“Great Blue Hole Ambergric Caye Belize (Not so great)”

The Great Blue Hole at Lighthouse Reef
Book In Advance
More Info
$412.50*
and up
Blue Hole and Turneffe Islands Helicopter Tour
More attraction details
Owner description: The most famous dive site in Belize was discovered by Jacques Cousteau.
Brisbane, Australia
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Great Blue Hole Ambergric Caye Belize (Not so great)”
Reviewed December 13, 2012

Photos I've seen on the internet of the Great Blue Hole got me so excited we extended our holiday to go to Belize. We stayed on an Island and went with the local dive shop for a very long journey out to the GBH. I was expecting to feel like I was in an amazing hole, but it only felt like a wall dive. Not much marine life and not much colour. We spent 3 days on the island and did several dives on the beautiful reefs and then headed back to Belize Town. We wanted to go zip lining and cave diving and both were amazing adventures not far from the city. Both very well organized with safety first. I loved this part of our time in Belize. Here in Australia you have to be a certified cave diver to do what we did. I would never be able to experience cave diving here, but my husband is a cave diver and could vouch for my buoyancy control. So it's well worth going to Belize City for these activities. BUT Belize is a very poor country and much dirtier than anywhere we've traveled. Open drains are everywhere. It's an extremely unsafe city too! We were very lucky to meet up with a tour operator/driver by the name of Manny. He took us under his wing and watched over us. He was wonderful. If you're planning to go to Belize, book for the tours, do them then hop over to the islands. They are much cleaner and the sea is wonderful. There's lots of great reef diving close to the islands of Belize.
Happy diving, Dianne

Visited April 2012
13 Thank Dianne A

• Hungarian first
Brisbane, Australia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Have no idea where the hype comes from”
Reviewed December 13, 2012

I have done four different dives in the Blue Hole -- the last 3 with friends who had not done it; all at different times of the year. Each time was Boring. Putting aside for a moment the back-killing, long boat ride out to the Hole, and the extremely over-priced fees to the dive shops to go out there, the dive itself was simply uninspiring -- Very little marine life, poor to average vis, and of course no coral because it's so deep. I have done scuba diving all over the world. And still I don't get why everyone keeps saying the Blue Hole is the Best Dive site in the world. Huh?? Now, the Zoo or the Aquarium dive sites off Ambergris Caye are SPECTACULAR! Awesome marine life, long bottom time, great coral, great light because the vis is so awesome. Save your time, money and sore back and stay in close and do these sites instead.

18 Thank Elizabeth B
Bristol, Tennessee
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Pick your Dive Operater Carefully On This One”
Reviewed December 13, 2012

Of course The Blue Hole in Belize is a natural attraction. At the depths dove there (130'-140") it's not for the novice diver. It is an exillarating dive non-the-least. If you are a diver and in Belize, it is a must do. However, pick your dive operator carefully.
We used Aqua Scuba and here the story goes:
On our first attempt out from Ambergris Cay, an oil line ruptured on one of the engines after picking up some passengers in Cay Calker. We head back to Cay Calker for a "quick fix". After 1 1/2 hours we put back to Ambergris Cay so the day ( a vacation day) is shot. Later that night we are informed that tomorrow is a go. After picking up divers in Cay Calker we head out to sea. As our luck would have it a horrible storm rolled in and cought the worst of it. Now the OTHER engine is overheating so the captain shuts in down and we are tossing and turning in every direction which actually was sort of a fun ride. The problem was that after the storm we was off course and they didn't have GPS !! After circling for a while,squinting to get a hint of something out we see a boat. We head towards it and another dive operator was at the Blue Hole.
We dive the hole and head to Half Moon Key. We were the first to suit up so the divemaster ,knowing we are very experienced, tells to go on it and wait on the bottom. Another instructor joined us. We waited, waited, heard the boat moving around, waited....then surfaced only to see the boat going around the island. Ever see the movie "Open Water" ?? After swimming towards the shore about 2 miles out, (going on an hour), the Park Rangers came and picked us up. Nobody came down to tell us the BOAT WAS SINKING.
After 14hrs and three boats later we are back in Ambergris Cay. I guess all's well that ends well you might say. But pick your dive operator carefully and go. Just ask the locals at the shops, restaurants and even in the streets.It's a smal island and everybody knows everything.You'll never live it down when your friends know you were in Belize diving and didn't do The Blue Hole.

10 Thank divehere
Boston, Massachusetts
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Nothing else like it”
Reviewed December 13, 2012

The entire experience was surreal. I am an advanced scuba diver. I am from Florida and have dove there and many other places in the Caribbean and Mediterranean, but I have never experienced something so unique and awe inspiring.

Visited November 2012
5 Thank GlobalGator28
Indiana
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“It's a biology dive”
Reviewed December 13, 2012

I really like this dive trip (I went with Amigos and they were mostly great, had a really rough ride out but that's not their fault.)

The thing about the Blue Hole dive is that a lot of divers are used to diving for biology. Reefs, fish, vegetation formations. But you can't go into this dive with that orientation or you will be disappointed. For this dive you have to focus on geology. The stalactites are amazing, huge, swim over and try to hug one, they are enormous. Run your fingers over it, note the wearing away of time on the surface--this is what makes this dive cool (as well as the water since you hit a thermocline somewhere around 110 feet. It is a relatively fast dive, you go down deep, don't have a lot of time, and head very slowly up to the safety stop. For those who insist on biology we saw a nice variety of sharks in the water, some circling above, some below--a moment of understanding who the meat in this sandwich was!! For biology your two other dives on shallow reefs are great. Not nearly as affected by human interaction as mainland dive-sites, I really enjoyed the "Aquarium" dive.

Its a pricey trip, but worth doing. I will go back next time in Belize with my wife who is now an experienced enough diver to do this dive. My one complaint about Amigos was that we had people who had no business going that deep on the trip, but I'm not sure the boat new that before we hit the water.

Go, have fun, dive deep, breath slow.

6 Thank Polysemous