after traveling for half a day. Stacey showed us to our condo and they had upgraded us to a two bedroom two bathroom since it was our honeymoon. The condo was awesome, even more beautiful than we expected, and the veranda was GIANT!! We were totally exhausted because our wedding was the night before we came, so we decided to stay in and eat at the Red Ginger. Our meal was excellent form appetizer to entree to wine to desert. Order the Grouper dish and the cinnamon apple cheesecake with Irish whiskey whipped cream and caramel sauce - DELICIOUS!

Day 2 - We ate breakfast at Estel's on the beach. The food was yummy (the Watermelon juice is a MUST TRY) and the atmosphere was great - sand floor, barefoot waiter, live music. We stopped by the front desk after lunch and Stacey and the reception staff were there to chat and help us with whatever we needed. Stacey suggested we go snorkeling with Alfonse at Hol Chan because we didn't have any plans for the afternoon. GREAT SUGGESTION!! Alfonse was so great, he is a local and knows so much about marine life. We saw parrot fish, a giant balck grouper that let Alfonse hug it and kiss it on the lips, baracudas, 3 kinds of sting rays, tons of gorgeous fish, sea turtles and even a morae eel that Alfonse swam down and taunted so it would come out of the coral so we could see more of its body! Then he took us to Shark Ray Alley were we HELD nurse sharks in 15-20 feet deep open ocean water! I did so many things on this trip I would never have thought I had the guts to do. We also saw a huge sting ray sit on Alfonse's head like a hat. Remember that these are animals in the wild, not in a tank or anything. CRAZY!

Day 3 - We went diving with Gilbert from Chuck and Robbie's Dive Shop. Well, my husband went diving, I snorkeled above him and the group. I got claustrophobic once we got in the water, and Gilbert was so understanding and helpful. He helped me get my gear off and traded it out for snorkeling gear and off we went! My husband and I both had a great time and we really appreciated the fact that I could just snorkel above him. We ate dinner at Wild Mango's that night and the food was great. The Rum Punch is the best we had the whole trip.

Day 4 - We rented a golf cart and drove around the island which was really fun. We headed North to Palapa Bar (another great suggestion made by Stacey) which is a bar built out over the water. We got some great pics. After that we had a much deserved trip to the Sol Spa! We did ear candling and got massages. Cari and Char were great, I even went back the last day we were there to have Char do ear candling on me again! After our spa time we went onto the roof of the resort to enjoy the sunset - DO NOT MISS OUT ON THE ROOF TOP ACCESS - the views are amazing.

Day 5 - We laid by the pool in the morning and enjoyed drinks made at the pool bar by Ronaldo. Then, WE TOOK A PLANE RIDE OVER THE BLUE HOLE!!! This may be the coolest thing I have ever done. It was just the pilot, my husband and me on a 4 seater plane. The view of the islands, the reef and the Blue Hole can't be beat. For dinner, the resort made us reservations at Caliente's so we could go to the famous CHICKEN DROP (if you don't know what this is look it up). We had the best seats in the house, right above the board, and WE WON TWICE!! If you go to the Chicken Drop, you will understand how impressive it is that we were that lucky :)

Day 6 - We took an all day private tour with Ed. First, we flew back to Belize City where Ed picked us up and drove us through the Belizean country side to the Mayan ruins Xunantanich (shoo-nan-ta-neech). I was much more moved and impressed than I thought I would be, it was an amazing experience. Ed was so knowledgeable and told us so many facts about the ruins, the plant life and animal life. When we saw a group of 50 people with two guides, we realized what a great experience we were having just us and Ed! Then we went zip lining through the rain forest and tubing down a river through a cave system with Ed there to give us even more great info. The whole day was incredible and we have so many great memories and pictures!!

Day 7 - Our last full day :(, but it was another GREAT DAY!! We went on a private fishing trip with Oliver (who is Cari from the spa's husband) and his first mate Alex. Oliver and Alex were so friendly and fun, and I enjoyed them making fun of my husband when the catch count quickly became me-2 my husband-0 (although by the end of the trip it was a tie). After we caught some more fish we pulled up on the beach (which was covered in conch shells) and Oliver and Alex cooked the fish we caught. Oliver had also brought along some coconut milk rice, beans, tortillas and rum punch! It was one of the best meals we had, and I won't even eat seafood at home. Overall another unbeatable day in paradise.

Sadly, our trip came to an end, but we left not having one "I wish we had done that" thought! Go to San Pedro and STAY AT THE PHOENIX!! The Phoenix gives you luxury and pampering while still being in the mist of the REAL San Pedro, which was our favorite part about the resort. I have always been a lay-on-the-beach for the entire vacation type person but this was soooo much better! You can't go wrong with the help of the people that work at the Phoenix. We stopped by the front desk every day to say hi, get advice on where to go, what to do and to tell the staff how much fun we were having. They were really great and the experience would not have been half of what it was without them!! A big thanks to Stacey again for everything!!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple