This was our first trip to Belize and we couldn't be any happier with our stay at Las Terrazas. Bored of the Caribbean, we were looking for an alternative sunny spot to spend Presidents Day weekend. Ambergris Caye and Las Terrazas was just that, offering the perfect mix of luxury, relaxation and adventure.
Friends of mine had recommended staying at Mata Chica and Victoria House but both resorts were sold out. We visited both for meals while we were on the island and after seeing both are SO happy we stayed at Las Terrazas. I was a little hesitant to believe all the raving reviews on TripAdvisor but when we arrived I instantly could see what all the hype was about. The rooms are HUGE, modern, and new. The staff is warm, welcoming and attentive. And most importantly the Pina Coldas are AWESOME. Instead of recounting our experience day by day. I'll leave a couple useful travel tips from our trip.
1. Call Lorraine (1.800.447.1553) in the Houston Reservations Office to book your stay. She spent around an hour answering all of my questions about the resort, the island and walking me through the different rooms that were available during our stay. We choose a Garden Terrace Room and were able to take advantage of the 4th Night Free promotion featured on Trip Advisor.
2. Ask for Room 220. This was not a Room, this was an entire 2 stories of a townhouse featuring a full kitchen, 2 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms and 2 terraces. The terrace connected to the master bedroom is where we spent ALL of our downtime. None of the buildings are more then 3 stories high on the island, so from the terrace you can see the ocean, the lagoon and the beautiful sunrise and sunset. The terrace is outfitted with two lounge chairs, a day bed and a built in banquet. This was a great place to read and enjoy occasional visits from the hummingbirds that roam the property.
3. Order fish at "O" Restaurant. Living in New York we are a little spoiled when it comes to food. Admittingly, we found the food at "O" nothing to write home about. The only improvements the resort could make is with the food. The traditional breakfast dishes are probably the most exciting thing on the menu and the fish entrées and burgers are done well. It’s the American dishes need help - think canned jalapeños and microwave cheese.
4. Do the Lamanai Tour run by SEAduced. Maurice at the front desk will book all of your tours for you, so no need to do so before you arrive. We wanted to visit the Maya Ruins and could not be more happy with the Lamanai river adventure guided by Ricky and Leon from the SEAduced team. The tour was small, less then 20 people, and there were NO KIDS. The whole team is very knowledgeable and a lot of fun. The team picks you up at ~6:45am and you take a 1 hr boat ride to the mainland, where you eat breakfast and then take a van to the New River. During the boat tour up the New River we saw 2 packs of monkeys one with a baby on its back and a bunch of crocodiles and birds. The ruins were beautiful and our guide did a great job getting us to the sites before the other groups so we could take pictures and explore without a ton of other people. Make sure you DO NOT do any these tours when cruise ships are at port or if its raining.
5. Eat at Victoria House. The Victoria House resort is on the other side of the island but if you make a reservation you can take the water taxi to town and then a member of their staff will come pick you up in a golf cart and take you to dinner. The food is exceptional and the service is great. Despite being a "white tablecloth" type restaurant, the atmosphere is laid back and fun. Guest were wearing sandals (not flip-flops) and island casual clothing. The resort grows a lot of its produce onsite and tries to use the freshest produce available. Again, we both got fish and LOVED it. We were expecting to pay over-the-top island prices, but were pleasantly surprised when we saw that the bill was comparable to a nyc dinner.
6. Walk or take a golf cart over to the Mata Chica Resort bar. Mata Chica is about a mile away from the resort and has a really cool, funky restaurant and bar. We walked over for lunch one day and had drinks and ceviche. We really enjoyed the relaxed vibe and enjoyed hanging out by their water front bar that has pool table and good music.
7. Visit Hol Chan Marine Reserve. The snorkel tour run by the dive shop next door is great. The equipment was new and clean and the tours are small. Our guide did an excellent job identifying all of the fish for us, and let us explore a bit on our own. We saw so many amazing animals, 2 sea turtles, sharks, rays, eels, and tons of beautiful fish. They bring water and fresh fruit to enjoy at the end of the tour. Was a great way to spend a morning.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- As one of the newest luxury properties on the island of Ambergris Caye, Las Terrazas is the only member of Preferred Hotels & Resorts in Belize and part of the LVX Collection. Located just 3.5 miles north of San Pedro, Las Terrazas Resort invites you to experience exceptional, spacious townhome-style accommodations and gracious Belizean hospitality at our oceanfront retreat. Situated on one of the most beautiful and secluded private beaches, our Ambergris Caye resort is an exhilarating tropical playground where you can discover Belize; "Mother Nature's best kept secret." Experience world class attractions such as diving and snorkeling, the lavish Serenity Spa and Wellness Center, fishing, zip lining and cave tubing, Mayan Ruins, or relaxing on the beach. Take advantage of our FREE Amenities including Paddle Boards, Kayaks, Hobie Cats, an Aqua Bike, Bicycles and Yoga Mats. Golf Cart Rental is available to explore the island and town of San Pedro. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Las Terrazas Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Las Terrazas Hotel San Pedro
- Las Terrazas Resort Belize/San Pedro