“Chic luxurious way to stay in Belize!”

Las Terrazas Resort
Ranked #10 of 54 Hotels in San Pedro
Texas, USA
“Chic luxurious way to stay in Belize!”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

We went to Las Terrazas for my husband's company meeting. While there, we had a one-bedroom apartment-style room with a pool view which was perfect for our small family. I LOVED our rooms and didn't want to leave them (not that I had much choice with a constantly napping baby)! They had all the appliances including a fridge, dishwasher, and washer/dryer combo (with all detergent/soap included) and the décor is contemporary but comfortable. Best of all, the bedrooms stay quiet when you're in the living room watching tv in the living room. Our room had two bathrooms and the only fault I found was that our showers were too hot and we couldn't seem to get them to a nice warm temperature level. It seemed like the water heaters weren't working correctly but we never complained about it since we were only there for 3 days. The resort itself was AMAZING and the staff is some of the best I have encountered in my travels. We had an infant with us and the staff was incredibly courteous keeping an eye on her while my frazzled new-mom self was trying to get stuff out of the diaper bag or clearing the table of anything baby would grab at. The food was pretty good (both room service and at the restaurant, O) and the roof-top dinner we had at O was so much fun! The bartenders were great at keeping the glasses full and the view of the stars was magnificent. Yes, the resort is expensive and geared towards those seeking luxury or non-family types but we stayed at Coco Beach after leaving Las Terrazas (to meet up with family) and I wish we had just stayed at Las Terrazas instead! While we were there it rained nearly every day and the electricity went out several times but it turned back on pretty quickly after going out. Accordingly, the wifi was a bit spotty but no worse than at Coco Beach.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Mrs_Lotus

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
San Francisco
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Don't get me wrong, Las Terrazas is nice, very nice. But, considering the price, there are many drawbacks. The property is pretty and the rooms are modern and comfortable. However, our "ocean view" penthouse was more like a partial view, obstructed by the buildings in front. Internet in our first room was only occasionally working and often very slow although it was more reliable and faster in our second room. Despite the faster internet in our second room, one of the two bathrooms turned out to be detached from rest of the room, requiring a short but awkward walk outside where others can see you, especially from the restaurant. At nearly $2000 per night, we expected something closer to perfection. The beach in front of the property is okay but nothing spectacular. We also found the location of the property 30 minutes from town to be problematic at times when we tired of the eating at the hotel's good restaurant. The $50 for a round trip water taxi exacts a steep tax for meals out in town. The front desk tries very hard to accommodate every need but the housekeeping was uneven, not necessarily cleaning the kitchen. All said, I will miss jogging and biking along the beach trail to the north of the property. By the way, there is no gym. The nearby dive shop was also excellent. For a lower price, I think I would be more excited to return.

Room Tip: Would skip the ocean view rooms.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank 5fortravel
LasTerrazasTeam, Director of Sales at Las Terrazas Resort, responded to this review, January 5, 2014
Our team certainly enjoyed hosting you and your family during the holiday season and we appreciate your kind words regarding the front desk staff. In addressing your comments, while the 3rd floor Ocean View Penthouses with private plunge pools on the ocean view balcony offer a beautiful sea view, your expectations may have better been met by reserving an Ocean Front Sea House located directly on the beach. Your second reserved room type for your last night with us was a Sunset View with roof top Master Bedroom offering a tremendous view and balcony bath and shower. While many have enjoyed the romantic ambiance of this roof top Master Bedroom we certainly do understand your personal sentiment.

Also, our resort is indeed located north of town providing an element of privacy and exclusivity which is viewed as an asset by the majority of our guests. Transportation to town by water taxi, land taxi or golf cart does come at a cost. I trust that our front desk made you aware of the restaurant options within walking distance and those offering free boat transfer in the evenings.

We do want to apologize for our shortcomings in housekeeping and the Internet issues that you experienced. Such constructive criticism always help us to improve upon our services to our valued guests.

We want to again thank you for staying with us and taking the time to post your comments. If I can personally help you with a future reservation, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards

Carolyn Stone
Director of Sales
Las Terrazas Resort
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed December 19, 2013

After LOTS of looking, my fiance and I decided on Las Terrazas and I'm so happy we did. If you're looking for lots of hustle and bustle then you might be happier staying in San Pedro. We were looking for quiet relaxation and that's what we got at Las Terrazas (LT). Walter met us at the airport in San Pedro and took us and our luggage to the dock where the LT boat was waiting for us. We took a lovely 10 minute boat trip to the resort (the boat was partially covered to shield us and our luggage from rain/splashing). We were greeted at the resort with punch and the option to add rum (we added rum!). Their "lobby" is outdoors and check-in was quick and easy. We got a 1 bedroom resort view on the ground floor (132) just off of the pool. It's not a room...it's an apartment. We had a large living space with a flat screen TV, couch, 2 chairs, and a coffee table. Behind that was a dining area with a 6 person dining table. To the left was a full kitchen (stove, microwave, dishwasher, refrigerator, coffee maker, washer/dryer combo). The bedroom was to the left of the living area and had a king size (maybe queen?) bed, dresser, 2 bedside tables, flat screen TV, walk-in closet area with lots of shelving and hangers and a large safe, and a large bathroom with plenty of counter space, a bathtub and shower stall. They have a reverse osmosis system so all water was safe to drink...I got mine from the fridge dispenser.
We ate at the on-site restaurant, O, several times during our stay and the food was pretty good. Bernie was our bartender (we always sit at the bar) for the majority of our visits and she was very friendly and accommodating. My favorite dish we tried there was the seafood risotto. The restaurant looks out onto the long infinity pool. We did not have the opportunity to use the pool because we stayed busy and/or it was raining.
A boat taxi makes regular stops at the resort if you need to get to San Pedro. We used it most days just to explore. We spent a day walking around San Pedro. We took a flight from San Pedro back to Belize City where we did a cave tubing/zip lining tour. We went to San Pedro to catch a boat to Caye Caulker and walk around. You can also rent a golf cart from the resort (it's cheaper to rent in San Pedro) but the road was pretty bad from all the rain. We did take one out on our last day and we got stuck once...luckily my fiance is 6'5" and strong so he was able to pull us out...just be careful!
The day we snorkeled we walked right next door to the White Sands dive shop (I believe they are affiliated with LT) and they took us directly to Hol Chin and Shark-Ray Alley. It was a GREAT trip and a must-do!
Overall the staff were all VERY kind and very helpful! The grounds are well-kept and gorgeous (iguanas come out and sun in the grassy areas). The restaurant is very nice. It's not too far north. It was a great choice for us and I would recommend it highly. Also, we didn't have the chance to utilize them but they have free kayaks and bikes available to guests.

Room Tip: We originally had a lagoon view but they upgraded us free of charge to a resort view...I was very ha...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank DMBfan71
Houston, Texas, United States
Reviewed December 10, 2013

My company chose Las Terrazas as the location for this year's company meeting and we primarily worked with Carolyn Stone to plan the trip and coordinate the logistics. Employees were allowed to bring spouses though so it was both a business and personal trip for most of our guests. Since we were traveling primarily for business though, we required a meeting room space and other amenities that I found were not offered by many of the other hotels on San Pedro. I called/emailed just about all of them and only 1 or 2 others even had the capacity to hold us and/or a conference area. Las Terrazas was perfectly suited to meet our needs and we are very pleased with our decision.

Upon arrival (using Tropic Ferry for transfers) we were greeted with offers for neck massages in the open air lobby. I was taken aback by how beautiful the property was and how much it looked just like the pictures on the website. I was led to my room (111) which was on the first floor and directly faced the pool. Again, the room looks exactly like the pictures. The suite is immaculate and incredibly large--you could easily fit a family of four (or more) in there as there are 2 bedrooms and 2 full baths. I didn't even realize there was a second bedroom with twin beds in it until the 2nd day of our trip.

On our first evening, we had planned a dinner at the rooftop of O Restaurant. It had just been renovated and opened up that day. The chef, Patrick, met with me prior to the dinner to show me the restaurant area and confirm menu options. The staff was incredibly accommodating and the food was pretty good. (sidenote: I've found that Belizean food in general isn't all that *spectacular* but perhaps that's just a personal preference--in sum, no complaints about the food though.)

On the 2nd day of the trip we had planned a 4 hour meeting. We were given the option of an indoor conference room or the barefoot in the sand meeting room option. We chose the latter. Unfortunately it was raining all morning so we weren't able to enjoy this as much as we would have liked but Las Terrazas had set up a tent for us (at a very reasonable price) so the meeting still went on without any problems. Due to the wind/rain, we had to keep one of the tent walls closed, blocking our view of the ocean but occasionally when the rain would pass, we would bring the tent wall down and catch the most amazing and peaceful views Las Terrazas also provided a projector and screen for us to use during the meeting as well as electrical outlets for us to connect laptops.

Immediately following the meeting, we were served a lunch buffet which was set up in the tent. Again, very necessary since it continued raining a bit through lunch. Following that, we did a group snorkeling activity. Carolyn had helped us set up a snorkeling excursion at Hol Chan Marine Reserve and Shark Ray Alley. Awesome experience and it was nice to have her handle the scheduling and coordination of that for us.

That evening we were scheduled to have a Bonfire BBQ. Because of the weather, this was canceled and so we had a buffet dinner in the tent.

All in all, the trip was awesome. Being there felt like paradise. I was a little hesitant about it being so far north of the main town but those worries were eased once I realized how tranquil it is on the north part of San Pedro and that we're only a 15min water taxi ride ($5 each way) away from the main town. If I had to make any complaints, it would be that the internet on site had intermittent outages. But when you're at such a beautiful location, that should be the least of your concerns.

In sum, I'd definitely recommend it to anyone. Several of the people in our group, including myself, have already mentioned wanting to make return trips back.

Room Tip: Pool facing rooms have a great view.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank kcfallen
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed December 5, 2013

My friends and I spent 8 days at Las Terrazzas. Halfway through, I proposed to my girlfriend. I trusted the Staff, specifically Evan, to help me plan this. He and the Master Chef helped me plan every detail down to what I would say and how I would present the ring. Having their expertise to draw from made this stressful event much easier and more enjoyable. They got the staff together and communicated what was going on and what each person's role was. The surprise and the proposal went off flawlessly, with every staff member playing his or her part convincingly. We stayed in a beautiful room that was well decorated and enjoyed an amazing Dinner that was perfectly suited to our tastes. Our waiter, Kahrim, did an awesome job. He was very attentive, but allowed us to enjoy our time together. This memory could not be better in any way. If you have this or another event, I would trust Evan, Kahrim, Mr. Curl, and the Chef to make it happen.

Other than that, we enjoyed getting to know Bernie, Flor, Jamal, Eroy, LeRon, and the rest of staff during our time there. Their personalities and customer service added a lot to our stay. The resort is beautiful and relaxed. The pool is beautiful and clean as were both of the rooms we stayed in. I enjoyed the food and drink menus and even ate Thanksgiving dinner there, which was also excellent. From the moment you step on the boat at arrival to the moment you step off at departure, the staff takes a personal interest in your stay. My fiancee and I plan to return to Las Tarrazzas. Feel free to email me with questions.

-Tommy Crouch
iamtcrouch@yahoo.com

Room Tip: There is a multi-level 3 BR with the master bedroom on it's own level. Three of the walls are fu...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
allendale, NJ
Reviewed December 5, 2013

We just got back last Dec 2 2013 from another FUN FUN FUN vacation with lots of love and kindness from the whole staff at Las Terrazas.. Shout out to Leron, Eroy, Carl, Noreen, Flor, Albert, Kareem, Jamal, Shovell, Patrick and David...It's our 3rd time to come back and spend our annual thanksgiving holiday with all, and you never cease to amaze us...
Your love, kindness and assistance to our needs are very well appreciated and you will be MISSED a LOT...especially by our son, Miko
Hopeing to see you all REAL SOON...This hotel is a place away from your own home...Clean, serene and suuper peaceful and just gives a HAPPY AURA...You come back rested from staying at Las Terrazas.

Room Tip: need i say more? im very particular with the places i stay for vacations..THIS is absolutely a 5 sta...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed December 2, 2013

We were greeted with rum punch and massages. The meal plan came with complimentary room service. The complimentary use of all of the water equipment was a great way to relax and still entertain ourselves. The staff was very friendly and talkative and their service was great. We went mid Nov which was great as the weather was amazing and the peak season had not started yet. I would recommend this resort to anyone who wants a relaxing honeymoon where there is still plenty to do in addition to just water activities.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple