“Words Can't Describe!”

Cocotal Inn & Cabanas
Reviewed July 16, 2009

I just recently returned from San Pedro for the second time. Both times I stayed at the Cocotal Inn and Cabanas and I have vowed that there is no other place in the entire country I will stay. It's so hard to say in words what the Cocotal is about, it can truely only be described as a feeling. When I first arrived, I was greeted by Robbie and of course Mara, the property watch dog. Robbie immediately welcomed me, took my luggage to my room, and brought me to the bar where Beaulah, the property manager, was waiting with her great smile and a delicious rum punch!

Beaulah is there for you anytime you need her and will help you with absolutely anything you need. She will book any trip or excursion you need and arrange all travel to anywhere you need to go. She is not just an employee who helps you because her boss told her to, she truely wants to help you and make sure you get a full experience of your Belize vacation. Whatever you do, do NOT plan any trips or excursions before you leave home. Beaulah will find you the best priced trips and take care of all of the details. She also knows all of the restaurants and bars in town and knows which night to go where to get the best experiences from each of those establishments.

Robbie and Mirna are the caretakers who live on site in the back house. You will see Robbie up at dawn raking the beautiful white sand on the property to maintain a picture perfect environment. The pool is always perfectly clean and crystal clear due to his commitment to perfection. He is there to help you out with anything you need, anything from helping you carry the kayaks to the sea to giving you any information you need about the island to eat, drink, fish, etc. His wife Mirna has made a menu of homemade meals that are beyond delicious. It's not just some hotel type food. She literally makes everything from scratch and makes it just for you. She has such a talent for cooking and presentation of the food, you just won't be able to wait for dinner time! Either Mirna or Robbie will bring your food out to you where you can eat it outside while listening to the sea, or relax inside the beautiful rooms.

Christine is the property housekeeper. I have never seen a housekeeper work so hard to make sure the rooms are perfectly clean and not a spec of dust. Christine is easy to miss because she is cleaning your room when you are out exploring the reef. Be sure to take the time to talk to her and get to know her. She is such a special person. She is so positive and friendly, the first time you talk to her you will just want to give her a hug. I had the opportunity to spend some extra time with her and it's a memory I would never give up for all the money in the world.

Tanya Graf is the owner of the property. The Cocotal is her passion and her brain never stops turning on how to make the guests stay even more memorable. She travels alot between the states and San Pedro, but I was lucky enough to have her there at the same time I was again this year. She takes the time to talk to you, teach you about the culture and the island and always takes a genuine interest in the excursions you take that day and what new experiences you have. She is always up to enjoy a Belikin Beer with you and just shoot the breeze. When I first met her, I talked to her for 5 minutes and I felt that she was family and I had know her for my whole life. She has hired a staff to work on the property that shares her passion for her vison of the Cocotal and the experiences she wants the guests to leave the island with.

The Cocotal has plenty of bikes you can use for free to tour the island or get to town for some shopping. The kayaks are also free to use. It's so much fun to kayak out to the reef and do some snorkeling. There is a buoy straight out from the Cocotal that you can tie the kayak to so you can jump in the water and enjoy the underwater world. The Cocotal also has an "Honor Bar", which I think is an ingenious idea. If you want a beer or a rum punch, you just mark it down in a little book and pay your tab when you leave.

If you are looking for a huge resort with a ton of people all around you, this is totally not the place for you. This place feels like its home and it's all yours and plenty of privacy. The price you pay for what you get is unbelievable. I have been in all of the units and can personally say that each and every one are so clean and decorated so beatifully that your only disappointment would be that at some point you have to leave and go back home.

I definitely recommend visiting their website, www.cocotalbelize.com, so you can see more pictures and get all of the information you need. If you have questions, you can email the address on the website and Tanya or Beaulah will email you back with all of your answers.

Please feel free to email me and I can help you with questions from a tourist standpoint.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo
4  Thank Codahu

Reviewed June 23, 2009

We had a wonderful time at the Cocotal Inn and Cabanas. The owners are wonderful and this place is definitely good value for money. We stayed in the ocean front casita, which was wonderful. The wireless connection does not work from the room but you are very close to the pool and bar, where the connection is fine. Everyone is very friendly and helpful. You are a bit north of town, but you can use bikes (free of charge) to go into town or you can take the water taxi ($8 one-way). Kayaks are also offered free of charge. I would definitely stay here again if I went back to Belize.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ParisCoucou
Reviewed June 20, 2009

We honeymooned in Belize for 11 days/10 nights. After a 4 days in San Ignacio, we planned to relax at the beach/San Pedro for the remainder of the trip. We scoured TripAdvisor to find the "perfect" location - affordable, relaxing comfortable and romantic. We were not disappointed with Cocotal!

Arriving in San Pedro via the ferry, the Cocotal had arranged for a taxi to drive us to the supermarket for supplies and a private water taxi to Cocotal. We were greated by a glass of rum punch (it's so good that my husband returned to town for supplies to make his own rum punch) and checked in. The Garden Cabana really felt like our home away from home. The bed was very comfortable and AC came in handy during the peak temperatures of the day.

Other highlights: Beaulah (the hotel manager) was very helpful in answering questions and suggesting activities. She helped us book the snorkeling tours. Robbie (who takes care of the property and lives on-site) came by with fresh coconuts for us to try. The bikes helped us get around the island - stopping at Ak'bol or the Palapa Bar (our favorite place) for lunch and heading into town to the supermarket and bakery. We also used the Cocotal kayak to go to the reef and snorkel on our own. Oh, and who could forget Mara...sweet dog and accompanied us on our walks.

Other Notes: Dinner prices around the immediate are was approximately $25-45/USD per person. If you plan on going into San Pedro, it costs $7 USD/person, so for a round trip, that's $14 USD in addition to your meal. That's why we went into town for groceries and cooked some dinners on their grill. This area is quieter than San Pedro, but that's what we wanted. Even though there one or two couples during our stay, we felt like we were the only ones there.

The stay at the Cocotal was fantastic - we'll never forget it!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank msbelgianian
Reviewed April 30, 2009

This place was perfect. It is close enough to ride the free bikes into town, yet far enough away to feel secluded from the crowds. We stayed in the beach cabana and loved it. We used the kitchenette almost every morning for breakfast, which saved us some cash. I got to see all the rooms and I have to say my favorite is the upper level of the main house, but it is also the most expensive. It would be great for 2 couples. The pool was lovely, very clean and refreshing. The jacuzzi is not hot- just so you know ahead of time.

The grounds are kept very clean by Francisco, who is almost always around to help with anything. We loved Francisco very much. He even went out with us on the free kayaks for snorkeling one day, of course he was spear fishing. We used the kayaks almost every day to snorkel the reef. It takes about 20 minutes to get out there but only 5 minutes to get back because of the current. You tie up to a permanent buoy by the reef. You will see a lot of small fish around the corals, but there are also some big guys in the faster current closer to the break.

Don't prepay for anything! Beaulah can set up any trip you want. We prepaid for a couple of snorkel trips before we arrived and they didn't show up on the scheduled days. They gave us our money back, thankfully. Then Beaulah to the rescue booked us on an amazing all day catamaran snorkel booze cruise. It was awesome!

The water taxi over was quite the experience! It was the Easter holiday so the taxi was packed like sardines with about 150 people and took about 1 1/2 hours to get to San Pedro. It was interesting to experienced the chaos, but won't do it again on a holiday weekend. Beaulah set up a flight for us on the way back. I highly recommend seeing the island from the air.

When you first arrive in San Pedro, you might want to buy some groceries as we did. Be very careful to watch the clerk as he rings your stuff up, especially because many items are not priced. We were over charged big time, but after thinking it over, we went back and complained. The clerk re-rang our goods and we were overcharged about $80BZ!! He gave us our money back and was very sorry but this happened to several people we talked to. This seems to be a scam targeted to tourists just arriving to San Pedro. Watch out!

We really enjoyed eating at Ak'bol (a short bike ride towards town). They have delicious Belizean breakfasts and lunches. Be sure to try the salbutes and papusas. The BBQ at the Lazy Croc BBQ was superb and if you eat there in the evening, you may see some giant crocodiles! The best place for ambiance was Mambo's. It is up north a ways but Beaulah can arrange for a complimentary pick up on the dock next door. Mambo's was beautiful and it felt like walking into a dream. I absolutely loved the atmosphere. The food was good too but it is one of the more expensive places. On the boat ride back to Cocotal, my husband and I even saw a shooting star- just perfect! We also ate at Capricorn, which is next door. They were the most expensive but I had their signature dish (the grouper) and it was excellent! One night after our booze cruise, our group was wasted and Francisco somehow got pizza delivered! We love Francisco!

One think that was great was the honor bar. You could get ice, fresh water, make your own drinks or purchase drinks whenever you wanted. It is like being at home. The best part about our trip was the people we met. We got to know all the couples staying at Cocotal and we all played, partied and ate out together. There is something special about Belize- you connect with people very easily and very intensely. If I ever make it back to Ambergris I will stay at Cocotal.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Wolfwingspirit
Reviewed April 2, 2009

Our stay was excellent, All the reviews are correct. We stayed in the garden cabana. My first memory is of the wonderful smell of wood as you enter. Follow by the distant view of the ocean. Every thing is well finished and decorated. All the amenities you could imagine. The pool and honor bar are great.

We appreciate your kind service and hospitality. Tanya,Beaulah and Fransisco are very attentive and very good people. I really felt like we were staying with some good friends.
Lets not forget about the house dog "Mara". She is a joy. We spoiled her and she followed us up and down the beach. She even showed up for dinner at Capricorn restaurant a ways up the beach.

1  Thank 1fasttruck
Reviewed April 2, 2009

My husband and i rented the ocean casita in march.It was very clean and well equiped. The breeze was awsome. Everyone was so nice and helpful tanya was very informative and fun to talk to.beaulh was alos very helpful christine did a great job of keeping the rooms clean .francisco kept the grounds and pool in tip top shape also fun to talk to cut us down a coconut to eat. and dont forget mira the protector of the grounds very cute love her. they have bikes and keyakes for you to use. It was the best. We rented a golf cart from ultimate rentals .very few let you go up north the road is rough but its an adventure.There are a few resturants in walking distance but not alot capricron good but pricey melting pot at white sands good reasonable aji also good and reasonable very nice setting. to buy grocerys and cook was very expensive we went to all the stores and it was cheaper to eat out then to cook . ps.bring your own coff ee and creamer. we are wine drinkers so we orderd a case at wine divne very good prices and selection ready for us when we arrived. We went into town five doller 2 way to eat local food it was great we ate at wargrummas she makes a papausas out front at dinner burritos are huge and good. elvies kitchen very good .Just had fun trying all differant things. The diving and snorkling was awsome we used ecological divers they are the best my husband first time diver they were very atintive to his needs and very profesinal .Did the blue hole trip with aqua dives not very professinal .will go wiyh amigo del mar next time. did the lamini trip with tanish toures daniel was the best highly recommend him great time.we had a wonderful fun relaxing time and we cant wait to go back see you all soon.

2  Thank STRAVALLE J
Reviewed March 18, 2009

We stayed in the Garden Cabana at Cocotal in March and enjoyed our trip completely. The resort is very well kept, the staff is incredibily friendly and helpful... It was our first trip to Belize and couldn't imagine anything better... Our room was well kept, clean and spacious... The kitchenette & BBQ were fantastic, as the island is pricey for eating out...With Cocotal Inn & Cabanas you basically have your own private oasis, with only the 3 rental units the resort for the most part is to yourself... There is a common bar/pool area which is really good for socializing with other guest and staff members... Fransisco the groundskeeper is amazing! We had some great conversations with him, and from him chopping down coconuts for us, giving us the tour of the gardens, offereing to get us the catch of the day from local fisherman, he helped make our trip most enjoyable...All of our excursions and transportation to and from the hotel was arranged by Beaulah and everything worked out great! She recommended the Bacalar Chico tour, and it was well worth it!! Thanx Again Beaulah!!If we were to head to Belize again (which I'm sure we will), we would not hesitate to stay with Tanya at Cocotal Inn!!!Thanx again for making our trip amazing, Fransisco, Beaulah & Tanya!!

2  Thank SaskPrairieLily