“expectations not met and not mentioned on the web site!!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Las Terrazas Resort

Ranked #9 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Vancouver, Canada
“expectations not met and not mentioned on the web site!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

This is a hard review to write because there were some amazing things however the negatives out weighed the positives. When we booked we were told that we had a 2 or 3 bedroom suite with a minimum of one king bed and queen bed in the other bedroom with 2 full bathrooms. There was even mention of an outdoor shower? When we checked in they took us to a 2 bedroom lagoon view on the ground floor with the balcony backing on to the dirt road with a king bed and 2 singles in the second room. When we asked to be moved we were told that we could for an extra 108.00 a night. They did push the 2 single beds together.What made this worse was that a couple on their honeymoon told us that they were just upgraded from a 2 bedroom lagoon view to a 3 bedroom with a view at now charge! HMMM?

Then for the rest of the week the hotel had water problems to the point of shutting off the water for 3 days in a row. The hotel did offer us a free lunch and gave us a 1 gallon jug of water for drinking for 4 people. It would of been nice to have a jug water everyday in our room since the water had strong sulfur smell. We ended up purchasing jugs of water for the entire week.

I would expect a "luxury" hotel would have done a bit more with these issues. We found out at the end of the week that there empty 3 bedroom suites while we were there.

FYI

Las terrazas is about 5 miles north of San Pedro toll bridge. yes a toll bridge it $2.50 US each way. it is 1.5 hours to walk the beach or 30 minutes by golf cart. the golf carts cost between 200.00 and 300.00 per week. the cart is must if stay here.

Don't get me wrong I loved my trip to Belize and can wait to go back. But we will not be staying here. We checked other places while on our trip. They were all closer to San Pedro and cheaper. Captian Morgans, Phoenix, Ramons, Coco Beach to mention a few

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
LasTerrazasTeam, Director of Sales at Las Terrazas Resort, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
As we mentioned to you earlier today, the travel agent you utilized booked the room through a Wholesaler. The request we have in writing from the Wholesaler is for a 2 Bedroom Laguna Residence; which is what was provided. According to our Front Desk Staff, we offered an upgrade to the next available rate category with three bedrooms (Veranda unit 242) when it was known that the travel agent apparently made an error. We also mentioned that the rate difference would apply for the upgraded unit and the move was declined. We are truly sorry that the travel agent did not properly describe the original unit location and number of bedrooms. Laguna Residences are our lowest priced room categories. This unit is booked regularly to many very happy guests.

The honeymoon couple referred to booked and paid the three bedroom upper Lagoon unit and were indeed upgraded. We discovered that the shower glass door in the Lagoon unit was shattered and could not be replaced for 3-5 days and as we had no similar unit available they were moved to a Veranda unit. I am not sure why an oceanfront three bedroom was mentioned….perhaps just miscommunication. We had two ocean front rooms booked during your dates and both guests paid full rate.

It is also a fact that we did have an unanticipated breakdown of our reverse osmosis plant and it took a nine days to get repair parts from the USA. During this time our team worked diligently every day hauling water from nearby resorts and properties in an attempt to keep up with the demand. We did run out for a very short time and offered free bottled water until it was restored. The free lunch was a token of appreciation for the guests' inconvenience.

We offer our apologies for the reservation miscommunication by the agent as well as the water issues we unexpectedly experienced. We do appreciate the comments and the opportunity to address them; both by e-mail to you today and this public forum.

Carolyn Stone
Director of Sales
Las Terrazas Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Northborough, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We attended a niece's wedding here in January. Wonderful place with amazing staff, yummy food, relaxing pool and beach and enough to keep Type As satisfied. All activities we did thru resort were first class. Anyone else planning a designation wedding in our family?

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank PTESRE
Belmopan, Belize
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

My family and I recently stayed at beautiful Las Terrazas, a boutique resort on San Pedro, Ambergris Caye (BELIZE). ....From the refreshing welcoming drink to the final goodbye, we really felt the warmth and friendliness of the staff. The resort is trulya gem -- beautiful setting, great amenities and friendly staff. <3

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Fair Lawn, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

I recently returned from my first trip to Belize which included a 6 night stay at Las Terrazas Resort and I am very happy that I choose to stay at this resort instead of others I saw on the beach. The accommodations were very nice as they included full kitchens and appliances which allowed you to cook if you did not want to go out to dinner, however, the food all over the island was very good so I would recommend going out. The location of the resort was secluded enough to allow you to feel that you were on your own island, however, you could easily get to town by water taxi or golf cart. If you are looking to rent a golf cart you may want to do so ahead of time because the hotel only had a few on site and when we wanted to take one it was not available. There were also many restaurant options on the beach that were in easy walking distance from the hotel. The food at the resort was very good (we ate breakfast and lunch/snack there) and I would highly recommend the shrimp ceviche, some of the best I've had. The staff was very friendly and accommodating and answered all of our questions about the area and where to go. I would highly recommend a stay at this resort as it has the nicest beach and pool that we saw, and next time I make it back to Belize I will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

i stayed at LT recently for a friend's destination wedding. the resort grounds are nicely kept and very modern. The rooms are pretty much a full apartment each with it's own kitchen. unfortunately there aren't a lot of dining options apart from the "O" restaurant on site which necessitates a boat ride (25 USD each way for a private boat) back to san pedro. while the food at "O" is great, it does get boring after a couple of days. but the reason for staying here is to be isolated from people in the first place.

i really enjoyed the beach and the free use of kayaks and sail boats. great way to spend some time in the sun.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank EricWai
LasTerrazasTeam, Director of Sales at Las Terrazas Resort, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Our entire team thoroughly enjoyed hosting the bride & groom and their family and friends for this recent destination wedding. Las Terrazas has become quite popular for weddings on the island; and one reason is due to our very large accommodations you referenced. The choice of two and three bedroom full size spacious town homes makes it ideal for family and friends to share accommodations and costs thereby providing an affordable luxury experience.

We appreciate your positive comments regarding O Restaurant. Chef Patrick and his team are quite talented. Our exclusive location, 3.5 miles north of San Pedro does not surround us with numerous restaurants, however, when wanting to dine somewhere other than O Restauarant, other options include Rendevous; located directly next door; Cocoblanca; which is just up the beach; LeBistro and Mambo north of Las Terrazas both provide complimentary boat transfer to their establishments for dinner and Hidden Treasures in town provides complimentary cab transfer from Las Terrazas for dinner. Each of these options prevents paying for water taxi; whether private of public. The exorbitant price of fuel on the island contributes to what can be perceived as an expensive transfer option. A group of 5 on the private water taxi is priced at $25 one way or $5 per person vs the public water taxi at $7 per person one way.

Should you have the opportunity to again travel to Ambergris Caye and stay at Las Terrazas Resort, please reach out to me personally. I look forward helping you.

Carolyn Stone
Director of Sales
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I just returned from vacationing in Belize, and believe me, Las Terrazas is where it's at!! I couldn't have asked for better service. Rooms and grounds were extremely clean, great restaurant on premises, beautiful infinity pool, superb spa--my deep tissue massage had me in an REM state of sleep--seriously, and the staff GLADLY caters to patrons. Jamie, Manuel, Laron and Tracy are ESPECIALLY FANTASTIC and went above and beyond merely being helpful. Their willingness to make me feel at home is to be lauded! They are totally AWESOME!! This resort made a wonderful lasting impression on me! I would CERTAINLY return, and I am over the top/OCD particular, so that is a REALLY big deal coming from me. Book your trip to this AMAAAAZING resort NOW!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank savvysiren
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I, like many of you, shopped around A LOT, reading reviews, looking for lower prices for various types of places in Ambergris Caye. I was forced finally to settle for LT since everything eventually became way overpriced (I wasn't willing to spend over $400/night and found this deal on Jetsetters for LT) or was way too cheap and below my standard for quality (Pedro's Inn). Upon arrival all of my worries went away. The resort is a bunch of villas so guests tend to mind their own business which was great because I do not like tacky, overly friendly honeymooners or tourists. You get plenty of that on various sightseeing trips. They hook you up with calling water taxis, equipment like hobie cats, bikes, paddle boards, kayaks, excursion bookings, and even in some cases had complimentary service between other resorts where we went to eat. Yes it is far from San Pedro but San Pedro gets old after spending 1 evening there. And everything closes up early in town anyway. Most people do return to their resorts. There is no 'bustling' night life really in Ambergris Caye...it's a small island. I was happy to come home to LT by 9:30-10 each night.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends