“You Won't Be Disappointed”
Review of The Phoenix Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
The Phoenix Resort
Ranked #1 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
st. louis
“You Won't Be Disappointed”
Reviewed July 15, 2014 via mobile

Yes, the resort is a little more expensive than others, but it is worth it. We found everything from the staff, to the unit, to the location... to be exceptional. We stayed in a 1 BR unit that was, I'm guessing, 1000 square feet and had a deck that could seat 6, plus 2 lounge chairs. It is not often that I am impressed, but I was.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank rs9

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
  • Turkish first
Travelers Rest, South Carolina
Reviewed July 13, 2014

We stayed here in Oct. 2010. Very nice Resort. We intend on going back soon. Right on water. Nice pool and bar area. Restaurant was very good and affordable. Easy access to all water sports. Also we rented a golf cart and toured the town.

Room Tip: All rooms ocean front
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank pamelashead
Oakland, California
Reviewed July 12, 2014

The property is wonderful: very nice pool, luxurious accomodations, great location (especially for proximity to dive shops). But what really sets this place apart is the helpfulness of the staff in arranging trips, excursions, the flights to/from Belize City, etc. It's pretty much like having a personal assistant along on your trip to take care of things. Would definitely return here again.

Oh, and the Tapas at their onsite restaurant was wonderful.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank DavidBaraff
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed July 9, 2014

I'm sitting in our 2 bed suite at the Phoenix writing my review, usually I wait but this place is a small piece if heaven. I've been lucky enough to have had the opportunity to stay in some nice JW's and four seasons and this hotel could give them a run for their money.

Let's start with before you get here. We are celebrating a special birthday so I emailed the staff a number of times skiing for information and help with booking flight transfers and a number of trips, they were amazing and so patient. Keisha was so wonderful and booked our transfers from belize intl airport. She has also managed all of our day trips and special birthday arrangements.

When we arrived we were welcomed by name (how many hotels do that) and given a rum drink and a cool fresh towel. We were given a guided tour of our room and shown all the amenities including free iPad, huge kitchen, huge bathrooms bedrooms, living area. Free phone to make local and international calls. You can reload minutes if you run out.

This hotel and staff go out of there way to make sure everything is perfect. They make sure you know there is no beach outside of the hotel but honestly if you walk a few yards to the right or left you can paddle in the sea. There is quite a bit if sea grass but you can swim of any of the small piers on either side of the hotel.

I love that the hotel is in San Pedro, it makes it so easy to walk to all the stores and restaurants. Note that everything is in Belize dollars so just divide by 2 for US. Dollars. There are also at least 6 small stores to buy with a couple of minutes walk to buy food. We usually made breakfast each morning and lunches for longer day trips. I noticed someone just here said there was nowhere to buy food but there are a lot of stores (all small) and they carry many brands you'd recognize in the US.

We chose not to cook all the time as the food here is amazing. The local chicken with rice and beans is amazing. I'm not an adventurous eater but I haven't eaten anything I didn't like yet. Red ginger is the restaurant at the hotel and it's really good. Our kids loved the meatball subs at lunch and we ate several of the fish dishes. All were really good and it's nice to have a good restaurant on site.

We also checked out Mesi (top rated on tripadvisor) and it was so good and deserves it's rating, also checked out Blue water. Grill and Elvi's. Blue water was excellent and we'll probably go there again before we leave. There are so many places to eat and all are great. Check out Wild Willy's on the pier just to ten right of the hotel for lunch.

My kids love the poor, it's not huge but it's great to play in. There is also a lap pool if you want to exercise. Pool bar is good too and brings were nice and NOT watered down or weak.

Went to the gym this morning and although it's small it worked fine for me. Runner, bike, cross trainer plus a couple of weight machines and some free weights. They also do a free 90 min yoga class twice a week. What I think is nice is they realize the gym is small so have a sign in the gym saying if you need a fuller facility they will get your free pass to the local gym or crossfit facility. They also mentioned this when we arrived.

I've never seen so many golf carts in one place. Everyone rives them to get places so realize when you head out the hotel you are sharing the small road with them so remember your road safety and walk single file. Bike and cart rentals are everywhere if you want to explore the island,

I haven't used the sea kayaks or paddle boards yet but they offer those complimentary so just ask. Also for those who love their coffee they have Keurig coffee makers in the room and give as many complimentary coffee pods or differing kinds than you can drink.

I can't think of anything bad to say. I love this place and will definitely book here again if I return to San Pedro. We are staying in D6 on the top floor looking out to sea. Love our room and everything about this place.

We've done a number of trips (fishing, cave tubing, Mayan ruins, zip lining, horse rising and river cruise but I'll review those separately. So far they have all been amazing and the staff only see to book with the best people here.

If you are thinking of booking here please do, I promise you won't regret it everyone who said this hotel was amazing has been correct. Belize all the hype:)

Oh and apologies for any typos, I'm writing this on their complimentary in room ipad.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
10 Thank Paula W
Farmington Hills, Michigan
Reviewed July 9, 2014

Everything about our time here was perfect. The room was beautiful -- we had a corner unit that faced the ocean and the pool and had 2 walls of full length windows and a wrap around balcony/deck. What a view! Full Kitchen, spacious bathrooms and bedroom. Everything was worryfree and great. The staff was extremely friendly, knowledgeable and efficient, and the trips they arranged for us were the best. We did the day trip with Oliver and snorkeled, fished, saw some manatees, and ate our catch on a remote small island for lunch. I loved their thoughtfulness to provide a local cell phone preloaded with about $10 for us to use while there (you can add more if you need it by buying extra miutes). It allowed us to use it in town, plus to call our parents. I can't say enough about the resort, and the people. I will definitely come back to the Phoenix -- definitely the best place we have stayed. We had an awesome time.

Room Tip: Corner rooms have a great view
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank MKB-WHD
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 5, 2014

The Phoenix has large and gorgeous suites that are bigger than my NY apartment. Done up in casual but ultimate luxury it has everything you could want-- music, wide screen TVs, washing machines and dryers, a totally outfitted kitchen and bar (I don't know where you could find food to cook, however). The condos have large balconies with very comfortable lounge chairs and a table to eat at; ours looked right over the ocean, and we could have easily spent our entire vacation on the veranda. The other great thing about the Phoenix is the wonderful staff (thanks Rosa and Andrew!) who could not have been more pleasant and helpful. They procured bikes for us, suggested things to do, brought my friend a birthday cake, made reservations, and worried over us constantly. The location is pretty good (I think I would have preferred to be in a slightly less congested section of the island). But here are the two unpardonable sins-- first, the food is close to inedible, I mean tragically awful. That is unforgivable in a resort. We found two good restaurant options-- Hidden Treasures and Pallanta (or something like that)-- otherwise we would have starved. Second, the hotel has a poor, very poor gym which is also inexcusable in a high end resort. If Phoenix can clean up these two things, they move into the real luxury resort category. Until then, a four star is generous.

Room Tip: ask for one overlooking the ocean-- worth the extra $
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank Imabroadwaybaby
Foster City, California
Reviewed June 26, 2014

My husband and I with another couple visited Belize and spent a few nights in San Pedro.We stayed at the Phoenix Hotel and it exceeded all expectations. We walked into our unit and was taken back by the modern, spacious unit and the breath taking view from the balcony. The guest experience was well thought out, covering everything and anything you could want from a luxury hotel while still maintaining all you need and want as if you were at home. The little things really topped it off - the sweets left into the room, the mini ipad, the cell phone to make local or international calls, the complimentary starter drink set (rum, coke, fanta, lime, etc.). The hotel is also located in town with everything in walking distance. Please keep in mind there is no real beach area as part of the hotel but if you step to the right or left there is access to the beach. The pools were relaxing and beautiful. The restaurant was yummy and has special happy hours. The staff was friendly and very helpful. I definitely plan to return again with my kids.

Room Tip: Not sure if there is a bad room in the place. We had a direct view of the pool and ocean.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple