“Wonderful Experience”

Ranked #1 of 54 Hotels in San Pedro
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Wonderful Experience”
Reviewed August 7, 2012

If you are traveling to San Pedro, The Phoenix resort is the best place to stay hands down. They have A+ service. The Phoenix Staff will leave no stones left unturned. This was the first time visiting Belize and will not be the last! My first impression of Belize was amazing and I have to give The Phoenix much credit for that. The food in the near by restaurants was great as well as the vendor food. Although it rained a couple of days, I still enjoyed every minute of it- it was rain season so I couldn't complain. The beach in front was a small strip but still very beautiful just enough to appreciate the sunset and immaculate sea. The Phoenix staff made it easy for my wife and I to enjoy the adventures and recommended the best sights to see. While San Pedro gives you a much different perspective of the country, I was still able to get an authentic experience by visiting some local businesses, volunteering at a school, and of course the tasty food from the vendors that are at the park at night. My wife who is a Belizean, was leery of taking me to a resort because she wanted to make sure I had an authentic experience; after our trip she was reassured that San Pedro did offer the perfect combination of comfort and authenticity- I trust that she would know otherwise. We did visit Caye Caulker during our stay. Her family greeted us kindly and gave us an even broader perspective of this beautiful country. Thank you Phoenix for arranging the transportation for this trip! I would highly recommend this resort and San Pedro to anyone. You must also spend time inland where you will find different staple foods and a different Belizean experience!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank mrklean1911

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
  • Turkish first
Reviewed August 7, 2012

This was the first time visiting a resort in Belize. When I do go to Belize, I stay on Caye Caulker or inland- Belize City or Progresso. Being that it was my first time taking my husband to Belize, I wanted him to have the perfect blend of authentic Belize and Belizean food as well as a relaxing and comfortable environment. The Phoenix offered such pleasure and experience. It was the perfect setting for a group trip (we had 5 friends join us) and the location was in the heart of the attractions. I would advise that folks visit during lobster season- closer to the end of June if they don't mind the rain season- so they can indulge in all the fresh lobster and festival. Make sure to visit the neighboring island , Caye Caulker and if you want to taste other Belizean staple foods go inland for "Northern foods". The adventures were well planned out and the staff was great in assisting us in organizing them. On the last two nights we stayed in a dflifferent condo because our water heater busted, however, Mark was very professional and took good care of us-we even got our last two nights free. "Things happen" One last thing... you must try a vender who makes the best burritos - she is at Central Park in the evenings- ask for "Albertia".
Thanks Phoenix for an amazing experience- I love Belize; it's home for me and you made my guests feel just the same!

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank sduran79
Buffalo, NY
Reviewed August 7, 2012

We stayed at The Phoenix for a week for our anniversary from July 27-August 4. We had stayed at the Phoenix in 2010 and were blown away then by the service and facilities. Somehow, The Phoenix still managed to exceed our expectations on this trip.

Prior to our arrival, I arranged for excursions and dinner reservations through the very helpful front desk staff. A big thanks to Pam, Rose, Gabriella, and Ted. They make everything so easy.

At check-in, we were greeted with a cool towel and a yummy ginger drink in Belikin glasses (that were ours to keep). When Gabriella showed us to our room, I couldn't believe that we had been upgraded to a 2 bedroom suite (A8). We had stayed in a 1 bedroom in 2010 and had thought that was fabulous.

There were fresh flowers everywhere in our suite, along with a beautiful welcome back spelled out on our bed along with complimentary slippers. Robes were also available.

They room is over the top luxurious. Even the smaller bath had a walk in marble shower. There was some very cute original art work in this bath (a colorful fish, a stingray hugging the mirror). Just some of the amazing amenitities: washer/dryer (yes, they even replinish the soap, but we remembered to bring dryer sheets with us this time); purified drinking water (with complimentary Phoenix water bottles to take on excursions); refrigerator with ice maker; jacuzzi in main bath wit hdouble sink; flat screen TVs in every room along with docking stations and DVD players; complimentary cell phone with 10 free minutes; Aveda bath products; turn down service; I could go on and on.

For our anniversary, we were presented with a chilled bottle of white wine. Our bed was also decorate with petals spelling out "Happy Anniversary."

I did not lug my computer with me since I knew they have a business center. There are now three computers in the business center (along with a library of books and games for guests to borrow).

The pools are beautiful with plenty of lounge chairs. I was stunned when a guest "saved" three chairs one morning, putting towels on them at 9:30 and not claiming them until 12:30. There simply is no reason to do this at the Phoenix since there are so many chairs. It was one of the few rude acts by guests that we witnessed. We also really enjoy swimming laps in the lap pool and my only suggestion to the Phoenix would be to please, please, keep the lap pool as a lap pool. I don't know why parents think it's perfectly OK to bring floats and little kids into the lap pool while I am swimming laps. There are two other much bigger pools for the kiddies.

Yes, there is a sea wall in front of the Phoenix, but it's plenty of fun to jump off the Paradise dock. Be sure to bring water shoes, though, as my husband and I fished out lots of beer bottles from the sea bed near the dock.

We especially enjoyed our anniversary excursion that the front desk booked with Eric. We had a private snorkel tour and beach BBQ. Eric and Dorian took great care of us, even catching lobsters for us to have at lunch. Eric makes a mean lobster ceviche! So many nice touches, too, like fresh pineapple after our first snorkel stop. For our anniversary dinner, we went to Hidden Treasures. It was a rough 10 minute taxi ride (which is complimentary), though.

I highly recommend Richie's for groceries. The store is 1/2 block north (to the right) of the Phoenix. They have a good variety and the prices are reasonable. There is an excellent fruit and veggies stand outside Richie's where we stocked up on so much delicious fruit.

We loved Caliente (a sister property, so you get a 10% discount) for lunch, along with Estel's Dine by the Sea (how can you beat Sangria with your toes in the sand). Carambas was also a good choice for an inexpensive meal, with great service, a short walks from the resort. And of course there is Fidos for good food at a reasonable price. We also had an excellent dinner at Red Ginger, their on-site restaurant. Loved their lobster chowder and grouper. Red Ginger was price very reasonably for an upscale dining experience.

I got a facial at the on-site Sol Spa. It was done nicely. The staff are American trained, and they do charge American prices.

The fitness center is very important to us. I noticed a review from several months ago that said that some of the equipment was broken. Trust me, nothing was broken during our stay (we worked out every day). There is a treadmill, elliptical, and two bikes, along with a weight machine, free weights, and assorted equipment (balls, mats). There were always plenty of towels and sanitizer, so it was amazing to watch guests use the equipment and not wipe it down. Again, just rude. Also, one guest thought it was perfectly OK to blast her workout music while she did her aerobics. NOT COOL!!! Even if I liked her music, it completely works against the peaceful vibe, especially at 7:00 a.m.

I travel extensively for work and stay in a wide variety of places. Although some mega resorts might have butler service, and there might be some thousands of dollars a night place that provides more (although it's hard to see how), I just can't imagine another place that provides better service and amenitities for the price, along with a gorgeous beachfront location. We will be back!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Nittany&Fargo
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 6, 2012

This resort is the king of little details. They have iPads you can use during your stay and the free wifi together is awesome. Every employee is extremely nice and they personalize everything for you. The food at the resort is WONDERFUL. We had almost everything on the menu while we were there and never had anything we didn't rave about afterwards. Our 2 bedroom suite was everything we wanted it to be and more. I will definitely go back to Belize again and it will be to stay at this resort.

Room Tip: The 2 bedrooms that face east have a wonderful view of the water
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank adwoa14
TN
Reviewed August 5, 2012

This resort didn't skimp on the luxury and the amenities at all. I promise it was like staying in your own residence or definitely an upgrade from it!!! I was very comfortable during my week long stay there. The staff was efficient, friendly and helpful. Love the ginger drink served upon arrival!

While the Phoenix is a VERY ELEGANT/UPSCALE resort, it just didn’t do ‘it’ for me. As with any lodging option, one has to consider what’s truly important to them.

Are you looking to be in the midst of the hustle and bustle of the town? The Phoenix is for you. Once you walk out of the resort, you are instantly surrounded by those in cars, golf carts, and bicycles, in addition to those who travel by foot. Look both ways, lol!

Are you looking for total seclusion from everything and everyone? Well, the Phoenix is not for you.

Do you want to lie out in the sun on the beach right in front of the resort? The Phoenix is not for you. There’s a very narrow strip of beach in the front with a boardwalk. This is a very high traffic area for the locals and visitors. Please don’t walk on the sand barefoot- your feet will be cut from the broken glass in it. If you want to visit a decent beach, you will need to walk, drive or catch a cab to another resort.

Do you want to feel like you are home away from home? YES, THE PHOENIX IS FOR YOU!!! There’s nothing missing in each unit- I mean absolutely nothing. If you want to take advantage of the kitchen, everything you need’s there in addition to being in very close proximity to the Belizean owned grocery stores, Richie’s (very close) and Super Buy (close, but a little more walking).

Do you want the ease of dining, shopping and partying without relying on vehicular transportation? The Phoenix is for you. Renting a golf cart is strictly optional. Everything you need is literally in walking distance. I loved walking to Annie's bakery (can you say YUM) and to Caliente restaurant to redeem my discount given to me by The Phoenix (thanks a bunch)!

Are you concerned about safety? No need to be because the resort has plain clothed staff and the resort sits directly in front of San Pedro's finest- the police and fire department.

With all of this said, I didn’t realize what was important to me until after being at the Phoenix and comparing it to some of the other resorts/bed and breakfast/hotels in the area. Since I am trying to watch my pennies and I prefer my lodging to somewhat resemble how the citizens of the country live, I will look into other options when I visit San Pedro.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
19 Thank SugaTn
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed August 5, 2012

The resort was amazing! I would note the following:

Pros:
- The views of the beach are unmatched
- The staff is amazing and very friendly
- The restaurant food was amazing!!
- The pool...is to die for...so much fun and such pristine views
- The bed...was SO comfortable and soft! Loved it!
- Security was the best...there is always a security person on duty at all hours...always felt safe

Cons:
- The water quality is bad...bathing, washing, etc. We have had items that were white turn yellow in the washer.
- They are raising their prices by about 20% for 2013! Yikes!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank David C
Reviewed July 31, 2012 via mobile

All I could say is.. You have to stay here! This is the best hotel and their service is excellent from the minute you arrive until the time you leave. They are very accommodating! They helped booked our tours, return our golf cart rentals, book our transfers, provide you with a cell phone to use during your stay, and practically anything you need they will do their best to assist you. The pool was very nice and spacious. Direct access to the beach and your con town already. You can walk to rent your bikes or grab food just outside your hotel. They have 3 restaurants: red ginger, blue water grill, and caliente and can order for delivery to your room. Excellent in every way! You guys rock! Keep up the great work!

• Stayed July 2012