“Restaurant review only - use your credit card”
Review of Mambo Restaurant

Mambo Restaurant
Ranked #68 of 222 Restaurants in Ambergris Caye
Cuisines: International
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed June 8, 2013

We did not stay at the resort, but it is truly lovely. However, our experience with the restaurant was less than great. Our first visit was outstanding. We walked over from our house and found that the restaurant didn't open until 6:30 but the bar staff said we could get snacks and drinks. We had the gazpacho, guacamole and salsa. EXCELLENT! The staff was super attentive and kind. They even brought additional tables outside for us. So why not 5 stars, well we decided to go back for dinner. When we walked in, they asked us if we were staying there and when we said no, we were directed to the lobby area in what some of us perceived as a not so friendly way. It was so dark in that part of the restaurant that we had to use a flashlight to see the menu. I had the grouper and was totally unimpressed. Not much flavor and a little overcooked and horrible presentation on the plate. My friends had multiple appetizers and all liked their food. The dessert friend raved over the soufflé and they really liked the shrimp tempura. They added a service charge to our tab for 4 people and I am pretty sure that the menu said that it would only be added for parties of 6 or more. If we hadn't noticed, we would have grossly overtipped. So we pay the bill and are walking back to our house, when we are chased down the beach like criminals. They said that the local bank won't take cash that has marks or is torn so we tried standing on the beach in the dark swapping out cash in the wind. We finally gave up as we couldn't find "suitable" bills and went back in and gave them my card. The caretaker at our house said he had never heard of such a thing. We used cash at numerous restaurants and businesses and never had a problem. We were really embarrassed about being treated this way. It looked as if we had walked our ticket. So forget the cash if you decide to eat here.

2  Thank AffieMom
Matachica, Owner at Mambo Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2013

Thanks very much for your posting. With respect to the issue of service charge, we clearly indicate on our menus that a service charge is automatically added to your bill. This is very typical of the vast majority of restaurants and hotels in Belize and no additional gratuity is expected.

With respect to the torn bills, while you might find the issue bizarre, Belize currency is controlled by a very strict Central Bank system and we regularly face returns. Believe it or not, the Central Bank of Belize can and does refuse to accept marked, torn or otherwise 'unacceptable' currency. I assure you that no one on our staff "chased you down the beach like criminals". Rather, moments after you had left, one of our staff noticed that the currency that you had furnished would most likely be rejected by our Bank and we asked to be paid properly.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

We were staying nearby at the Portofino resort and decided to try another restaurant. We enjoyed Mambo so much that we dined there twice. The pecan crusted chicken was delicious! Everything we ordered was good. The service was very good also.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

First, I did not really pay any attention to pricing because we had breakfast and dinner included in our packages. I have to admit I noticed pricig was high but the food was good enough to justify, especially consdering resort restaurants always seem to be a little higher anywhere. Every single thing we ordered was excellent. Breakfast menu had most american type breakfast items and a few local food choices as well. Orange juice was fresh squezed and delicious. Portions were generous. Dinner menu has a little bit of everything from fish to shellfish to poulty, steak and thick pork chops. There are pasta options as well that were very good- the pasta carbonara with shrimp was good enough that I ordered it a second time! Appetizers and really good and desserts as well. The presentation was beautiful service is top notch.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Wow the food was out of this world! The staff is very accomodating, and will come pick you up at your resort and bring you back after dinner at no cost. We really enjoyed this resort dining and bar areas. We dined there 2 times on our honeymoon and both times we were completely blown away with the quality of the food, the five star service and the eclectic choices on the menu! Pricing was a little high, but it was completely worth it!

Reviewed May 19, 2013

Food was well prepared and fresh, though a little overpriced sometimes. Portions were nice. I think I would normally be very happy with the food though the jungle lodge I had just come from was exceptional so my palette was spoiled. The seafood was very fresh.
I did however get tired of the coconut rice that came with any meals, I like it sometimes but it got old after a week.