All reviews tackle box san pedro hol chan and shark ray alley fish mexico rocks dive master dive shop budget room barrier reef baby oil boat traffic nurse sharks aquarium restaurant remote location minute boat ride sea grass great snorkeling
Reviewed November 15, 2009

We could not have had a better experience at Tranquility Bay. The staff was so incredibly friendly, our cabana was clean and well kept the entire time. I would think of something we needed and they were at our front door with it before we could ask. Looking out the front door of our cabana was like looking at paradise, white sandy beach, palm trees, blue skies and blue ocean. This is the perfect getaway retreat for someone who wants a break from reality. We were there on our honeymoon but can't wait to take friends and family back. Everyday the choices were endless: walk on the beach, swim out to the second largest coral reef (300 yds from your front door), collect shells, read, nap, sunbathe, drink belikins, eat great food or you could go on one of the many day trip snorkeling, scuba, sightseeing adventures. Our favorite part of the trip was the romantic dinner that was staged for us by the wonderful people at Tranquility Bay on the beach. We enjoyed every minute of our vacation and can't wait to visit them again.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 20, 2009

That's how you'll feel!!!

Its peaceful, its quiet and its beautiful!!!
My husband & I enjoyed our 4 days at Tranquility Bay SO MUCH!!
The staff is amazing but its all about LOCATION!!!

The snorkeling was amazing! They have free kayaks available to us, we saw a little bit of everything. Most days we hung with Captain Zib he knows the island like the back of his hand. We saw a large manatee, eagle rays, sting rays, sand sharks, turtles, moray eels, shirmp, SO MANY COLORFUL FISH and lots of live Coral. We loved it.

Food & drinks are pricey so be sure to stock up before handing to the island.
But if you don't... fear not....the Bartender & Wait staff are so entertaining....ENJOY!!!

Don't forget the bug spray along with the sunscreen, hat, underwater camera, a good book and more sunscreen : )

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ShellOnWheelsnet
Reviewed September 25, 2009

My husband Alan and I spent the first three nights of our honeymoon at Tranquility Bay. Alan had done all the research and he picked the PERFECT place to begin; there could have been no better place to truly relax, enjoying the beautiful beach with its serenity and quiet.

Carlos and Isabelle run the brightly colored, well staffed establishment on the north end of the Island. Carlos picked us up at the pier in San Pedro and we had our own little private romantic ride to Tranquility Bay, leaving bustling San Pedro behind us. We were greeted at Tranquility Bay's brightly lit peer by Carlos's beautiful wife Isabelle who guided us straight to the bar and handed us one of the bartender Hill's "specialty drinks," the Island Stumbler. We were instantly in relax mode. Our bags were taken for us; we just had a cocktail as Isabelle pointed out all the beautiful fish you could see over the rail of the "tackle box" restaurant and bar. Perfect.

The bartender, Hill, is super friendly and will make anything you want to order from behind the bar - and sometimes suprise you with his nightly "special." We spent our evenings at the tackle box with Hill's creations, often playing chess with Carlos and chatting with Isabelle and HIll. Excellent people.

The cabanas are beautiful, clean, and equipped with a kitchenette. I'd recommend stopping in town to get some snack food (and SUNSCREEN!!!) before you head out there - plenty of room in the fridge. The bedroom is nicely air conditioned and the cabana was cleaned daily. There was a safe in our room, and we felt very secure in the resort.

Isabelle and Carlos are welcoming, attentive, and warm - you won't find better hosts. (I had forgotten I needed to send a fax back to the states on the first day there, and Carlos took care of it for me free of charge.) Thanks, guys, for starting us off right!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 15, 2009

My family of 6, 4 kids, ages 6,10, 12, 14 absolutely loved TBR! We were there for 5 nights and loved every minute of it. We totally enjoyed kayakeing out to the reef several times each day, snorkeling all around the reef and around the cut(channel). I was lucky enough to spot the local Manatee,and it's baby and swim alongside them several times which was truelly amazing! It is so nice not to have to rent kayaks and just hop on anytime you feel like it and cruise up and down the reef, which is only several hundred yards out from the beach. Oh, and the water is amazingly clear with abundant variety of fish and coral.

My 10 year old son and I also loved fishing every day from TBR's dock. It's so easy to catch fish, kids really enjoy it. And it's just catch & release. I was lucky enough to catch one of the local Tarpon that come by the dock every evening which was a total thrill. And, I caught a giant Cabrerra snapper, what a fight that was, over 30 minutes!

The beach is so pretty and the water is truelly the most beautiful color of turquoise and warm as bath water.

The Cabana was just perfect for our family of 6 and you can't beat the view from the double entry doors to the ocean.

TBR is a fantastic place to chill out, enjoy the beauty and peace of an ideal Carribean location without breaking the bank.

They also include RT transfers which was a huge plus for our family of 6. Most of the other resorts north of San Pedro charge outrageous fees, like $25/pp for this service.

Lastly, the food was very good and breakfast was included in the price which I found most of the other resorts didn't offer as well.

I have traveled all over the World, including Bali, Thailand, Japan, Costa Rica, Panaama, Hawaii, etc, and this was one of our funniest adventures yet!

Wiseman Family

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed September 8, 2009

We got married at Tranquility Bay. This was the perfect location for a small destination wedding. There were 23 people to our party and the resort and its staff were extremely accommodating. Carlos and Isobel did most of the wedding arrangements for us from food, to ceremony, decorations, and activities. Our guests all enjoyed the resort, amazing for such a varied group. We snorkeled, kayaked, laze around on the beach, strolled and collected shells, hung out at the Tackle Box- the restaurant bar. It was so fun, half of our party came away with some sort of injury as a memento. So stock up on some hydrogen peroxide and bandages if you plan on snorkeling just in case you brush against the corals. Which by the way, you don't have to go very far, just about 100 yards from your front porch to see beautiful marine life in pristine turquoise water.
We would recommend you stop in the town at the get-go and pick up cases or gallons of bottled water before you head out to the remote resort (~40 minutes by boat.) Though tap water is filtered and processed like in America, your system may not be used to the local water just yet. Most of our party didn't get sick but a couple did. Also lots of sunscreen. Don't pack too much as all you would need is your beach wear and a couple of coverups at best. The atmosphere is extremely laid back and you would not need to dress up for pretty much anything. Even being a wedding couple, we ended up only using a third of our clothes.
Like others that have mentioned this, there is only one place to eat and that is the Tackle Box. The food is amazing. I love the ceviche and the refried beans. This is coming from a person that hate beans and would pick out all the beans in her chilli! I requested for dinner on my last night and the kitchen staff accommodated me! So if you don't want to eat at one place morning, noon, and night for several days straight, grab stuff from San Pedro town. Also, unless you are going with the staff when they are already picking up or dropping off someone/something in town, taxi-service is not free and can be expensive.
Overall, we had an excellent trip and would recommend this place to anyone. Just one last advice that if you are into partying and did not bring people to party with- this place is not for you. For the rest- Paradise at your service.

PS- Ask Raul for a "Coco Loco" and pay him with a Belikin. You will have a friend for life!

Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple