All reviews tackle box san pedro hol chan and shark ray alley fish mexico rocks dive master dive shop budget room barrier reef baby oil boat traffic nurse sharks aquarium restaurant remote location minute boat ride sea grass great snorkeling
Reviewed July 21, 2006

My husband and I went to Ambergris Caye for our honeymoon. We spent the first three nights at Tranquility Bay and the last 3 nights at Corona del Mar.

Anna from Tranquility Bay was waiting at the airstrip to take us on the 30 minute boat ride to the resort. Before leaving the dock, she asked if we wanted to go to the grocery store for snacks. She said that the resort has a restaurant and bar for meals but that we might want snacks. After stopping at the store, we went back to the boat dock and waited for at least an hour for the boat to show up. We didn’t know what was going on, but Anna finally told us that the boat driver was getting gas and he was stopped by someone who needed to check the boat registration. While we were waiting at the boat dock, Anna talked to the other locals at the dock while we stood near a building not sure what to do. The dock area was smelly, dirty and there was nowhere to sit.

At the resort, we were given a glass of rum punch (very good!) while we checked in. After checking in, we went back to the bar for another drink and the bartender/cook told us about meals: He cooks breakfast, lunch and dinner (only at certain times of the day) and makes one entrée for each meal based on what is on hand. He said we needed to let him know ahead of time if we were going to eat there. When we showed up for dinner, we were served fish with the skin and head still on, rice and a salad. I don’t know what kind of fish it was, but it was very fishy and otherwise bland. We both ate only a little of dinner. We asked what he was making the next day and he said eggs for breakfast and was very vague about lunch and dinner but mentioned lobster. We went back to our room, had peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and tried to figure out what to do about meals. I am vegetarian and neither of us likes fish very much, especially the fish we had here.

The next day, we asked Anna about going into town to get some groceries. She said they could possibly take us that day because they might be going into town and that she would let us know. A few hours later, she came and told us they were leaving in 30 minutes if we wanted to go. When we got to San Pedro, we were told that we had about 20 minutes to do what we needed to do. We came back and Pany, who introduced himself as the resort manager, said he needed to pick up some other guests at the airport and that it would take about 5 minutes. About 30 minutes later, he finally showed up with the guys from the previous review.

The resort is located 14 miles north of San Pedro and is only accessible by a 30 minute boat ride. Anna told us we could get a ride into town if and when the resort went to pick up or drop off other guests. It really is secluded and there is nothing within walking distance, so you can either sit around the resort or pay to rent a kayaking, snorkeling gear or one of the sail boats they have.

On the second day, we asked Anna about going to Lamanai or on an organized snorkel trip (we had never been snorkeling before and didn’t want to try it on our own for the first time). She told us we could use their gear and either swim or kayak out to snorkel. She said she would see about setting up the Lamanai trip and would let us know. Later in the day, she told us the trip might not happen and that she would let us know around 7:30. 7:30 came and went and we didn’t hear from her and couldn’t find her. We assumed the trip was cancelled and she told us the following day that it was.

When we talked to Anna about checking out and getting a ride to San Pedro, we told her we wanted to leave the resort at 10:00 so we could go on a snorkeling trip. She said there were other guests leaving at 1:00, that she would need to check with Pany to see if we could leave at 10:00 and that she would let us know. Again, we didn’t hear from her and couldn’t find her. It wasn’t until the following day at about 8:30 (check-out day) that she told us we could leave at 10:00.

We were in a 1 bedroom cabin and it was spacious and nice. It had a bedroom, bathroom, loft with a bed, living room and a small kitchen (sink, microwave, stove and a few pots and pans). The cabin doors opened to a nice deck and view of the ocean. The cabins are about 50 feet from the water. The bedroom was air conditioned and had a very soft comfortable bed. The living room/kitchen had huge windows with shutters that open and a ceiling fan. Along with the breeze from the ocean, the room stayed pretty cool. The resort grounds were nice. The seaweed was removed from the beach every morning. There were hammocks and beach chairs on the beach as well as chairs on the individual cabin decks. You can swim off the dock by the restaurant/bar.

Overall, the resort is beautiful and very tropical, but the service could be improved. I would recommend it for someone who wants to sit around all day and either wants to cook or doesn’t mind having no choice over meals.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
8  Thank jennyk213
Reviewed April 17, 2006

What an incredible place to stay and what incredible people to be with! My friend and I stayed for 2 nights at the resort and that wasn't long enough! We were treated very well and if I ever return to Belize, this is the first place I will stay. You can just hang out at the beach, or go kayaking or snorkeling right from the dock. It is quiet and beautiful.

The cabanas are wonderful, we stayed in the 2 bedroom, 2 bath cabana. The beds were great, very comfortable. This is the place you stay when you want to relax and enjoy your surroundings! The food was great too.

If I had my trip to plan over again, I would have stayed at Tranquility Bay the entire time I was in Ambergris Caye. Top notch!

4  Thank FarAway32004
Reviewed April 15, 2006

Anyone looking for an authentic Belizean beach vacation should look no further! After 24 hours I left my watch,wallet and blackberry in the cabana and enjoyed kayaking,snorkeling and fishing. In between I walked, read, and relaxed while forgetting what day it was. The isolated location was a huge plus instead of a minus. The chef was amazing. I never got tired of the food! The bar/restaurant setting was beautiful,warm and comfortable.The cabanas are first rate. The beds are comfortable and quiet.

• Stayed: April 2006
4  Thank CAbeachbum
Reviewed March 6, 2006

I really had a wonderful time. Pany Arceo is the best all around guy in all of Belize. He took us fishing, and snorkeling, all with great humor and charm. The cabanas were exactly as they were on the website, clean, elegant. 1000 Count Bedsheets!

• Stayed: March 2006
3  Thank matzomoto
Reviewed February 15, 2006

I just came back from Ambergris Caye. The new Tranquility Bay Resort is just opening. There are 11 beachfront cabanas on the nicest beach I have seen on Ambergris Caye (I have been visiting for over 25 years). It is located 12 miles north of town so Tranquility is really the theme there.

It is actually located in the new National Marine Park by Basil Jones so great fishing, snorkeling and diving are right at your doorstep. The cabanas are really beautiful and very cozy. The restaurant and bar are over the ocean and are a great place to watch the sunsets and enjoy a nice glass of wine. Super fresh seafood is great too.

Their manager, Pany, was very helpful and took great care of us. I can't wait to go back

• Stayed: January 2006