Tranquility Bay Resort
SunBreeze Suites(San Pedro)(Great Value!)
$155
Mayan Princess Hotel(San Pedro)(Great Value!)
$127
$120
  • Beachfront
Banyan Bay Suites(San Pedro)(Great Value!)
$360
$236
Caribbean Villas Hotel(San Pedro)(Great Value!)
$161
$126
$277
Orbitz.com
  • Breakfast included
SunBreeze Hotel(San Pedro)(Great Value!)
$138
$127
Orbitz.com
  • Pool
Captain Morgan's Retreat(Ambergris Caye)(Great Value!)
$119
  • Pool
White Sands Cove Resort(San Pedro)(Great Value!)
$123
$110
El Secreto(San Pedro)
$420
Cayo Espanto(San Pedro)
$2,195
  • Breakfast included
All reviewstackle boxsan pedrofishhol chan and shark ray alleymexico rocksdive masterdive shopbudget roombaby oilbarrier reefsea grassminute boat rideboat trafficnurse sharksaquarium restaurantremote locationgreat snorkeling
Reviewed March 22, 2013

We loved this hotel and would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a place to relax and get away from it all. We spent the last 3 nights of our 10 day vacation there in October of 2012. We knew it was remote and would be the perfect place to unwind. We choose TBR because you can snorkel right from the beach and we we were not disappointed with the sea life we saw. We loved taking out the free kayaks and paddling around the calm waters inside the reef whenever we wanted.
The cabanas cost a bit more then we wanted to spend so we opted for the Budget Travelers room and we were pleasantly surprised. It was much larger then expected and still had a decent view of the ocean from the patio. The shower drain did back up a bit but not enough for us to complain. Although, I’m sure if we said anything it would have been addressed right away. We shared our room with a very vocal, nocturnal gecko who would let out a little chatter every now and then. We got a kick out of it and enjoyed its company. To this day we try and recreate the noise he made. The bed was AMAZINGLY comfortable and IMHO rivals the Westin's heavenly bed. I don't know what kind of mattress is it but I need one for my home.
I can not say enough about the welcoming staff that took such good care of us. In fact, we found that everyone in Belize is incredibly friendly. We had a great time with Orlando and Winfield on our late afternoon fishing trip. Andres (waiter/bartender) was our favorite! We had a blast with him on our last night listening to music (from our iphone) and drinking into the wee hours of the morning. The nightlife is what you make it and really depends on the other guests. If you are looking for some wild party, this is not the place for you. Watching the rays, barracuda and tarpon from the deck of the restaurant/bar in the evenings was a highlight.
I do have to say that the mosquitoes and sand fleas were pretty ferocious so come prepared. Although, they do keep baby oil behind the bar to help stave off the little buggers and it was much appreciated.
The food was very fresh and tasty. I was afraid there wouldn't be too much variety since it is the only place to eat but there were plenty of options to chose from. We had something different every meal.
Overall, it was an amazing stay and if we ever go back to Belize we will not hesitate to stay there again. Thanks TBR!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Heather K
Reviewed March 18, 2013

It sure was nice to return to TBR (our 5th trip) after a 3 year absence. It was nice to see that although many of the staff has changed the warm friendly feeling that we get from the staff and other guests still exists and what mainly keeps us coming back.

The Cabanas still amaze me with from the wonderful caribbean colours to the nice cool air in the bedroom from the air conditioner. You'll not find a better view from the porch of the beautiful reef and sea.

The food in the Aquarium Restaurant is simply amazing. Complimentry breakfast with fresh (and I mean fresh) orange juice to accompany a very good selection of entries. We sampled many items from the lunch menu, all of which were great but we always went back for the Conch Cerviche, it was our favorite. Supper was always exciting, fish, fish and more fish. it doesn't come any fresher than heading out with Jamel for a little reef fishing then having the ladies in the kitchen cooking it up to perfection.

What can I say about the great bar staff; Havi, Ceasar and Giovani, they all are wonderful pleasent guys who will mix up anything your heart desires and top it off with great conversation.

My wife and I did a far amount of diving while we were at TBR and were very impressed with the onsite Divemaster - Yemen. He is conscientious, provides excellent briefings and is vigilant thoughout every dive keeping track of air consumption, and always pointing out the amazing sights available to be seen at all of the dive sites located within 5 minutes of the resort. We felt very safe diving with him.

Mr. Pete has the staff running the resort very smooth and everyone always seems to have a smile on their face and is available to chat anytime.

What can I say, the beach walks were awesome, the snorkling better than I remember, the fly fishing was great and the diving was spectacular. Another great holiday at TBR. People are always asking me why we keep going back to the same holiday resort. My answer is because I've found the perfect place.

I'll be back next year.

4  Thank orb56
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We visited Tranquility Bay Resort in late mid February, 2013. In short, we hope to return again. TBR is situated far north on Ambergris Caye. To get there, take the Tropic Air shuttle (20 minutes) from Belize City to San Pedro, where you will connect with the resort’s water taxi for a jolting but beautiful 40 minute ride to the resort. Our greeting was very warm and friendly with a complimentary drink to help us settle in. The resort is very picturesque with nine colorful cabanas of varying capacities. The higher the number of your cabana, the better the view of the ocean and barrier reef you will have. We had #7 and found it to be clean and comfortable – perfect for our needs. After a short orientation with Pete, the manager, we were in the ocean a half hour after arrival.
Among the many plus factors of TBR is the very friendly staff, all of whom work long hours but who were cheerful and always helpful. We also liked the fact that you don’t need to carry cash while at the resort since all expenses are put on a tab to be settled when you check out. Food (especially the Belizean specialties) was quite good and the menu was extensive enough so we could have a different dinner each night. We usually opted for the fish catch special of the day. It is worth the time and money to stop at the duty free store in Belize City airport to pick up any wine or liquor you may want. Prices are ridiculously inexpensive ($15US for a fifth of decent scotch; $6US for a bottle of good cabernet). You may also wish to stop by a market in San Pedro to pick up food to stock your small refrigerator since the resort only offers candy and other snack food during hours the restaurant is closed. The waiters we had, Georgio and Giovanni, were wonderfully friendly and knowledgeable and housekeeping staff were likewise friendly and efficient. Service was excellent.
Of course, the primary draw for Tranquility Bay Resort is the ocean. Snorkeling is magnificent even a short distance from the shore; further out it is even more spectacular. We don’t scuba dive (yet!) but other guests at TBR say it’s some of the best they have ever experienced. The resort offers several day trips ranging from snorkel tours to cultural tours. We took the day trip to Lamanai Mayan ruins; it was the highlight of our vacation. Lamanai was once home to 60,000 Mayans and is considered to be the best preserved archaeological site for Mayan civilization in central/south America.
There are some concerns we have for TBR: the ocean yields up lots of trash and although staff are constantly combing the beachfront and keep it quite clear, it is a continual problem everywhere in Belize. Also, my wife and I are birders and the areas behind the resort provide habitat for many species, but some of these areas are strewn with refuse that make it unsightly in some spots. However, as mentioned above, we had a great experience at TBR and would be happy to return.

Room Tip: Higher numbered cabanas have better view of the ocean.
2  Thank Bassplayer13
Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

This was my second amazing trip to TBR. First of all, I need to give a big shout out to Jerisue with reservations for going above and beyond in helping me make this last minute trip possible to visit my sweetie. She is always a pleasure to work with. The welcome I received from the staff made me feel like I'd never left. Another guest even commented on it. I now have some special friends there, and I can't wait to see them all when I return in June for a longer trip with my niece. You can't beat Tranquility Bay Resort as a wonderful vacation destination. It's now become my second home. I wouldn't change much at all, especially most of the terrific, friendly staff. I'm counting down the days to my next visit. Wish I was there now!!

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank Hayley B
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I can't really share much more than what has already been said by the others who traveled here this February. We were there from the 20th to the 25th. Everyone was really awesome. I do agree that it was unfortunate that everyone just ate and left so early - that's more just a lot of introverts visiting at the same time more than anything else. I got a little bored after dark. It would have been nice to chat and drink with the other guests. Needless to say, I came to relax and got just that. I read 2 books, snorkeled daily, chatted up the bartender, Cesar, and another couple who had visited 4 times before their current trip. That told me a lot about this place as a whole. We walked the beach, watched the iguanas and really just chilled...

You can do a little.... or a lot. It's really up to you and your budget. We stayed in the budget room, which was perfect for us. The windy nights did make the door rattle, but that's truly my one and only complaint if I had to find something. It didn't bother me too much though since the bed was super comfy.

Room Tip: You still get a view with the budget room.. it's more like an efficiency apartment. Great for couples. Plus, you get the special view of both the ocean and the back side of the property, which has a lot of iguanas wandering.
1  Thank xal629