Let me start this by saying that I did a TON of research before booking a hotel for our anniversary trip to San Pedro. We looked at the top resorts in the area but my husband wanted to stay closer to town (and looking back now that was a good idea). Cocotal’s staff was amazing, they helped us book trips through requested vendors, the rooms were spotless and the beach was beautiful. We spent 2 nights in the beachfront room and 5 nights in Cabana #4 which looked out at the ocean.
Ernesto, Sam and the rest of the staff were extremely helpful on a daily basis. My husband planned several “honeymoon type” surprises during the trip and the staff was eager to accommodate those requests. These little surprises included decorating the room with flowers, having the table set for dinner, champagne delivered to the room and several other small surprise. Cocotal executed them seamlessly and was able to keep me out of the loop even though I was the one formally planning the trip itself. Even better – the Inn didn’t charge extraneous fees for the helping execute these requests; you won’t find those enormous 15%+ service fees here!
All the staff new us by name and Mara (the pup who lives on the grounds) was an excellent companion. She somehow knows who is and is not supposed to be on the grounds. She’s extremely well behaved and will not follow you into your rooms nor get on the pool deck. A few nights she walked with us down the beach for dinner and slept by our feet during the meal.
Cocotal does offer FREE snorkel gear, bikes, kayaks & wifi. We brought our own snorkel gear and was surprised with how many fish live in and around the palapa ( dock). It’s definitely worth a look if you have some spare time. As for the bikes, although nice – it is a LONG trek to town. Although only 2 miles, when you consider you are riding on sand… the way there isn’t bad – but the way back is tiresome. We ended up just renting a golf cart as we needed it from Cocotal. I would HIGHLY suggest you consider this. My husband and I are in our mid 20s and we got tired.
While staying at Cocotal we found many yummy places to eat in the area. I would recommend Aji, Ak’bol and Capricon. Also, while in town check out Estel’s Dinner by the Sea (bfast/lunch), Fiddo’s Bar & The Blue Water Grill.
While staying at the Inn we used two tourism companies: SEArious Adventures & Ecologic Dives. SEArious is WELL priced and the guides are EXCELLENT. Eco was pretty good as well. All picked us up at the dock for our scheduled trips. Also, make sure to leave some time free for a sunset on the Inn’s lagoon pier. It’s beautiful.
A few other notes:
1) OVER ALL: This is a small place with a TON of charm. Online they say they are in an “up and coming” area but I think it has arrived. We took a golf cart up to Matachica and was very disappointed. The water was nice but for the price, we had BETTER service at Cocotal. Typically, I set high standards for our hotels when we travel and this place EXCEEDED them all! If we ever return THIS IS WHERE WE’LL STAY – no question.
2) THE ROOMS: They were killer. The ceilings are beautiful & the beach suite is exactly what you’re hoping it will be. Air condition is EXCELLENT – we used it every day and it def. keeps the rooms cool; no question. Also, you’ll notice each room has a foot bathe at the door, this is to remove sand from your feet. It great and keeps the room nice and clean. They change the water every morning. Also each room has a safe (similar to those in door rooms or cruise ships, but there is no fee to use). Also please note Ambergris Caye is NOTHING like Belize City. We felt safe and relaxed the whole time. Only used the safe to help keep things organized during the trip.
3) THE STAFF: The staff is so amazing that they even offered to help us ship a giant mask my husband bought, home. We ended up leaving it for the Inn to use in the main office. It is hand carved and was bought in town from a local craftsman. Hopefully you can enjoy it as much as we did. Also, Sam was great – ask him about the daily food carts that come around. He even offered to take us around the island on his day off, but we ended up running out of time to take him up on the offer. Long story short – they take care of you. They even helped us mail post cards home on our last day of the trip. The Inn treats you like family and they know you by name. BY FAR THE BEST STAFF on the island!
4) THE BAR: The rum punch is AMAZING. We actually ended up ordering our own pitcher of it for the room which meant we didn’t need to use the honor bar – but it was a nice set up and they always had ice, beer, rum punch and soda stocked.
5) FOOD: Most food is only a short walk up/down the beach. At first when booking this, I was nervous about the Inn not having a restaurant. That ended up not being an issue at all as the whole beach has restaurants in both directions. Also, White Sands (the hotel next door) has a small kitchen and good food if you don’t want to take a stroll at the beginning/end of the day.
6) WATER TAXIS/ISLAND TRAVEL: We tried the water taxi system but it doesn’t run as often as we would have liked. I would suggest renting a golf cart when you want to go into town. It’s the best way to get around quickly and to not be tied to the boat schedules. Private water taxis are available in town and were helpful a few times when we didn’t want to wait for a boat. The free bikes are fun – but be ready for a sore bottom if you’re planning to go to town.
Overall, we really loved staying here. I’ve tried to include several photos so you can really get an idea for the place. BOOK IT – you won’t be disappointed!!!
**MORE PHOTOS OF THE HOTEL & SAN PEDRO AT https://www.facebook.com/Mrs.Plus.Photography
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Cocotal Inn and Cabanas is a beachfront vacation property located 2- 1/2 miles north of San Pedro. There are seven units available for nightly rental. Intimate and low key, Cocotal is still only a bike ride from town in a great up and coming area. Our units are well appointed with fully equipped kitchens, air conditioning, cable TV, wifi and maid service. There is an in-ground pool, honor bar, BBQ, and free bicycles and kayaks for guest use - a beautiful property and a great value! This description is based on information provided by the specialty lodging. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your Cocotal Inn & Cabanas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cocotal Inn And Cabanas
- Cocotal Inn & Cabanas Hotel San Pedro
- Cocotal Inn & Cabanas Belize/San Pedro