“Belize Spring Break”

Cocotal Inn & Cabanas
Reviewed May 16, 2011

My husband and I stayed for a week at Cocotal for our 2011 spring break. We had a marvelous time. The accommodations are wonderful, and the owners/employees are helpful, warm, and basically THE best. Tracie

1  Thank tilted

Reviewed May 12, 2011

This was by far the most amazing vacation I have ever had. My husband and I vacation twice a year and we try something new every time. Always different places in the Caribbean and I swear I will never venture to another spot ever again.

Ambergris Caye is wonderful and has so much to offer activity wise but the stay at Cocotal made the vacation what it was, perfect. This will always be our vacation spot 2 times a year, our home away from home, always.

The cabanas are roomy, comfortable and in pristine shape. The grounds are kept to perfection and its like being on your own private paradise island. You can eat at fabulous restaurants within walking distance or cook your own meal. Getting into town is a breeze since Cocotal offers bikes and golf carts. Activities are endless. My husband an I are avid about snorkeling and we had so many options. Cocotal booked us a fabulous snorkel excursion and we kayaked several times to the reef just 15 minutes from our room. Even the snorkeling under Cocotals pier was amazing.

We also like to fish. Tonya (the owner) and Christina paid special attention to our needs. Not just booking any trip but they researched and contacted several captains before picking the right person, day and time for a great fishing experience on the flats.

The best part of our stay was the staff at Cocotal. They made us feel like family and I left crying as though I was leaving my own. My only regret was not booking the stay longer. 9 days wasn't enough and I am booking my next visit for at least 2 weeks.

My heartfelt thanks to Tonya, Raul, Alma, Christine, Cash, Calvin and last my not least, Mara for the time of my life. I miss all of you so much and I am counting the days until I see you again!!!

Reviewed May 12, 2011

I researched a number of different options in San Pedro, and this by far appeared to be the best value which it turned out to be. Our apartment was very spacious, and actually more space than we needed. Having a kitchen was definitely handy, and the handmade soap provided in the bathrooms was a nice touch. Everyone we encountered was very warm and hospitable, and the inn staff was able to organize tours for us which was very convenient. We also enjoyed using the complimentary bikes provided by the inn to ride along the beach, and to go into town.

Reviewed May 4, 2011

We loved our stay at Cocotal. We rented the 2-bedroom condo upstairs in the main house and it was stunning. The rooms were spacious and open, with a porch and deck allowing fabulous sea breezes and views. You can borrow a kayak (for free) paddle out and have amazing snorkeling all to yourself right out front of the Inn. My ONLY minor complaint was that it's easy to get a bit stranded here if you don't plan ahead. One night we planned to walk to a restaurant only to find out they were closed for a private party. We wished we had a way to get around, but the bikes were locked up, there is no phone in the room to call the water taxi and there was no golf cart available (basically ever). So it's a bit hard to be that spontaneous and it really would have been better had we made a reservation that evening. Otherwise, this place is wonderful and we really wished we could have stayed a lot longer.

Room Tip: For 4 people, get the 2-bedroom suite... wonderfu!
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed April 28, 2011

My husband & I spent one week at the Cocotal Inn, staying in the red garden cabana (#5). What a beautiful cabana, and so reasonably priced ($125/night) compared to many of the other places on the island. Tanya, you did such a wonderful job of designing your cabanas! Tanya (the owner), along with Beaulah, Abner & Raoul, looked after us during our stay. Beaulah greeted us upon arrival with a rum punch & was usually the one working in the office from 8 to 4. If she wasn't there, Abner was, and they were both very friendly and helpful. Raoul & his wife stay on the property so they were always around if we needed anything. Raoul is a very nice man who didn't seem to mind at all when we had to interrupt his evening at home to get us more propane or help us get into our safe when it wouldn't open.
The resort itself has a really nice pool and beachfront area, but it is a fair distance from town. You could easily bike to town along the beach in about a 1/2 hour, but you do have to eventually bike up to the road & over the bridge (costs $1 Belize each way so take cash). The week we were there it was fairly hot, so I found it was too far for me to bike to town & back without being able to stay along the ocean where it is cooler. To walk to town on the beach path it would take you about 1 hour, and although I could manage that, once you got into town it would have been a lot of walking to get everywhere we wanted to go. The town itself was bigger and more spread out than I thought it would be. It would have been nice to be situated a little closer to San Pedro, but I also wouldn't have wanted to give up the peace & quiet of our location. If the heat doesn't bother you, the distance from town shouldn't be an issue, especially when they provide you with bikes to use! You could also take water taxi's from the dock, but we met one couple who ended up waiting a fairly long time for pick-up when they were heading into town for supper. Renting a golf cart for the week is fairly costly, so we just booked the golf cart at the Cocotal for 8 hours ($58.50 U.S.), and spent a full day touring around town (costs $5 Belize to cross bridge in a cart).
When in town be sure to stop at "El Fogon" for lunch. It is run by a local family and the conch fritters, fish balls & homemade honey mustard sauce were excellent (check out the bathroom). We also stopped for a drink at the "Sunset Grill" & fed the tarpon. These BIG fish jump right out of the water & take a sardine from between your fingers! We had chicken taco's for breakfast at "Neri's Tacos" (another locally run establishment). They were really good & cheap! The smoothies & frozen coffee at "Latitudes Cafe" and the frozen custard at DandE's (try soursop) were very good as well. We really enjoyed our day touring around, trying some different food & drink, and taking pictures. San Pedro is quite a unique little town.
Even though our resort was a fair distance from town, we had lots of good places to go for meals & happy hour along our stretch of beach:
- "White Sands": (right next door) Loved their Belizean chicken wings!
- "Capricorn": (very short walk north) We had the catch of the day & excellent crab
cakes. It was a bit pricier but they gave you generous portions.
-"Aji Tapa Bar": (short walk south) Go during happy hour between 1 & 5. Appetizer
specials & wine are $5 U.S. and you get a free rum punch.
-"Rendezvous Restaurant": We biked there for lunch. Had excellent shrimp toast and
Thai salad with calamari.
-"Rojo Lounge": Fairly long bike ride north along beach, but so worth it for a frozen
mojitos ($10 U.S., but like I said, SO worth it!)
- "Ak-Bol": Bit longer walk south (or short bike ride). Only open for breakfast & lunch.
Very good prices. Try a rum smoothie and their fabulous shrimp salbutes!
-"Palapa Bar": (just past Ak'Bol) Great place to stop for a drink right out on the end of a
dock. You can float in tubes & they will bucket beer down to you.
-"Mambo's": (Free boat ride to & from restaurant). Most expensive place we ate, but so
worth it. Seafood platter, spring roll appetizer & salad were excellent.
(**Note** - Pack a small flashlight for walking along beach path after dark when going our for supper.)
We only did one excursion during our stay to Hol Chan & Shark Ray Alley. Just a short boat ride away and we couldn't believe the wide variety & vast number of fish we saw in just 2 hours of snorkeling. Take a water camera! The sting rays & nurse sharks were amazing! (cost us $40 U.S. each). Cocotal does have kayaks you can take out to the reef to snorkel on your own as well.
All & all we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Cocotal Inn and were so glad we chose to stay here. We do, however, highly recommend spending some of your vacation time inland as well, in order to truly experience & see the Belizean countryside. We spent our first week in Belize at the "MOPAN RIVER RESORT" in the jungle (right across the river from the town of Benque Viejo). Excursions inland from the island are extremely expensive. The Mopan is an all-inclusive resort that includes a daily excursion in their package and is a fantastic place to stay in order to see the highlights of Belize. They look after getting you everywhere, feed you fabulous meals, have the best guides, and the resort itself is beautiful. Staying at the Mopan for one week & the Cocotal for our second week was the perfect combination. It was like experiencing 2 holidays in one! Try & do both if at all possible!

Room Tip: Take baby oil or Skin So Soft for sand flies.
Reviewed April 11, 2011

Cocotal is extremely well put together. It is not in the center of the action of San Pedro town. This was good for us, but might not be for everybody. After looking around, I can honestly say that it is the only place I saw on Ambergris Caye that I would have been comfortable staying in. Almost all other places are condo like large installations--one size fits all. Could be anywhere in the Caribbean.

Reviewed April 11, 2011

Cocotal is the perfect place to stay while in Belize if you are not the all inclusive resort type of traveler. The owners and staff are truly intent on making sure you are taken care of and enjoying your time with them. You can walk up and down the beach to find restaurants or cook in your cabana. A quick trip to the grocery on our way to the property helped fill in those lazy days when we didn't want to find a place to eat or take a water taxi into town. Make sure you bring plenty of sunscreen as the sun is very intense (even for me who is darker complected than my husband). Also, a small flashlight is helpful for walking to/from dinner in the evening on the beach. Make sure to paddle out in their free kayaks to snorkel on the reef. Beautiful! San Pedro is very fun, but did not have the large shopping areas as some other tourist places do. Small vendors are the norm, but this added to the charm for us. Go to Ak Bol for breakfast, Palapa Bar for lunch and Aji for dinner. Also, check out the Lazy Croc BBQ just off the beach, follow the sings. Great staff and even better food. We took an all day trip to the mainland to see the Mayan ruins, cave tubing and zip line. It's a long day and a bit pricey ($250 USD per person) but well worth the experience. We will miss Maya, the property dog and all the great people at Cocotal. Tanya, the owner, was great to talk to and full of helpful ideas. Beulah and Raul are great and we certainly feel as if we've left friends behind! Don't forget to chat with others staying at Cocotal. They often have tips and suggestions for food/activities. The best thing about Cocotal is, you can do everything or you can do nothing!