“Suberb Service from General Manager and Staff”
Review of The Phoenix Resort

The Phoenix Resort
Ranked #1 of 54 Hotels in San Pedro
Lahaina
“Suberb Service from General Manager and Staff”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

My husband and I visited in May 2013 and our stay was outstanding from beginning to end. We are both in the hospitality industry in Hawaii so our expectations are pretty high. This property and staff exceeded those expectations. The General Manager, Mark Maggiotto, went above and beyond in helping me with a special request. His time and effort are so very appreciated. The location of the resort is awesome-we walked everywhere and only rented a golf cart for one day to really explore the island. We will be back. As we say in the islands, Mahalo nui loa (thank you very much) Diane C.

Room Tip: Our spacious suite was on the bottom floor overlooking the pool
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Diane C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
  • Turkish first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed September 7, 2013

My husband, adult son, and I spent a week at The Phoenix in July 2013 based on the reviews on Trip Advisor. We loved The Phoenix so much and will definitely be back. The resort is beautiful, the staff is top notch, the food at the restaurant is delicious, the condo is gorgeous and the location is perfect. We stayed in a two bedroom, two bathroom condo located on the second floor facing the ocean (I can't remember the number). It was beyond our expectations. The beds are extremely comfortable, the bathroom amenities are very nice, the kitchen is well stocked and the decor is fabulous. I must mention the very large veranda overlooking the ocean. It is private, extremely large and has a spectacular view of the ocean, the pools and the grounds. We loved sitting outside every day. We really enjoyed the lovely pools and poolside food and beverages. I loved my massage at the spa so much that I booked a second visit and was not disappointed. Pam and the rest of the front desk staff arranged several outings for us and we were very pleased with the guides. I appreciated the staff booking our Tropic Air flights and attending to every detail of our trip. Housekeeping was excellent. The location is definitely a highlight. It is so close to everything in San Pedro, yet the feeling inside the resort is serene and peaceful. This resort is definitely luxurious, yet not pretentious in any way. It never felt crowded. I have stayed in many top hotels and resorts around the world and The Phoenix is now one of my favorite places anywhere. We loved the Red Ginger restaurant on site so much that we ate there numerous times. On one occasion, the chef prepared the fresh fish my husband and son caught and it was divine. The only disappointment was the Red Ginger is closed on Tuesdays and you cannot get food at the restaurant, from room service or at the pool on Tuesdays. This is not a big deal as there are many other options close by. All recommendations from the staff were spot on. We had heavy rain for 2 days, which forced us to stay indoors. However, the accomodations are so nice that we did not even mind. The complimentary local cell phone, the taxi to and from the airport and the personal attention from the staff truly make the experience at The Phoenix special. Do be aware there are no elevators, so if you cannot walk up and down steep stairs, ask for a first floor condo. I just cannot say enough good things about The Phoenix. I agonized about where to stay while researching for this trip. Thanks to these reviews I chose The Phoenix and I cannot wait to return to this slice of paradise.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Houston2007
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
Reviewed September 6, 2013

We spent the first three days of our honeymoon on the north side of the island and then came to the city for the next five nights. We didn't think our stay at Azul could be matched, but Phoenix did it. What a beautiful resort. Everyone is extremely friendly and the condo was amazing. It is also in the perfect location to walk everywhere in the city. If we go back, we wouldn't stay anywhere else!

Room Tip: We stayed in A9 and I am pretty sure it had to be one of the nicest at the resort. It is on the 3rd...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jessica B
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 31, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for two full weeks for our anniversary and loved every minute of it! Its in a great location- you can walk to everything, however we rented a golf cart just cause. The staff are unbelievable and help you find the best stuff to do. People on the island strive to have the Phoenix hotel recommend them - thats mean they are the best! We went scuba diving, fishing, golfing (on the only golf course island) and the hotel set us up for everything with no extra cost! The fishing (I am not going to tell you who because you need to stay here to findout) was the best by far! Back to the hotel, great little gym we used daily with a great group on tuesdays and thursday for yoga:) Perfect spa, with great masseuse's. Great resort but laid back feel. The rooms were clean and beautiful! I cant say more, if you stay here you will be VERY happy. Also, they have one of the best restaurants on the island right at the hotel:)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KJBKKKHK
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed August 25, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Phoenix for four nights in August. We chose the Phoenix based in part on all of the favorable Trip Advisor reviews and the hotel did not disappoint.

When we arrived at the hotel (via taxi, and the hotel pays for the taxi cost, which is a nice touch), the front desk staff had cold towels and a rum cocktail waiting for us. This was in addition to the rum and mixers in the room, as well as the postcards with personal notes (referencing our anniversary). On the first night a bottle of wine was left in our refrigerator with another celebratory note.

The rooms are immaculate and very large. We were in room B5, which is a one bedroom/one bath located in the middle building on the third floor. (Note: there are no elevators in the property so if you end up on the third floor, be prepared to hike the steep stairs often.) The bed is comfortable and the bathroom is modern and spacious. There is plenty of room in the suite, and that doesn't even include the veranda. The top floor verandas don't appear to have quite the shade the lower floor ones do; this is something to keep in mind as it does get rather hot. The "B" building is located closest to front desk and the street. We had an amazing view of the pool/ocean from the veranda. From the front door, our view was of the street, police station, and fire station.

The property is located in the middle of San Pedro. It's walking distance to nearly everything. It's a little bizarre to be right across the street from the police station and fire station. It does take some getting used to being next to some less established areas, but while on the property we felt totally isolated. No safety concerns whatsoever.

I cannot say enough good things about the staff. They go out of their way to be helpful. When I was having trouble finding soursop to purchase (a local fruit not easily found in the US), the staff starting making calls and even posting on their personal Facebook pages in the hopes of finding soursop. Although we could not find any, it was not for lack of trying.

The only reason I gave the Phoenix a very good instead of excellent is because the spa is very disorganized. When we arrived on Saturday we went to the spa and made spa appointments. However, when we arrived for the massages several days later the spa attendant had apparently forgotten to let the masseuses know and thus we had to be rescheduled. Not a big deal, but we did have to adjust our plans a bit because of the disorganization.

Overall, this is the place to stay in San Pedro. Great location, great staff, and top-notch amenities and rooms.

Room Tip: The "B" building is furthest from the water. Third floor rooms have great views but the v...
Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jpkitner
Houston, Tx
Reviewed August 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Phoenix in June 2012 and fell in love with the staff there, the town of San Pedro, and all of Ambergris Caye really. I wrote a very lengthy, glowing review after that stay. This past July, we returned with our 3 kids in tow (ages 17, 15 and 13). I am proud to report that our 2nd trip to the Phoenix was every bit as great as the 1st! I was nervous, because lightning rarely strikes twice, so we were prepared to be slightly disappointed (maybe it wasn't AS NICE as we remembered? type deal) ..... but no, everything was spectacular! We had a lovely 3 bedroom/3 bath condo on the 3rd floor overlooking the pool and ocean. As mentioned in hundreds of reviews here, the condos are wonderfully equipped, spacious, and comfortable!! The up side to staying at the Phoenix, versus some of the nicer resorts on the north or south end of the island, is LOCATION! At the Phoenix, you are literally right in the middle of all the action, and yet, it's like you're a million miles away at the same time because of how quiet and serene it is there. Trust me - you can't go wrong staying at the Phoenix!! I want to move there when I retire! =)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Ellen J
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this hotel yet. I booked based on TripAdvisor reviews (which never steer me wrong!) and I was blown away by the service and the rooms. All of these tiny touches - from the complimentary punch and cool towels when you arrive to the traditional drink fixings (I'm Southern) in the room when you arrive, it was like every little detail had been considered. And the rooms were HUGE. Spacious, airy, and beautiful. There was a good selection of movies and books if you decided to stay in for the day or evening as well. Room service was quick and the food was excellent - we could've spent the entire vacation in our room (well, we almost did!). The view from our room was also outstanding and the patio felt private even though it was connected to another room. We were on the 3rd floor overlooking the pool and the ocean - it was just beautiful. The bathroom is big and has a wonderful tub and the kitchen is full service if you want to make your own meals. We took advantage of the walkability of the location and bought snacks/sandwich makings from a grocer up the street. We also easily hit the beach and walked to various bars and restaurants during our 4 night stay. Before we left, we got massages at the spa and this also was an exquisite experience. Great masseuse, very relaxing atmosphere, and felt very serene and romantic. Everything was impeccable, I just can't say enough about how fabulous the property was - clean, beautiful, great service, great food, good value, great location. I hope to return one day!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple