My husband and I stayed at Las Tarrazas for one week Nov 7 to 14, 2013. It was an escape holiday following a death in my immediate family. Though I would recommend waiting until later in Nov or more specifically further away from the end of the rainy season to go to Belize to be sure you won't get rain 80% of the time as we did, I would however, highly recommend you stay at Las Terrazas no matter when you go.
I did extensive research before picking a destination and even more research into hotel properties once I picked an island. I picked Las Terrazas based on reviews and photos, I didn't know anyone who had stayed there. I am very picky with my accommodations, though I like to do things off property and try different restaurants etc, the comfort and luxury of my immediate surroundings is important to me when you are spending this kind of money.
The Rooms: We started our stay in a plunge pool penthouse - very fun indeed. The Rooms are beautiful, very clean and modern, our bed was very comfortable, we had two bathrooms and every other modern convenience. We only used one of the 3 bedrooms but this suite would be great for 2 couples or a family with a full kitchen etc. The hotel manager David showed us a few more rooms as we were interested to see them and all of them were pretty amazing. He also did us a huge solid that we were grateful for and that made our trip so much more special. If you are one couple then the one bedroom resort view rooms are perfect. Very big units. If you don't care about view at all then the Lagoon rooms would be fine for you though they face the back of the property which is not that attractive but the rooms are all large apts. with great finishes. We were in room 345 for reference.
The Grounds: A very attractive infinity pool is the centre point of the property and it is surrounded by large tables covered by tent tops and pretty curtains. Great for getting out of the sun (or rain) to eat lunch. The entire property is very well groomed with a large staff attending to details from early morning. Even the millions of harmless sandflies (or whatever those bugs are that congregate around lights in the evening and die overnight) have a person assigned to sweeping them and getting rid of them by morning. Marco was our guy and he was very friendly and diligent!
The Food: I am a foodie no doubt. We plan trips around meals and restaurants. Due to the weather and our lack of desire to research given the reason for our trip, we at at O restaurant a lot. Breakfast everyday, lunch most days and dinner 4 out of 7 times. We never had a bad meal, in fact we thoroughly enjoyed most of our meals. The food was top notch and the variety was good. Our only complaint was the wine selection was fairly pedestrian but there was one bottle that we were happy with. Ivan the bartender was excellent and his exotic drinks were extra yummy.
The staff: This is the best part of this review. I've never been anywhere with such lovely consistent staff - we really enjoyed chatting with them all and found them incredibly helpful and professional. They dressed well and their uniforms pristine no matter how hard it was raining. Most of them knew our names early on in our stay. I read a review about a staff member knowing how a guest took their coffee after the first morning and kept it coming and this same thing happened to us. I take my coffee with cream and honey and after the first day my fave waitress Lucely showed up with cream and a small pot of honey at my table. Her attention to detail was perfect. Another example was that my husband likes his beer very cold, he asked about colder beer the first night we arrived and from them on, as soon as they saw him coming, they'd automatically put two beers on ice for him. Another night we stayed a bit late at the bar with some new friends and the staff happily stayed. We found out later they all missed their usual boat home to San Pedro but none of them showed any kind of agitation at all. Very professional staff. We also had a fondness for other regular servers, Nigel, Marco, Miguel, Manuel (front desk), Evan (rest. mgr), Ivan (again) and I know another couple we got to know really liked Noreen. The Spa was very nice, Renata gave an excellent deep tissue massage and another lovely girl whose name I don't recall was also very good (sorry, feel free to post it if you know!) I hope I didn't miss anyone.
Las Terrazas is about 4.5 miles from San Pedro, if you are someone who wants to be in town everyday, prepare to spend a lot of time on the boat taxis (about 5 minutes in the boat but timing your trips etc is a bit of a nuisance). The golf cart ride is an adventure but at this time of year, treacherous due to potholes and road flooding! If you are happy to stay put a lot of the time and enjoy the gorgeous surroundings, great staff and food, pretty beachfront then this is the place for you. I'd stay here again in a heartbeat. The only thing we could see them improving on is their wine selection and the music played in the restaurant (not much attention paid to this but we are music people so we think this could add to the ambience). Also we can't judge some things because we weren't there in high season but would suggest a more "happening" after dinner cocktail area which could be the rooftop bar (not open when we were there), or the reception area under the large hut as there is a small pool bar right there.
Overall 5 out of 5 for most elements. This is a long review but this hotel, their management and staff deserve the extra words.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- As one of the newest luxury properties on the island of Ambergris Caye, Las Terrazas is the only member of Preferred Hotels & Resorts in Belize and part of the LVX Collection. Located just 3.5 miles north of San Pedro, Las Terrazas Resort invites you to experience exceptional, spacious townhome-style accommodations and gracious Belizean hospitality at our oceanfront retreat. Situated on one of the most beautiful and secluded private beaches, our Ambergris Caye resort is an exhilarating tropical playground where you can discover Belize; "Mother Nature's best kept secret." Experience world class attractions such as diving and snorkeling, the lavish Serenity Spa and Wellness Center, fishing, zip lining and cave tubing, Mayan Ruins, or relaxing on the beach. Take advantage of our FREE Amenities including Paddle Boards, Kayaks, Hobie Cats, an Aqua Bike, Bicycles and Yoga Mats. Golf Cart Rental is available to explore the island and town of San Pedro. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Cancelon, Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Priceline, Hotwire, TripOnline SA and Evoline ltd so you can book your Las Terrazas Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Las Terrazas Hotel San Pedro
- Las Terrazas Resort Belize/San Pedro