We stayed for 10 days with two children - 12 and 10 in a two bedroom, oceanfront condo. You have already read about the size of the units (true - enormous), the décor and stock (kitchen, bed, bath - all true - nothing missing), the cleanliness (possibly the best we have stayed at). The pool and grounds are wonderful (ok - only big suggestion - heat the main pool - apparently this is in the works - and consider a hot tub). What truly sets this resort apart is the staff, particularly the front desk. We booked all excursions through the resort. Not going to lie - they were kind of pricey, but considering that most of them involved us driving away to a remote location in a car or boat with strangers (with our kids), I was more than willing to pay a bit more than what we could have negotiated with a tour operator down the street for the security that I felt. Without exception, the hotel booked excellent, safe and gregarious tour guides. I believe that the hotel has done research to ensure that it is aligned with the best guides operating. The hotel checked in twice during one long tour to ensure that we arrived/were returning soon. The staff also booked dinner reservations and were excellent with advice. At no time in our earlier travels have we ever experienced that level of service.
Here are some tips/suggestions:
1) we did cave tubing/zipline/Belize zoo tour with Carlos from Blue Morpho Tour. He was fantastic with my kids, extremely knowledgeable and just generally fun. We did the Lamanai tour through the hotel - interesting but the boat ride was a bit long for my kids (1 1/4 hours to the site, a 1 1/2 hour walk and tour of the site, lunch then boat ride back). We did a day long fishing/snorkeling/beach bbq with Oliver and Jimmy which was the highlight of my son's trip. We went snorkeling twice with Lil Alphonse company - once with Lil Alphonse and once with Iver. Both were amazing trips and came with more instruction/assistance than we have experienced on previous snorkeling trips.
2) had a nice facial at the spa. Very pretty - similar to a spa at home
3) one of the owners of a unit gave me the phone number of her massage therapist who she uses every visit. Miss Shirlene (666-3536). Three of us had massages one day. It was $40 per hour. She has a tent/hut on the beach about 15 minute walk north of the resort. It's (mostly) private and you hear the ocean and birds (and occasional people) outside. The massages were excellent and frankly, 1/3 of the price anywhere else. Miss Shirlene is warm and very friendly. I highly recommend calling her.
I will only rave about something if I truly think that there is little to improve upon - The Phoenix qualifies.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Phoenix Resort is a modern and luxurious beachfront resort located on Ambergris Caye, Belize, and in the charming town of San Pedro. What we offer on-site: Red Ginger serving breakfast, lunch, dinner, and room service, a pool bar and rooftop bar, Sol Spa, the island’s most popular spa, a beautiful heated saline chlorinated main pool and separate heated saline lap pool, fitness center, and business center. What’s included in our rates: Round trip ground taxi transfers, daily maid service and nightly turn down service, Keurig coffee maker and pods, bottled water, free Wi-Fi, in suite Bose wireless speakers and iPads, Aveda bath products, use of bicycles, kayaks, paddle boards, yoga classes, painting classes, chocolate tastings, wine tastings, free daily cocktail mixers from 5pm to 6pm, on-site fitness center, access to local gym and Crossfit facilities, and more. Breakfast is not included but is available on-site. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- The Phoenix Hotel San Pedro
- The Phoenix Resort Belize/San Pedro