“Relaxing, beautiful, amazing - an almost perfect wedding stay”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ambergris Caye
Tranquility Bay Resort
Ranked #24 of 55 Hotels in Ambergris Caye
Reviewed April 20, 2009

We decided to do a destination wedding, just the two of us, and Belize was our chosen destination. After doing some research on Trip Advisor, we settled on Tranquility Bay. The trip/wedding planning process was seamless, and all of our questions were promptly answered. Even though our wedding was quite simple, we used Keli with I Do Belize weddings to handle the arrangements for us. She was wonderful, and I would highly recommend using her, no matter the size of your wedding.

We were promptly met at the San Pedro Airstrip and helped over to the dock where the boat to Tranquility Bay was waiting for us. The ride to the hotel takes about 25 minutes, and we were initially concerned that we would feel "stuck" at the resort since it is such an expensive water taxi ride to get back into San Pedro. Turns out that we only felt the need to go into San Pedro a couple of times, and Tranquility Bay's regularly scheduled boat rides into town provided the perfect transportation. We went back into town on our first full day at Tranquility Bay and bought some beer, wine and snacks. I would highly recommend this so you don't have to always pay the prices at the Tackle Box Restaurant on property. The fridge in the room is big enough to hold quite a bit.

We were greeted at Tranquility Bay with a wonderful welcome cocktail and pretty much settled in right away to the relaxing lifestyle. We were booked into the Prime Minister's Suite, Cabana 10. The cabana was amazing - just what we were looking for. We wanted to have our own individual unit that faced right out onto the beach. In walking by a lot of the other properties we researched online, this seemed to be the only that truly fit the bill.

Because we were booked on a wedding/honeymoon package, we didn't really research the other cabanas available. If I were to go back again, I don't think I would book the Prime Minister's Suite - it was very similar to the other 2 bedroom cabanas, but the main difference was the upstairs patio. We didn't really use this, and with all of the bugs, it was difficult to sit out there. I would save your money for something else. The room was extremely clean, well-appointed and spacious. We felt right at home.

We absolutely loved this property and the Tackle Box restaurant - we felt like it became our home away from home. The dinner prices are a little high, especially since you pretty much have to eat there every night, but we did find the food to be quite good, especially the nightly special. We loved getting to know the other guests in the hotel, which is easy to do since it's such a small, intimate place. We found ourselves playing Cribbage at night or beach volleyball during the day with our fellow guests.

I can't say enough about the staff at Tranquility Bay - there are no words to describe how helpful and wonderful they were. Veronica, the head of housekeeping, helped decorate our balcony on our wedding night, which was such a wonderful touch. Everything was done with a smile and you could tell that the staff truly enjoyed being there.

Now, is when I have the huge BUT to all of the things I just wrote. You will notice that I raved about the staff, yet gave this property a 3 for service. This is because we discovered that an employee of the hotel stole about $300 out of our suitcase, and stole even more from our neighbors in Cabana 9. When we couldn't find the money, we refused to believe that it could have been stolen. We loved the staff so much that we convinced ourselves that we had just misplaced the money. When we learned of a similar situation in Cabana 9, we realized that there was a thief on property. I have suggested to their management that they need to install safes in the cabanas. Tranquility Bay is such a peaceful place and it lulls you into this sense of security, and we unfortunately let our guard down, which we should not have done. It was tremendously disappointing that our trust and privacy were violated and it left a bad taste in our mouths. Fortunately, we had such a memorable wedding/honeymoon that we didn't let this ruin our trip. We would definitely go back to Tranquility Bay, but we would be much more careful with our valuables.

Overall, we could not have asked for a better wedding/honeymoon and despite the major snag, Tranquility Bay was almost perfect!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
TBR-Manager, Manager at Tranquility Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2009

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay, yet very sorry about the problems that occurred.. I would just like to add that as we did not have safes in the rooms during your stay you were reimbursed by the resort. We are presently looking into the staffing issues and will be putting safes in all of the rooms. Once again... sorry for the troubles. We wish you the best in your new life together!

Carlos and Isabelle
Management Team

There are newer reviews for Tranquility Bay Resort

Reviewed March 15, 2009

I just returned from 5 nights at Tranquility Bay and I can't wait to go back! The cabanas are roomy and comfortable. The beach is gorgeous and the barrier reef a few yards off shore makes for great snorkeling and kayaking. The friendly staff will help arrange day trips, such as snorkeling, diving, touring Mayan ruins, and visiting San Pedro or Caye Caulker. I was happy to lounge around peacefully, read, swim, run on the beach and generally relax.

The only thing I would do differently next time is to bring more snacks. The resort is somewhat remote with delicious food available in the restaurant during meal hours.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank travellinthru
Reviewed December 2, 2008

Quite simply incredible.

My wife and I stayed at Tranquility Bay for 13 nights in August 2008 for our honeymoon. We have both traveled the Caribbean extensively and have stayed at several luxury resorts and believe me, this place is paradise.

From the moment we arrived on the island, our experience greatly exceeded our expectations. Bill greeted us as we walked off the plane and escorted us to the resort by boat. While riding to the resort, Anthony stopped the boat so we could look closer at the 3 dolphins frolicking in the calmer waters inside the reef that surrounds the island. As we arrived Serghio presented us with cool wash cloths to freshen with and offered us a Belikin beer, which we thoroughly enjoyed, after our 12 hour journey from Minneapolis.

We stayed in a beachfront house just a few yards from the ocean. Wow, it is the most beautiful view to behold. So peaceful and relaxing. The rooms are furnished with local decor and are situated so that you can enjoy the incredible beachfront view. The reef is approximately 500 yards off the beach and the waves breaking on the reef provide a very relaxing and soothing sound. There are 10 beachfront houses and I would recommend any of them, although we are partial to the one we stayed in #10, as it has a spacious balcony on the 2nd floor.
The resort property was immaculately maintained on a daily, if not hourly basis. My wife and I had the opportunity to view most of the properties on Ambergris Caye from the water, and I can say that the Tranquility Bay beach is one of the best in terms of view and swimming and snorkeling capability. In addition, Tranquility Bay provides you with kayaks and snorkeling equipment so that you can paddle out to the reef, tie up and snorkel to your hearts content.

I could not say enough wonderful things about the staff and service. Serghio is a fabulous and friendly bartender. The restaurant staff and chefs were fantastic! They always greet you with a smile and really want you to enjoy the experience. We spent evenings watching the moon rise over the water from our table and walked 5 ft out to the deck to watch the rays and fish swim by in the 10 feet of water over the reef. The Tranquility Bay manager Ralf is fantastic. He was always around, always approachable and happy to converse. He even gave us a beautiful wedding floral arrangement and a split of Champaign. Believe me, it was hard to leave and many of the staff members gave us hugs prior to our departure.

The resort took care of all of our excursions. You tell them what and when you want to do something and they make the arrangements. By the way, if you do reef fishing, you can have the chefs cook up your catch. We had a fabulous time and caught several barracuda, which the amazing chef cooked for us to perfection! In addition, we went scuba diving with Joe and had great experiences. The groups are small and you see so many great things. Joe is fabulous and you will not find a better dive master to show you awesome reef life out front and down at Hol chan- Day and night!

For a truly unique and relaxing experience, I wholeheartedly recommend the Tranquility Bay Beach Resort. It is quite simply the greatest holiday that we have ever had, and has set the bar extremely high for holidays in the future. Oh yes, Tranquility Bay, we will be back........

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank BelizeBill
Reviewed November 8, 2008

I stayed at Tranquility Bay with my mom and boyfriend. The beach is the prettiest beach I have ever seen. The staff is friendly and knowledgeable. Besides relaxing on the beach and taking long walks on the beach, we went snorkeling, deep sea fishing and went to the mayan ruins. Next time we go back we are definitely going cave tubing.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank bridget_77
Reviewed October 31, 2008

We just returned from a week's stay at Tranquility Bay Resort. The cabana was beautiful with magnificent views. We've never experienced such accomodating resort staff...they were all so nice and attentive to our needs. We flew direct from Houston to Belize City where we transferred to Tropic Air for a short flight to San Pedro. Staff from the resort met us in San Pedro to drive us to the waiting boat for another quick trip to the northern part of Amerbris Caye. We were greeted by the resort manager, Ralf, along with a welcome drink and shrimp cocktail made by Janille and the kitchen crew. The remainder of the week was full of great food, drink, and plenty of time to either relax, snorkel, fish, kayak or do whatever you pleased. We have nothing but great things to say about the location, resort, and the staff. Many thanks to Ralf, Billy, Sergio, Joe, Janille, Tackle Box kitchen staff, and everyone else who helped us spend a wonderful time at Tranquility Bay Resort.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SSVacay
Reviewed October 15, 2008

My fiance and I stayed at Tranquility Bay last spring and we had a really great time. When we pulled up to the resort on the boat, the whole staff was there to meet us which made me feel so welcome.

The rooms were beautiful and the view from our cabana was amazing. During the afternoons, I would sit inside or on the front porch and read and I was still only 50 feet from the ocean.

We went snorkeling with one of the guides named Joe and even though I was a complete novice and a little nervous, he was excellent....very patient. Now I'm hooked.

They were also accommodating and found a guide for us that took us on a tour of some Mayan ruins near the border with Guatamala. We didn't have to do a thing...just had to be ready to board the boat to the mainland at a certain time.

My favorite part was on one of the last nights we were at the resort, it was a rather bright night and you could watch these huge eels from way off in the distance swim towards us and right under the Tacklebox Bar. Later that night, we were playing some board games with some other guests and one of the resort managers jumped in to fill an empty spot. We all laughed and laughed and had so much fun.

I would highly recommend this place to anyone. We are even thinking of having our wedding there now after seeing the great images of another wedding on their website.

• Stayed: May 2008
1  Thank I-miss-belize
Reviewed July 6, 2008

My husband and I stayed at Tranquility Bay at the end of June/beginning of July 2008. We loved it there!!

The cabanas are like small homes instead of the regular hotel rooms you get elsewhere. The view from our cabana was breathtaking and walking to the water's edge took 1 minute! The cabanas really offer the comforts and space of home mixed with the service you get at a hotel. Housekeeping was prompt and very efficient. Beds and towels were of superb, 5-star quality. We have stayed at a number of 5-star places before and I have to honestly say, Tranquilty Bay was better than most-and they are not even billing themselves as five star.

Some people seem concerned about things to do, however, we never experienced any problems filling our days. Among other things, there are long walks you can take on the secluded beach, and snorkeling is fabulous right from the hotel (no boat fees to pay like other people who have to boat in to snorkel). You can walk inland a little ways and see a Mayan cenote (about 35 min walk) and wildlife, or take the free kajaks out for a spin. The resort also offers many tours, including many popular mainland destinations, so you can mix adventure with relaxation. We personally didn't take any tours since we had just done six days of adventuring on the mainland, but the selection offered was really good.

The service and food were also excellent. Everyone, especially manager Ralf and bartender Sergio, went out of their way to make our experience a great one. VERY helpful and concerned with making your stay exceptional. Always available for any questions you may have or things you may need.

We loved the food and drinks at the Tackle Box. If you like shrimp, I highly recommend the Coco Chili Shrimp. Their other shrimp are also great and the special Tranquility Bay drink Sergio mixes is awesome. We got one as a welcome, which was a nice touch.

Enough said, my husband and I are certainly planning on returning to Tranquility Bay in the not to distant future. I highly recommend that you try this resort, it has been one of the best ones we have ever had the pleasure to stay at.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple