“meh.....ok, but not great”
Review of Smokejack

Smokejack
Ranked #1 of 546 Restaurants in Alpharetta
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stopped by Saturday afternoon to pick up some lunch to enjoy in the park. Ordered two pork sandwiches with sauce on the side, baked beans and collard greens. Pork sandwiches were pretty good, nice soft buns, plenty of meat, but the sauce they gave me was a mustard-based Carolina sauce that was just awful. I didn't specify which sauce I wanted and after looking over the to-go menu, realized they had several. The baked beans were outstanding, the best thing we ordered. The collard greens were so salty we couldn't eat them. The restaurant is good looking with a great bar. But for pork sandwiches, I'll go to Dreamland from now on.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

This was one of the best restaurants we have come across since our move to Atlanta a year ago. I had the Mojo Smoked Combo which consisted of pulled pork, burnt ends & beef brisket; each had a different sauce - all were tender and very flavorful. The sides were exceptional also. I chose sweet mashed potatoes which were light, fluffy & yummy and the wood smoked vegetables which were perfectly seasoned, smoked and not overdone. The cornbread muffins were to die for - light and just a little sweet. As an appetizer we chose fried green tomatoes, which were the best I EVER ate. The tomatoes were sliced thick, breaded with tasty seasoning, fried to perfection and served with a tangy sauce. I could only eat half my meal because the portions are big, but for $19 for the combo, I had a full meal for the next day - not complaining. In addition, the staff were polite & attentive. The restaurant's atmosphere is that of a casual, relaxed BBQ joint, but more refined. On top of it all, they had live music. We stayed quite awhile after dinner to listen and enjoy it. PS the Margaritas were served in large tall glasses and were also great!

Reviewed February 27, 2013

In keeping with our habit of trying the Pulled Pork BBQ Sandwich at as many BBQ joints we can, we hopped on into this Alpharetta location of Smokejack last evening. The decor is typical BBQ joint style, albeit slightly upscale from our typical forays into such restaurants, and very inviting and comfortable. We were seated directly at a table for four. The place is pretty spacious and was not loud. I'm not sure if that's because there were fewer folks there or because of the building, a 180 year old brick edifice that added to the ambiance for me.

My partner & I both ordered the pulled pork BBQ Sandwich (pictured) @ $7.95 with one side included. I opted for the Wood Grilled Vegetables, my partner opted for the cole slaw. The BBQ also comes as a platter, without the bread and with two sides. I typically try to stay away from white bread in any form and the server did offer Rye Bread as an alternative but I wanted to see what kind of roll they offered, so I took the sandwich. It was an egg type looking white bread roll that served as a nice vehicle for the BBQ, not just a white bread bun that is often typical, so I was satisfied.

Now, I like my Pork BBQ "Carolina Style" with Cole Slaw on top and since my partner was not about to start sharing his portion (dang) our server offered me a small cup of slaw for an extra $.35. It was a perfect amount to top my sandwich off. The pork itself was thick chopped and delicious. The server asked me which I would prefer and I asked for all 3 of their offerings which she happily agreed to.

The three sauce offerings (pictured) are: Carolina (mustard based), Sweet (a thick sweeter flavor), "Hot" (consistency of the sweet but more tangy). The server said they used peppers in making the hotter one. My personal favorite was the Carolina (of course!) but the Sweet & Hot were also good but used in moderation. They are very thick, thicker than ketchup, and packed with a lot of flavor. I don't like to overpower my pork, so though I tried them all, I stuck mostly with the Carolina.

The vegetables were delicious, nicely seasoned and with great flavor. The coleslaw was "eh". I've had better, I've had worse. It didn't really do anything for my sandwich but it didn't take away from it either. Like I said, "eh".

One of our table mates ordered the BBQ Chicken platter (pictured) and it comes with the chicken already in the BBQ sauce. I wouldn't care for that since sampling sauces is part of the experience for me but she said she enjoyed it quite a lot. She ordered Fried Green Tomatoes for her side and shared them with me. YUM! Smokejack has a hit here. They were fried but not greasy and seasoned with a slight kick in the batter. I do usually like FGTs but these were in the "love" category. I will order them for myself next time.

Our other table mate just ordered the Apple Crisp a la mode (pictured) for his meal....gotta love a guy who goes straight for the desserts! I didn't taste it. I didn't have a chance to! He said it was excellent so that's good enough for me.

All in all, I give it 4 stars for the Pork, the ambiance, the sauces & the FGTs. I found it to be not quite as good as Three Little Pigs in Pine Mountain, GA (the best pork BBQ in GA thus far!) but definitely better than most of the offerings "in town". We will certainly go back!

1  Thank LBinGA
Reviewed February 25, 2013

As self-proclaimed connoisseurs of southern BBQ, my husband and I love to check out local places. On a recent trip to Alpharetta (our home 20 years ago) we came across SmokeJack right in the heart of town on main street. The outside looks a little hip, but, hey! great cue comes in all kinds of packages. We were promptly seated and waited on by our server. The decor is very comfortable and tastefully done. There were several families with small children there and numerous couples eating. A pretty good crowd for a Sunday night. I had a few questions regarding their gluten-free items and was assured there were plenty of choices for me. I ordered the pulled pork shoulder with 2 sides (wood grilled veggies and collard greens). The BBQ was delicious and the collards were some of the best I have had! My husband ordered the burnt ends (delectable cuts of beef cooked just so), collard greens and fries. I couldn't believe he ordered fries with all the other side choices, but, he assured me the seasoning was perfect! Our meal was great, portions were a good size although I had my server bring more of the tasty BBQ sauce. I can't remember which sauce I had, but they have several types available. If I could have licked my plate I would have - that is how good it was! We will be going back to Smokejack again!

2  Thank 5GeorgiaTravelers
Reviewed February 14, 2013

I've passed by Smokejack Barbecue at least a dozen times and alway sais to my wife, "we have to try that place!"

We both love cue and eat it several times a month. Smokejack was touted to us by a friend who rolled his eyes when he mentioned the Burn Ends he enjoyed there. That was the tipping point. We went that week.

If you've never eaten burnt ends, you haven't enjoyed barbecue fully. The burnt ends are actually the tips of the brisket which because they are thinner than the rest of the cut tend to be slightly burnt in the smoking process.

I could not believe just how good they are here. The staff is very friendly and the atmospher is that of a peanut shells on the floor place without the peanut shells. It's sort of like being in A Texas BBQ joint.

Now if I was going to be strapped in the chair and this was my last meal, I would pass from this place with a smile (well a grimace) but never-the-less-happy knowing what a terrific last meal it was. Provided of course a large piece of cheesecake accompanied the burnt ends.

I can only say that unless you have had burn ends you BBQ experience is not complete. We will return to try other dishes but one of them will be Burnt Ends which we will share as we eat our way through the menu of ribs, pulled pork and other goodies on the menu. This is my favorite BBQ experience EVER!