“Dream Honeymoon”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ambergris Caye
Tranquility Bay Resort
Ranked #23 of 56 Hotels in Ambergris Caye
Fresno, California
“Dream Honeymoon”
Reviewed December 27, 2011

We spent our honeymoon here after being married @ Captain Morgan's Retreat & could not have asked for more. We chose this resort due to the remote location, small size & close proximity to the reef. The beautiful pictures online don't even do it justice. This place is a dream. The hospitality was great and because it's so small you get to know the staff. We originally thought that we would want to take a day to travel back to town but once we were there we did not feel the need to leave. We spent everyday snorkeling, laying in the sun, walking the area around the resort. This is the perfect place for a first-time snorkeler, as I was, because being able to start out from the beach allowed me to build up my comfort level. By the second day I was going out twice a day. Food is good. Cabanas are roomy and so charming. Water is gorgeous!

Room Tip: Cabana 7 has a great view
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Christine B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed December 22, 2011

The pros:
- Great beach with hammocks and loungers. Very beautiful
- Friendly staff
- Quite location
- Large rooms with a/c, safe, fridge.
- Only a few bungalows, so you don't have a lot of neighbours
- Good snorkelling off shore

The cons:
- The restaurant - the food is OK, but nothing special. Flies are a problem (which we sympathize with) but certain measures can be taken to help keep flies at bay. Cleaning off the condiment containers, wiping down the tables, sweeping the food off the floor and cleaning away the dirty dishes off the bar would help. If you are looking for tastier food without the flies for the same price try the restaurant at Sueno del Mar (few minute walk south of Tranquility).

- The fishing excursion - terrible value. It cost $220US for 4 hrs on a boat that takes you about 100ft from the resort. The boat couldn't have used more than $10 in petrol. We caught lots of fish but mostly small stuff. We didn't really want to keep them, but the staff were insistent, mostly because they wanted to eat the fish (fine by us). The worst part was you'd think after spending all that money the resort would offer to cook up a plate of fish for you for free - nope, expect to pay $25US for that, it's only free for the staff. The whole experience just seemed overpriced. Not sure what the other excursions are like as we didn't do any.

Overall we enjoyed our stay. If you are looking for a nice beach, snorkelling and a quite location this is a good choice.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Wendy2223
TBR-Manager, Manager at Tranquility Bay Resort, responded to this review, January 4, 2012
Thank you for reviewing. I apologise for the flies that were around the restaurant. This is not the normal. For some reason there was an abundance during the three days that you were at the resort. Your review tends to imply that our restaurant is unclean which is not true. The grill is cleaned until is shines each evening. The walls and floors of the kitchen are washed weekly. Our food generally gets great reviews. We will try to clean the condiment bottles more regularly. Thanks for the suggestion.
I have been eating at the restaurant for almost three years and still enjoy the food.
The fishing prices are fairly standard on the island. When you take a fishing trip from town you spend a lot of time coming up to the best fishing areas... close to Tranquility Bay Resort. I will refrain from going into the costs of operating boats, staff and fishing gear in paradise!

Cheers,
Carlos
Gloucester, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 15, 2011

We chose Tranquility Bay based on location, and the easy availability of swimming, fishing, diving, and snorkeling. We were very pleased with our choice. We were there 5 nights and 4 full days, and managed 2 diving outings (for the diver), a fishing afternoon (for the 2 fishermen - we got to eat their catch for supper, prepared by the great cooks in the kitchen), a snorkeling outing for the 3 of us, and as much swimming and snoozing in the hammocks as we wanted. Staff were great, especially Orlando. He is pretty much in charge of the docks, boats, etc. and he knows his stuff. Carlos and Isabelle are the couple who are running the resort and it seems one of them is always available, and helpful. The place is even more beautiful than the pictures! It is very casual - you can stay barefoot in your bathing suit all day and be very happy!

Room Tip: We were in cabana #9. #2 is closest to the office and restaurant/bar/dock building. Doesn't real...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Mary789
Santa Ynez, California
Reviewed December 9, 2011

My family had our reunion here and every one from 8 to 80 had a wonderful time. The cabana's are wonderful giving every one all the creature comforts with great beds, air conditioning and fans and bathrooms. We had a small kitchen that was perfect and a great living room and porch that served as a great place for happy hour or the nightly poker tournament .

The true slice of paradise is the prestine setting and amazingly warm staff. The reef is an easy swim from shore and the beach is clean, white and perfect. We loved the staff who took the time to get to know each of us... Food, drinks and activities.

I would go back in a heart beat and I encourage you to go too!

Room Tip: Because you are in a wonderfully remote spot, bring snacks, cocktails and bug spray.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Christa R
Reviewed December 5, 2011

My wife and I picked TQB after our typical multi month obsessive research process. While I had little doubt it would be great, the 10 days we stayed were pretty much perfect. The staff from the first minute were infectious with their friendly and fun attitudes. Hill, Alberto and Mc... You are missed! Orlando and Jamal... My five year old (Henry) is dead set on becoming your "helper guide" when he grows up. If there's an opening, i may join him. Carlos, Isabel and Mya keep up the good work... Your efforts are evident in your success. Thanks also to the rest of the staff who are too many to list but all contributed to our wonderful experience.

This place is simply beautiful. It is historic and unique. The beach is gorgeous, with my favorite view from the reef looking back at the beach/resort. The snorkeling was endless and safe for my kids... Who transformed into little fish over the days we were there. Speaking of fish... Go fishing. I did a day trip for bones and had a blast. Evening fishing just minutes from the dock for a few hours every other day became a family favorite as well.

The food was great. I had fish, shrimp and lobster every day. Ordering drinks usually involved ordering the "surprise me". The dirty banana was delic, along with the naked iguana.

This is an old fashioned style resort that is based on the natural beauty of location and the warmth of the people. I'm glad that it exists. We left better for the experience.

• Stayed November 2011
2 Thank Mboydpdx
Reviewed November 28, 2011

There really isn't anything negative to say at all. We truly got the vacation we were seeking! We wanted away from our hectic schedules and all the stress and that was exactly what we got.
The food we had was amazing! The Thanksgiving dinner on the beach and the bonfire after was superb. The staff are so friendly you will feel as though you have been friends with them your entire life. Isabelle and Carlos were always around if we had anything come up that we needed. Their daughter Mya is just a darling little angel.
We will definately go back! We typically never return to the same place, we like to visit different countries every time.....but this is different. We fell in love with it.
Special thanks to Hill, Orlando and Antonio for taking such great care of us.
If snorkeling, fishing and relaxing are your thing then this is the place for you. If you like the city thing and like the hustle and bustle of the town then this isn't the place for you.
Thank you all so much for 10 wonderful days! Hope to see you again soon!!!

• Stayed November 2011
Bozeman, Montana
Reviewed November 26, 2011

This resort is very very remote and quite beautiful and had every thing we were looking for except the warm and cozy from the mgmt. ( staff was great). My wife and son and I arrived for a week in mid march 2011 (I decided to wait to write the review to see if I might have been over reacting, and came to the conclusion my first instincts were right on.) We were greeted at the Airport in San Pedro and were made to hurry as out flight out of Belize city was late, and the resort was using a day charter boat full of guests as our ferry to the resort. Since this was not our first trip to the Caye we had decide we wanted to shop in town for some items and was told this was not possible and to get on the boat. I did manage a quick stop at a store near the dock and picked up some drinks and snacks. We arrived at TBR and were greeted by carlos and given the welcome speech and drink and all was good.From here on things went down hill. Apparently at the same time we were there one of the owners was also planning a visit with a large group (all very nice and well mannered) but this had Carlos and his wife consumed with making sure their stay went off without a glitch. Any trips we wanted to make to town, we were made to feel as if we were an impostition as the TBR boats were being used to ferry the owners around at their request.
We never saw Isabell until out second to last day, except once at the tackle box during dinner. Never once did either Carlos or Isabell stop by our cabana to see if all was ok, and if there was anything we might need. It actually seemed as if we were being avoided.
Three month before our arrival I made arrangemnts for my family to charater a boat for a day to visit Caye Caulker and try bonefishing. I optioned 2 days I would have liked to do this and was given neither. Again because of the owners needs and the Mgmts lack of pre-planing, we were given the only day it rained while we were there and did not get to fish because the guide got pickled while we waited out the rain in Caye Caulker.(Still paid full price)
I think the requests of the vacationing customer should have been put before the owners. The mgm had his thinking cap on backwards.
Inspite of all this, I must say that our trip was still wonderful. The resort has some of the most fantastic snorkeling right out the front door of the cabanas. Every morning after breakfast my son and I would swim for hours, we saw eels, hundreds of reef fish, octopus,cudas and more. The staff was great--ESPECIALLY Hill. My son and I fished right at the dock, and from shore and caught bones,permit and cuda. The Cabanas are very comfortable and well air-conditioned. trips to to town ( when we could find room on a boat) were very enjoyable. Food was good, except breakfast.(neighbor lady makes great breakfast rolls and pizza). We were still able to relax a bit even though trying to get Carlos to focus on a couple of our pre-planned request was a bit nerve wracking.
If asked to go back I would probably have to decline, although I did enjoy the peope we met and the time spent, and would like to thank the owners for the nice dinner and band they provided their last night at the resort.
P.S. I did send e-mails to both the resort and the booking agent for the resort about my concerns and never received a reply.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family