“Wedding in Belize March 2013”
Review of Hotel del Rio

Hotel del Rio
Ranked #37 of 55 Hotels in San Pedro
Reviewed May 7, 2013

It was the best trip ever. My friends got married there (just beautiful) The Hotel Del Rio is wonderful and the only place to stay. VERY FRIENDLY STAFF. Myself I loved Tik and his Mom Ginger they are the cats of the place. The beach, the sea, the food, the people all the best. We stayed in the Big Blue House. The crabs are even cool. If I ever get to go again I will stay at HOTEL DEL RIO the best and only place to stay. Hi to Jim and all the Guys and Girls that do such a wonderful job running the hotel. Cindy Zamora

Room Tip: This place is right on the Beach. Who could ask for anything more.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed May 5, 2013

Javier and the staff at Hotel del Rio were very accomodating and friendly. Stayed in a regular room with air conditioning and found it to be quite comfortable, albeit no frills; exactly what I was looking for. Room was clean and linens were fresh. The common area under the palapa was the place to be in the evenings as other guests would gather to swap tales of the day and enjoy a few Belikins together. Really enjoyed the other guests. Found the hotel to walking distance to everything in town but far enough away to be peaceful at night.

If you're a budget minded traveller looking for a clean place to shower and sleep, I'd say this is the spot. There isn't a pool but the beach is right in front of the hotel. It's very convenient to everything. The street food at the numerous delis is delicious and cheap. Try Ramirez Deli on the street behind the hotel. Breakfast taquitos are 4 for $1 USD. The jerk chicken and coconut rice and beans is something else!

Try Caramba's in the evenings for the best conch ceviche in San Pedro. Excellent seafood there and Luiz will take care of you with a complimentary rum punch. Must also try the pupusa's at Waruguma; cheap and delicious! Thursday night is the chicken drop at the Pier Lounge; a Belizean spin on cow chip bingo. Good seafood there, too!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Bouyscout
Reviewed April 19, 2013

We are staying in the Casa Azul and we love it. The only bad thing is that we have to leave the place at one stage. The Casa Azul is in the back, not at the beach front but it has a big terasse 1st floor and offers the privacy that you can not have in the beach front cabana because the beach road passes by there. But some people like to stay in front and look at the people whom are passing by. The Casa Azul is also protected from the winds and we have had barbeques outside, a kitchen is available. Just a few meters away there is a supermarket, a fruit shop also selling creole food during the day (for only 4.5 USD) and several local snack places selling the typical tacitos and burritos for a small amount of money. The staff is very nice and the two cats became our friends. We love Hotel Del Rio.......

Btw. there is a massage lady two houses down the road whom came to the hotel to Massage Yoko for only 40 USD one hour. This was also arranged by the Hotel Manager.

Best place up to now on our Latin America trip.

Room Tip: As said above, we love the Casa Azul but it is only rented out on a weekly base.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Hotel del Rio was fantastic. The staff were very nice and helpful, there are two ginger cats on the property which are friendly as well. We had the Cabana Casita which was excellent, the rooms are spacious with high ceilings and included a mini fridge, coffee maker and ceiling fan. We had a little porch with two wooden chairs facing the beach. There is also an area with chairs and tables and hammocks for all of the guests to use.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I cannot begin to describe how much I loved staying at Hotel del Rio. My fiance and I stayed in cabana casita and LOVED IT! The hotel's location is close enough to everything that you don't feel isolated but far enough from the noise of the downtown that you can still have a peaceful time staying there. The staff at the hotel make you feel like you are old friends coming for a visit as soon as you step into the office. The cabanas and beautiful and clean with great fans and hot & cold water. The courtyard is great as well and features a picnic table and hammock under a giant palapa. And the view from the courtyard...breathtaking. Honestly, you are really doing yourself a HUGE disservice if you don't stay here while on the island. This will be, without a doubt, the only place we will ever stay in San Pedro!

Room Tip: Cabana Casita is a beautiful place to stay. We also saw the upper room of the two story palapa build...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I stayed at the Hotel Del Rio from 03/04 - 03/07/13 while on Ambergis Caye for a SCUBA diving vacation. I stayed in one of the regular rooms and was pleasantly surprised with the room. For $50 a night I wasn't sure what to expect. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. The room, while bare bones with no T.V. or A.C., was very clean and the shower even had good pressure. At first the no T.V. or A.C. kind of bothered me, but then I realized I wasn't there to watch T.V. and the A.C., thanks to the sea breeze, was not ever needed! This hotel literally is steps from the beach...you walk out of your room and there the beach is in all its' beauty. My only complaint would be that the walls are VERY thin and I had to put up with drunk, noisy neighbors at night. Overall I was very satisfied with this hotel.

Room Tip: Spend the extra money to get a cabana so you don't have to listen to drunk neighbors through the...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Jarrod F
Reviewed March 12, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Hotel Del Rio March 1-9, 2013. We stayed in a cabana which was awesome. The people were very friendly and helpful with all of our questions. Also, we met most of the people staying there during this time in the common area. The bakery around the corner is AWESOME! Fido's has good food, nightly specials and great music. Waragoma's has a great mexican menu, and if they're busy the mexican restaurant across the street is good as well(ate at both places and both are good). Sandbar on the beach has AWESOME pizza! Lilly's breakfast is good! We also stopped at Estelle's for breakfast which was good, but shortchange when we paid! if you like bbq, you HAVE to go to lazy croc!! The bbq is AWESOME and yes, they do have crocidles in the lagoon! We did two 1day snorkel trips with Lazzardo and Minor. Captain Louis has a 50+ft. sailboat, that takes you on 4 snorkels and he makes lunch for you on the sailboat We met them at 9am and got back to the dock at 4:30pm.

The only NEGATIVE I have to say about the whole trip was the BARKING DOGS!!! Since, Hotel Del Rio is in a residential area, there are dogs everwhere!!! I didn't sleep one night and my wife didn't sleep two nights!!! TAKE EARPLUGS!!! I even went across the dirt street and talked to the owner of some of the dogs! She said she would put then in at night, but never did!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple