“Happy but not thrilled!”

Residence Inn Atlanta Alpharetta/North Point Mall
Ranked #18 of 24 Hotels in Alpharetta
myrtle beach
“Happy but not thrilled!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

We booked this hotel for the American Girl Experience. As you can imagine everyone looked forward to this for a long time. I just wish the experience could have been a little smoother.

First, the location is AWESOME, you could walk safely to the mall if you want to. It is located on a nice quiet street, on the side of the mall. Easy to access.

The hotel front desk staff is awesome. They made a big deal about having our niece check in with her doll. I did get the feeling that they were a little overwhelmed as it was spring break and the hotel was very busy. Our friends actually booked this package at the Marriott down the street ( not a residence INN) and had a great experience. I think that they have a little better amenities when it comes to this package. Example here you do not get the use of a robe for you and your doll during your stay, do not get milk and cookies delivered to your room nightly for you and your doll, and do not have a completely pink bed like the other Marriott. If we ever do this agin, I think we will try the other Marriott.

Here are a few things to consider when booking this hotel.
Front desk staff is Extremely helpful. The lobby is clean, and the breakfast is good. The pool looked nice although it was too cold for us to use.

When I booked this room I called weeks in advance and requested a first floor room. I always do this and have never been denied this request. I was told on the phone that it was not a problem. When I arrived we were in a second floor room...not the end of the world, but I did give them plenty of notice to honor our request. The pack in plays were not set up, this is the first time this has ever been an issue. They are always set up and ready for us when we arrive at R. Inn's. First impression of the room was that it was clean and well kept. However upon closer inspection there was a dirty wet towel left in the bathroom. Of course this makes you start to second guess the cleaning of the room. I kindly walked the dirty towel bagged to the front desk who was very apologetic and even let our niece choose and extra market snack at no cost. I thought that this was very kind. When I arrived back to the room I noticed that there was a large amount of water on the bathroom floor. Upon further inspection it was determined that the toilet was leaking......I again walked to the front desk and had a less pleasant experience. The front desk was lovely, I asked to speak with the manager and a female supervisor came to speak with me. She seemed very unconcerned with our issues. I asked to be moved to another room, as our baby was ready to take a nap and we wanted to unpack after a 6 hr trip. We did not maintenance in and out of the room, as it would wake up the baby. The response from the supervisor was " we are sold out". Wrong! I suggested to her that she move us to another room that had not checked in and fix the issue and check a later arriving guest into that room. She reluctantly did this, although we had to wait 45 minutes when she said it would be ready in 20m minutes. They did not send anyone to help us with our bags or even bring us a luggage cart. When I suggested that we would need help moving the 2 pack in plays the supervisor stated " i will be the one having to move them" Really? Where is maintenance that will be fixing the toilet? The new room was not as nice as the first. we lost the fireplace which my niece was very interested in, it was not decorated in all pink like it should have been. ( I mean that's the main reason for our stay). It felt like the hotel did not care that we were inconvenienced and disappointed. I did get a response from the hotel manager, only after I contacted him via email. He did kindly comp one night, which was not the reason I complained. We would have much rather had a carefree, issue free stay. No matter how many free nights are given, it just does not change the feeling or experience when you are not treated like an important guest.

Regarding the AG package they did have movie night in the meeting room with pink bean bags, pink lemonade and popcorn....that was a lot of fun. The check-in area was cute. It was roped off with a pink rope and our niece even received her own pink key. The cookies were waiting for us in the room, but they forgot to put any milk in there, so we had to go to the front desk to get it. Sometimes it the little details that matter the most and this is a good example. I think that this hotel is better suited for a traveler.

I don't think I could recommend this hotel for the American Girl Doll experience with 100% confidence. I would stay at the other Marriott listed on the AG page.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

We just returned from the Residence Inn. It is right across from the American Girl Doll store at the North Point Mall. ALso, they have American Girl packages including doll beds etc... Every night they show American Girl movies in the conference room where they serve pink lemonade and popcorn, and the girls can sit on pink beanbags. This hotel really completed our American Girl experience. All of the staff went out of there way to be helpful and accommodating. The rooms were clean and comfortable. Highly recommended....especially for those interested in the American Girl Doll experience.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

Suite was clean and really nice, but when we woke up ants invaded the kitchen area and living space. We had no food lying around and ants were all over my purse phone and everything lying on the tables and countertop. Hundreds of ants.

• Stayed March 2013
Provo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

I have stayed at several Hotels in Alpharetta while traveling for business and I recently stayed at this Residence Inn and was impressed. The staff was very friendly and they had a great breakfast selection. My room was quiet and comfortable and the beds were nice to sleep on. The location is great as it's close to restaurants and the mall. Overall, it was a great place to stay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Grand Falls Windsor, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

We just visited Alpharetta because my husband was attending a conference here in North Point Georgia. We travelled with one other couple and an infant. We booked this hotel because we could have the "2 bedroom suite" which was perfect for our group. The room consisted of a common living area with fireplace, TV, fully equipped kitchen and couch. Then on either side were fully enclosed bedrooms with their own full separate bathrooms. This hotel was recently updated in 2012 and we were more than impressed. The hotel is less than a 5 min walk from the North Point Mall. You can see the mall from the parking lot of the hotel. It also is conveniently located in an area with places to eat very close by (Chili's, TGI Fridays, Steak n Shake , Pizza Kitchen and others! Also, a 10 min walk away is North Point Market (Marshalls, Carters , Nordstrom shoe store , Target , Old Navy etc. )

While our husbands attended the conference we had lots to occupy us with everything so close by there was no need for cabs because the weather was nice enough to walk. The hotel staff were very friendly and were available to help whenever we needed anything. They provided a Pack and Play for our baby to sleep in and there is a hotel vehicle that can be available to pick up / drop off at times for close by locations.

The hotel also provides a full hot breakfast. There was lots to choose from and no one should have to leave hungry.

I would definitely recommend this location and would stay here again if I am ever in the North Point area!

There is a nice pool area outside, however, the time of year we visited wasn't quite warm enough for a dip!

Room Tip: If you want to shop ask to be in the building closest to the mall, for quicker walking access, even...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Modiin, Israel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

Stayed for 2 night on a business trip.
Hotel is very well located, walking distance to a big mall and tons of restaurant in the area (Sage was very good). Rooms are very big and very nice.
Room had a fresh clean smell.
Nice lobby and breakfast area were they also server a "light" dinner and drinks (all free)
The dinner was burgers and hot dogs on one night which were good.
Would recommend for business or with family.

Room Tip: Rooms of the first floor are open to the internal yard (and pool and basketball cort) so they feel k...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Cape Cod, Ma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

We love to stay at this Residence Inn, it is very convenient to everything...especially the Mall, which we walked to.
The people there are very accomadating, especially Mary Beth who checked us in. We asked if it would be possible to upgrade to a two bedroom if it was available. She checked and it was which made our visit a lot more enjoyable to have the extra room. Thank you Mary Beth!
The rooms are very clean and they serve breakfast. Would highly recommend!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family