“Un-BELIZE-able!!”

Ranked #11 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Lower Gwynedd, Pennsylvania
“Un-BELIZE-able!!”
Reviewed April 22, 2014

I took my two teenage sons with me to San Pedro for Spring Break. What a wonderful trip!! The Coco Beach resort was wonderful. The grounds were beautiful and relaxing -- a great place for families looking for peace and quiet. The staff was very helpful and friendly as were the tour guides and boat captains.

We reserved a 2 bedroom sea view suite and the room was amazing -- spacious, well appointed and always kept clean. The kitchen and bathrooms were modern and the balcony area offered incredible views. The pools were nice and I imagine the rooms around the pool were similar, but I'm glad we splurged on the sea view (and the extra bathroom).

A couple of notes if you plan to travel here:

1. The food -- do not waste your money on the hotel food, especially the buffets. They had a very limited selection and there was never enough for the handful of people in the restaurant. Food at the other resorts was better and you can also buy from locals on the beach. Much better deal. The food in San Pedro town was pretty good, too, but avoid the touristy spots.

If you decide to buy groceries, do NOT go to Rock's. The sales clerk makes up the prices on the fly and there is an obvious increase for "tourists". After hearing the outrageous total ($300USD for a tiny box of supplies -- Doritos, soda, water, OJ -- we walked out and left the box on the counter.

2. Tuff Enuff tours -- we arranged a private tour through them and it was very well done. The guide was professional and we got to see a lot of the Belizean countryside. Well worth it!

3. WIFI -- We did go through wifi withdrawal. The only place where it worked consistently was around the pool bar. No wifi in the rooms and we even had electrical power outages some days.

One last note, although not technically an island, Belizeans operate on island time! That means scheduled times for restaurant openings, water taxis, tour starts are really just approximates. LOL!! Just relax and enjoy the whole experience….

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank writeway00

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (407)
Coopersburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 22, 2014

I took my family here in February 2014 for vacation, but also wanted to do some fishing with my 14 year old son while there. We had an incredible time. The staff at Coco Beach is the friendliest, most accommodating staff I have encountered, including letting us add another day onto our vacation without having to change rooms.
Belize is a wonderful country with so much to do and many sites to see. All you have to do is ask, and someone at Coco Beach will help you make whatever arrangements you need. I love this place so much I will be coming back.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed April 20, 2014

My wife and I chose the Coco Beach Resort as our honeymoon hotel and couldn't have been more happy with this choice. From the moment we were greeted dockside by their staff, we felt at home and relaxed. We stayed in a standard hotel room and found it wonderfully appointed and the calm escape we were looking for. The front desk staff couldn't have been more helpful too. For everything we got, it was a great value and we would certainly return, hopefully one day with a family as the multiple pools and casitas would be a perfect fit.

Room Tip: Make sure you are on an upper floor if you are staying in a standard room -- unless climbing steps i...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ejd3448
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed April 20, 2014

-Arrival was instant and easy at San Pedro Water Taxi dock and we were picked up by Coco Beach local ferry drive. Rum punch and hot towels awaited us during a tour of the resort.
-The Cocoblanca Restaurant on the hotel grounds has quick service, however was extremely overpriced. It was clear we were paying for decor and the fish had very small portions.
-Local water taxis available at end of Coco Beach Pier via Coastal Express or Tuff e'nuff
-There is a Volleyball net at 1 foot deep pool, a swim up bar pool that is 4 feet deep and luke warm, and a hot tub that was cold. The largest pool was 8 feet deep and had a rock tower to jump off of which was awesome!
-At the front desk the water bottles are complimentary and with room service, including extra towels. The food is available while sitting at the pool and comes from the restaurant.
-Room had a clean large bed, plenty complimentary soaps, open shower, good a/c and fans, rooms open to pool, crown molding on walls, beach paintings, good cold fridge, many cable channels.
-THe Tuff Enuff Tours and Dive shop in front of sister resort is 5 min walk from room. Great stay just expensive at $288/ night in March.

Room Tip: Any room by the pool is perfect and it rarely gets loud during day or night.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Mpls, MN
Reviewed April 19, 2014

The staff at the resort is fantastic. All of them are super friendly and really care that you enjoy their resort. The grounds of the resort are beautiful and very well maintained. We had a 2 BR Sea Villa and it worked out great for 4 adults. It was well furnished with newer everything. Both rooms had king sized beds. We enjoyed using the pools and the kayaks. We did eat at the restaurant both in the bar area and the actual restaurant and both were good. The water taxis into San Pedro ($10 round trip) worked really well for us. They have a schedule that is pretty convenient on the times there and back. You don't need to rent a golf cart for the week, We rented one just for 4 hours and it was more than enough time to get to San Pedro for a little sight seeing, shopping and a quick happy hour. I think we paid $50 for that adventure and rented it right at the resort. The resort has a association with Tuff Enough tours and you can book trips at the end of the dock with them. They were a first class operation also. Loved the resort. We would go back for sure. Bring a flashlight for the walks along the beach to area restaurants. Lazy Croc is a must visit for great bbq. I cannot thank all of the staff (Coco Beach and Tuff Enough) enough for everything they did.

Room Tip: The Sea Villas all have ocean views. The other rooms/areas face a really nice pool with a slide. I...
2 Thank jsampls
cincinnati, ohio
Reviewed April 17, 2014

My husband and I booked our trip to San Pedro in March and found a decent deal on Coco Beach Resort. Since I had never been to the island, I wasn't sure what to expect but I was pleasantly surprised. The hotel was stunning, the staff was great and the overall vacation was fabulous.

Travel by air from the US was non-eventful. There is basically one flight into the island and back to the US each day by the 3 major airlines in the states. From Atlanta, the flight was about 3 hours and there was a two hour time difference.

We did splurge and booked additional air travel from the mainland to the island via Tropic Air. Travel was quick and efficient and without issue. I was happy not to have to take a boat for the longer ride from the mainland. However, I understand that the travel via boat from the mainland is also an easy trip, once you get from the airport to the docks.

We stayed for a week in April 2014, traveling from Wednesday to Wednesday. I would highly recommend mid-week travel and the prices were a little lower and the airports, check-ins, etc. were a bit faster. Still, given the upcoming holiday it was a fairly 'full' hotel, but you might not have ever realized it! The resort was fairly empty on Friday afternoon thru late Saturday afternoon as this is the time that most guests either arrive or depart.

The hotel took care of our transportation from the San Pedro airport to the hotel. We took a 2 minute taxi ride from the airport to the dock... and then a 15 minute boat ride to the hotel from there. Same for the way back upon checkout. No issues!

The hotel is well maintained and our basic hotel room was lovely. In fact, the ENTIRE hotel was lovely!! It was equipped with a mini fridge, microwave, hair dryer, lovely king bed, fabulous HUGE shower. They provided 2 nice size bottles of water daily, but the hotel water was 'drinkable' too. The hotel was clean and comfortable and well appointed. We had no issue with water pressure or bugs of any kind. We had a 2nd floor room with a balcony overlooking the pool but never found it too be too loud.. well except when the power went out for 4 hours and there was no hum of the air conditioner to cover the sounds of the kiddos in the pool.

We had no problems with our internet connection UNTIL the power went out, but in talking to the desk and explaining we needed the connection to be able to communicate with our kiddos at home, they provided us with a myFi and we were set.

The was one day with an afternoon power outage that effected the entire island and I was very surprised to find there was no back up generator for the hotel.. but there was one for the restaurant. We lost power for several hours in the evening but by bed time, it had been restored. We did have the power go out 4 other times throughout the middle of the night, but it was quickly restored (and each time it happened, we were awakened by all the off and on of the systems kicking off and on).

The food on the island is pricey and it is really not much of a better deal to get your own snacks, etc a the little grocery stores in town. Simply put, EVERYTHING is shipped in so the prices reflect that. So, plan a little more for a food and beverage budget and ENJOY the amazing fresh fish and seafood options.

The 'fancy' Italian restaurant in the resort was pricey and nothing great. I ordered gnocchi (a favorite) only to find that their supposed Italian Chef served it so overcooked it just was a mush. My hubby had a steak (which I was told had to be flown in (yep, that makes sense) and it was ok.

According to the hotel concierge, the hotel restaurant and bar are not actually run by the hotel itself. Instead, they are managed and serviced by outside companies. They will however allow you to charge food and beverages to your room without issue.

The pools and grounds were sparkling clean, the beach well maintained and the property was lovely! There really doesn't seem to be a bad room in the place.

We found our hotel was a bit out of the way, as we were a good 3.5 miles north of the bridge into downtown. The golf cart rentals via the hotel were OUTRAGEOUS but we did get around by water taxi quite well.

We found it cheapest and easiest to get a weekly pass for the Tuff Enuf Water taxi and just had to time our outings into town by their schedule. They would basically take you from the hotel dock to the heart of downtown to a dock at 'Ruby's.

We basically went into the 'downtown' area of San Pedro for most of our meals and outings. (I will do reviews of the restaurants separately). We learned that if you ask, the taxi will drop you off at the resorts and/or restaurants along their routes as long as you can time your outings to their standard schedule and they will stop at other places as long as you ask!

My husband and I are certified scuba divers, so basically, we spent our days doing that. Before we left for our trip, I scoured TripAdviser for reviews and recommendations on the local dive shops and chose BelizeProDivers in advance of our arrival. Via email, I set us up for 3 days of diving prior to our arrival. We were happily diving as early as our 2nd morning. I have also reviewed the dive shop separately, but I will say here that they were FABULOUS!!

On our arrival on Wednesday afternoon, we got checked into the hotel and found that we were going to want to get some snacks etc. and made the decision to have dinner 'downtown'. We went to the tour desk (right on the Coco Beach dock) and purchased the taxi pass and set off for the 'heart of the city'. Tickets were priced at $40 usd each for unlimited one week travel.

Once downtown, we had dinner at Elvi's Kitchen (fabulous, and again, I reviewed separately) and then found a local shop to pick up groceries for the room. We headed back to the hotel, had a nice evening beverage at the pool bar and slept soundly!

For the next five mornings, the BelizeProDiver shop picked up us in their boat right at our hotel dock (times varied a bit but mostly they arrived by 8:30am) and we set off for a 20 minute boat ride to the shop. We had only planned to dive for 3 days but had such a splendid time that we made arrangements to add 2 more days of diving to our plan. For 5 days of diving, for 2 persons, including transport to the dive shop, air, boat fees, snacks between dives, etc, we paid $600 usd!!! We couldn't be more pleased!! (remember we had all our own equipment!)

At the end of each day of diving, we would either come back to the hotel and nap.. or have the dive shop drop us off downtown so we could get a nice lunch and then head back to the hotel for some afternoon sun and drinks! Later, we would venture into town for dinner or other. Most nights, we simply dropped into bed by 9pm (it gets dark very early here compared to Indiana) and slept like babies.

Since we didn't dive on the last full day, we did our own version of the 'Walk Down the Beach Pub Crawl'. We left at 11am and walked a good 2 miles down the beach, ending at Palapa's Bar for lunch. It was a long and warm walk, so we stopped several times along the way at various resorts and bars to 'sample' their offerings. It was not an 'easy' walk that I would recommend to any one not in decent shape due simply to the distance and the heat (90 degree day, full sun).

Along the walk, we found an abandoned Mormon Retreat center (closed), A Yoga Hotel, Captain Morgan's retreat (complete with a hotel room size casino that that is a MUST MISS), Aji's Tapas bar (where we returned for dinner it was so cute) and more. We passed lovely seaside mansions and condos.

I never really like to go back to the same vacation spot more than once (simply because we have a huge world to explore!) .. but I will seriously consider a repeat of this one!

Kuddos!

Room Tip: No spa or fitness center...
8 Thank cyndy8675309
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 9, 2014

Resort was amazing. We were a little hesitant to book so "far" from San Pedro but never felt it was an issue being away from town. Tuff E Nuff is an excursion agency located on the property that also runs the water taxi service from the resort to town and back at various times throughout the day, and we found that to be sufficient to get us into town twice during our 6 day stay. Otherwise we strolled the beach and found places both north and south of Coco for food (10-20 minute walks on the beach-ideal after lounging in the sun all day!). I did think the food on the property was overpriced (spaghetti for $30?!) so we always went elsewhere (would rather spend $30 for fresh fish, authentic cuisine, etc).

A few things that may our stay especially wonderful:

-Coco Beach took care of arranging our flight from Belize City to San Pedro, then the water taxi was waiting for us. Upon arrival in San Pedro and prior to getting into the water taxi, we were shown a grocery and stocked up on breakfast basics for the week. Other reviewers complained about food prices...we bought a dozen eggs, several bags of chips, fresh tortillas, cheese, salsa, cereal and milk for $40 USD...didnt think it was bad at all. Also awesome that we didnt make a separate trip to find this-it was immediately offered up as an option and couldnt have been simpler.

-Larry the pool guy. This guy rules. He gave us a heads up of places he loved to eat in town, told us about the Chicken Drop (hilarious gambling event in town where money is bet on numbers 1-100 and a chicken, after being fed coconut milk, is shaken and whatever number it poos on, that person wins $100). He got us fresh coconuts almost daily at the pool and threw down some rap at our request. Just a cool, charming guy that really stood out.

-Zoby and Marcie were also especially hospitable, helping to arrange tours, recommending places in town, and just generally being extra friendly, remembering our names, etc.

-Tuff E Nuff excursions were great. We did the Mexico rock snorkeling, Hol Chan, and a Xunantunich tour and all were smooth, the guides were EXTREMELY informative, and just all in all memorable trips that were well worth the price tags.

-Food-belizean cuisine is to die for. Again, we read countless reviews of crazy prices, but people, get off the resorts to get more authentic and affordable food!!! We actually had a night where we ate from street vendors only, off carts in town, spent $10 USD total, and it was some of our favorites (tacos, tamales, pupusas, fresh papaya, etc). Elvis is not to be missed in town-have the grouper with black bean sauce-best bite of Belizean food hands down. Ahi, about a 20 min walk towards town from coco beach, was great with a spectacular atmosphere/setting (xmas lights strung from tree canopies on the beach!). We thought Capricorn was good, but the above were far superior.

-Casita #1-gave us privacy, was amazingly soundproof, and allowed for cooking breakfast, stashing snacks, etc. Also had filtered water from the fridge so would fill up waterbottles throughout the day.

-Weather was perfect-mid 80's, no humidity, breeze. Never had an issue with bugs (we would spray just in case at night).

My only other gripe about the resort (other than the mildly offensive price tags of Cocoblanca, the onsite restaurant) is no gym/treadmill, anything. We are a family of runners/marathoners and while we made the pot holed road work for running purposes, the heat was brutal. For all of the amenities, a small gym seems like an obvious addition to an otherwise really exceptional resort.

Thank you for a wonderful stay. We are big international travellers and never think about going back to a place twice, but found Belize and the island of San Pedro to be an exception to our otherwise fairly tight rule.

2 Thank 774emilya