“Not quite 4 stars and not quite ready yet - okay choice if you want seclusion”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Brahma Blue Resort

and 1 more site!
Brahma Blue Resort
Ranked #13 of 21 San Pedro B&B and Inns
Houston, TX
“Not quite 4 stars and not quite ready yet - okay choice if you want seclusion”
Reviewed January 3, 2009

I stayed here 12/27-31. It is a new condo resort across the lagoon from San Pedro and is not beachfront/oceanfront, although they do have two sand/beach areas along the lagoon. The pool is nice but there is no snack or bar service. The rooms are spacious and very nice (granite counters, comfortable beds, good linens, fully supplied kitchen, etc.) The resort is very secluded from town because of it's location across the lagoon. They have a private boat to take you back and forth which runs about every 1.5 hours (first boat at 8:30 and last at around 10.) I went diving early and one of the chefs took me over at 5:30PM which was very nice. I made arrangements to stay in town late one evening and was promised to have a boat pick me up at 11PM. No one was there so I had to call over to the restaurant and ask the chef to pick me up (which he graciously did). Staff try to be helpful but aren't always around (front desk was closed by 8PM). The restaurant (Indian) is very good (note: there is no room service.) Each condo has a TV but no phone or alarm clock. I used my cell phone to wake me up and they provide a wake up service. The grocery store is only 4 blocks from the dock in San Pedro but they really should offer a grocery service for guests as a convenience. The property runs 100% on generators and they are noisy (not bad if you keep your doors and windows closed but loud if you open them). We lost power every day in the evening.

I had a fine time but wouldn't stay at Brahma Blue again for the reasons stated above. I'd wait until they get the kinks worked out. If you are looking for romantic seclusion or don't mind the inconvenience of not being able to get into town when you want to without waiting up to an hour for a boat and don't mind heading back to your room by 10 each night then it's okay.

• Liked — Rooms were well appointed and spacious
  • Disliked — Too remote and staff not available enough when needed
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled solo

Business
Winnipeg
Reviewed December 23, 2008

I just got back from a four-day stay at Brahma Blue and absolutely loved it. Its remote location allowed me to unwind and relax when I wanted to and yet I could hop into a water taxi and go snorkeling, visit San Pedro or go on other excursions whenever I wanted as well.

I loved the swimming pool area and the west side of the property the most. The swinging lounges, the pier and the water were all very conducive to relaxing and enjoying a nice sunset. The balcony off my room also offered a spectacular view and was a perfect place to sit and read a book. And I would be remiss if I didn't mention the bathroom. What an amazing shower! It was a great place to go to after spending the day in ocean or tubing through a cave!

I had my 16-year-old son with me on this recent trip to Brahma Blue and was my way of trying to reconnect with him after a very busy year filled with changes in our personal life. The staff at Brahma Blue helped us plan excursions that both of us would love and we ended up doing something each day that we enjoyed - snorkeling, cave tubing, hanging around the beach or shopping in San Pedro. The relaxed pace at Brahma Blue also allowed my son and I to just relax, hang out and spend some quality time together. As a woman traveling without an adult partner, I felt completely safe on the resort and was thrilled to not have to worry about vendors trying to sell us stuff or anything like that. Safety is a concern for me on vacations and I had no worries at Brahma Blue.

My only dilemma is trying to figure out when I'll get back.

• Liked — The view off my balcony, the sunset and sunrise, and the friendly staff
  • Disliked — The staircase to the top floor may be a problem for older vacationers. My mom would have a hard time getting up them and if I took her we'd need to stay on ground level.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
Peace River
Reviewed December 9, 2008

So we came across an add for Brahma Blue when I was searching for popular vacation spots. Mexico came up on more than one occasion too, but let's face it.....Mexico has become too dangerous and boring already. We are sooooo happy we chose to go to Belize! Great weather, so much to do and an awesome nightlife. I would highly suggest this as a vacation spot to anyone looking to get away for spring break or young couples looking for a honeymoon spot. My boyfriend and I could not have been any more pleased with the decision we made to go to Belize. See you next December Belize:)

Stayed December 2008
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed November 27, 2008

I am not usually one to take risks on a brand new resort for a holiday, considering my time away is sacred, but this is one risk I am so glad I took and would recommend it to anyone!

Brahma Blue is new-ish (i think a year old) and it's a great time for anyone who needs a week or two or four away to unwind.

List of highlights: THE FOOD at Blue Lotus (the resort's restaurant), the fact that it's on its own island, the amazingly nice staff, THE FOOD, the pool, the spa treatments, the amazing sunset, the lovely people of Belize, how chilled out the island of San Pedro is which is five minutes away (the actual island Madonna sings about in her La Isla Bonita song), the Pina Coladas at Blue Lotus, THE FOOD (did i mention that already?), the very beautiful condos, the comfortable beds, really this list could go on...

Things that could be improved: the bugs at dusk...and really that's it.

Yes, this may sound too good to be true, but I swear, I travel a lot and this place was by far the best resort experience I have ever had. The fact that the owners are on site makes this experience even better, and the small-ness, and comfortable nature of it should not be missed.

It's perfect for a family get-away, friends get-away, mother/daughter get-aways, couples get-away, even someone on their own who needs to just be in a place of serenity to find themselves again.

• Stayed November 2008
1 Thank reeds_1977
Calgary, Alberta
Reviewed November 21, 2008

Earlier this month, my husband and I were married at the Brahma Blue Resort. It was absolutely incredible and everything about it exceeded our expectations!

We planned our wedding on very short notice and the staff at Brahma Blue was prompt, informative and worked hard to get us the best deals and arrange all of the details for us. We did our entire wedding for under $7500 US! This included a sunset cruise along the reef, the wedding ceremony under a gorgeous palapa hut right on the water with exotic flowers and decorations, a flavourful Indian dinner from their restaurant Blue Lotus and a fun local DJ for the reception. We even got upgraded to the penthouse as our “honeymoon” suite!

The day of the wedding, my husband and I both indulged in the resort’s special “chocolate coffee scrub”. It was the best spa treatment we both have ever had! It started with a coffee body scrub rubbed into your skin with a warm chocolate mixture. While you are wrapped up, you get a fresh papaya facial. Then after you shower to remove the coffee/chocolate mixture you douse yourself with warm coconut milk all over your body. And there’s more! You get a full body oil massage and a mint scalp massage. When we were done the 3-hour treatment, we were glowing! It was well worth the $220!

The condos and amenities were perfect. Our guests loved their accommodations, complete with a/c, gorgeous bathrooms and full kitchens so you could cook meals and snacks whenever you wanted. Everyone raved about the freshly prepared food at the Blue Lotus restaurant. Everyone loved hanging out at the pool watching sunset and getting reflexology foot massages ($1/minute).

Brahma Blue’s service is truly first class. They greeted each of our guests with a “signature” drink and a cool towel at the dock upon arrival - what a treat after a long journey! The front desk staff also pre-arranged a snorkeling trip for us and got us an amazing deal on a group trip to the Mayan ruins. On the day of the wedding, my husband and I didn’t worry about anything, we could see that the staff knew exactly what to do – the flowers, table decorations and food were all perfect. Everyone from the front desk staff and massage therapist to the bartenders, servers and housekeeping staff were amazing – they all had smiles on their faces and by the end of the trip we were all on first name basis.

I highly recommend Brahma Blue for a destination wedding. They really worked hard to make our wedding a perfect and memorable event for us and our guests. Ironically, while we were there we met a couple from Colorado who was celebrating their 20th wedding anniversary. My husband and I can’t wait to do the same, but I think we’ll probably go back sooner!

• Liked — Top-notch, personal service
  • Disliked — No screens on patio doors
  • Stayed November 2008
edmonton
Reviewed November 18, 2008

Brahma Blue is still a pretty new resort and you could see the eagerness in the staff's eyes to do everything just right. And they did! They even took care of finding the luggage lost by my airline and delivering it right into my hands.

The condo/room was stunning, comfortable, and the view from my balcony was of a gorgeous red sunset every evening.

The property had lots of wonderful little spots to spend time. I spent a couple of hours in the pool each day. Had a coffee/chocolate scrub/wrap at the spa that was divine. Went kayaking around the tiny island that Brahma Blue sits on.

Best of all though? Was the food. The Blue Lotus restaurant was the BEST food I've ever eaten. From traditional Indian delicacies to Belizean specialties everything was spectacular. Mouth-watering, in fact. And that ginger/mint/lime and soda drink was unbelievably refreshing. Just like the island breeze that blew all day, keeping me comfortable in the heat.

• Liked — The private feel of the location
  • Disliked — The stairs were a little slippery/dangerous
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
2 Thank realmoments
Calgary
Reviewed November 12, 2008

The resort is situated on an island, and at the present time there are no other resorts located there. There is a 2 minute water taxi ride back to the town of San Pedro, Belize.

I went to the resort to attend a wedding. I frankly wasn't quite sure what to expect, as the resort is relatively new and I was expecting some growing pains. Nothing could be further from the truth, the staff operated flawlessly and the condo my family rented was far above expectations. We rented one of the "end units" with 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms a living room, kitchen and dining room. I've rented 'flats' all over the world and this one was the best we'd ever stayed in. Clean, spacious, well stocked, LCD TVs and even windows that opened (for the beautiful Belizian breeze).

We spent some time in San Pedro, shopping for groceries with the locals and was surprised at how much was easily available even Kraft Dinner for the kids! I loved the fact that there are very very few cars allowed in San Pedro, people get around mostly on golf carts and by walking. Shopping with the locals was a treat, no street harassment by beggers, no hawkers trying to grab our attention, and no gaggle of tourists tripping over each other on their way to get caught at the next tourist trap!

English is the national language (having roots in the British Empire). I have to admit that although I consider myself quite well travelled, not having to carry around my translation books was a tremendous treat. We were able to get a hair cut, cough medicine and shop for groceries - stress free.

I was surprised that the restaurant on the Brahma Blue site was largely Indian food. Although there is other food available, being a vegetarian - Indian food is my preferred choice. And what Indian food! Really, some of the best I've ever had... including New Delhi, London, Barcelona, Seattle, Vancouver, Calgary.... I was in heaven.

I'm already planning my trip back... Oh! Almost forgot - the wedding was beautiful. :)

• Liked — Cleanliness and peaceful.
  • Disliked — Bugs biting while at the pool.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family