“Revisiting the site of our rehearsal Dinner 18 years Ago”

Altobeli's Italian Restaurant & Piano Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Altobeli's Italian Restaurant & Piano Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #44 of 551 Restaurants in Alpharetta
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Haynes Bridge Road
Description: Serving North Metro Atlanta since 1988, Traditional and authentic menu items from all regions of Italy. Fully stocked bar and expanded wine list. Live entertainment every night, with 5 nights Piano and vocals and 2 nights of Jazz and Motown, Altobeli's is the place for the hottest entertainment anywhere east of Mississippi. Past featured singers includes late Whitney Houston, Bobby Brown, Toni Braxton, and... 2 private dining rooms with 30 and 50 capacity respectively , Open nightly at 5 for dinner and Lunch Tuesday - Friday.
Reviewed April 18, 2012

My family and I have just moved back to Atlanta after almost 15 years and went to see if Altobeli's restaurant was still in business. Good news is that it is, and the same great owners are still greeting you at the front of the house...best of all, the food was just as outstanding as we remembered it all those years ago...The Shrimp, Veal and Chicken Trio was to die for and the owner was gracious enough to send over two glasses of champagne gratis in recognition of our 18th wedding anniversary....

I have ahd the great fortune to dine in some of the great restaurants that in habit this great country and i have to say it was comforting to know that Altobeli's was still cranking out authentic Italian after all these years....

Reviewed March 9, 2012

Dinner with a date. The atmosphere was nice. I was greeted warmly. The menus were already on the table. It was not busy yet, but the staff seemed to be anxious. Our order was taken and food arrived in a reasonable amount of time, was served politely, and with fresh grated cheese. The food was generously portioned but not ridiculous. It was at this point that no one person seemed to be assigned to our table. At least 3 different people came by to ask if we needed anything further. When asked for a refill of hot water, the waiter removed the mug and after a short while brought back a water glass of hot water. Other than an anxious staff a little scattered, everything was acceptable. Would definitely recommend the food.

Reviewed January 5, 2012

We were traveling on business in the Atlanta area and checked the Open Table website for recommendations. What a lucky find! Proof that non-Italians can run a successful Italian restaurant. It is a great little neighborhood restaurant tucked away in a small strip mall. The atmosphere is very cozy and inviting. We were welcomed as though we were old friends of the owner and then seated away from a large group in a quiet, romantic booth. The server was very professional and efficient. The wine list was extensive as were the menu choices. Not your basic red sauce and pasta entrees. We each had different selections and everything was superb. We have been back to the area on business since then and made a point of going back for another delightful meal. Highly recommended.

Reviewed November 21, 2011

I want to make very clear that I do not want to give this place even one star. I have never in my life in any restaurant, store, otherwise been treated the way I was treated at this place. Before I lay out the details I only have one regret that in the heat of the moment I did not get the name of the guy who treated us so badly- I really wish I had. He was tallish- maybe 40 blondish hair. Who knows- he could own the place. And this is not about the food- we were not given the chance to eat.

So my aunt is visiting me from out of town and she generously offered to take me and my husband out to dinner. I wanted her to have a nice sit down dinner and since we had never tried Altobeli's before we thought we'd check it out and it's in the neighborhood. I call 8:00pm on Saturday and ask if they have any tables available. The guy on the phone was like "We are crazy busy" So I say "So are you not taking reservations?" He says "Well maybe like 9:30" So I say "Okay let me check with my group and I'll call you back.". . .That was okay with everyone so I called back. 3 times over 10 minutes, no one picked up. Went to voicemail. That should have been my first clue. I then asked my husband to try. He got someone on the phone. I heard the conversation. Someone took our reservation. 3 people for 9pm. I was surprised- Awesome- better than 9:30! Okay. . .

We walk in at 9pm on the dot. We stand in the small entryway waiting. . . .and waiting. No one is at the hostess desk. . .Finally aforementioned guy who I don't know his name ("guy") brisks past us- "Can I help you" Husband: "We have a reservation at 9pm" Guy: "What do you mean you have a reservation (scoffing and checking computer) I've got nothing on here- we're not even taking reservations anymore who did you talk to." Husband: "I don't know, a guy" Guy: "What do you mean a guy?? Who? What was his name?.".Husband: "I don't know, I didn't ask and he didn't tell me his name." Guy: "Are you sure you called the right place? You couldn't have called here." . .He kept going on sarcastically and it practically felt like he was accusing us of lying or crashing the restaurant. . .My aunt who I was trying to show a good time whispered to me "This man is just being disgusting.". . .I was humiliated. I have never been so humiliated in my life. Standing in that tight entryway- loads of people in the full restaurant talking and laughing and having a good time and he was absolutely degrading us. I interjected and told the guy "You are being rude. And you should not be talking to us like this. You shouldn't be arguing with US about a reservation. Your conversation should be with your STAFF!." His whole attitude and demeanor was sarcastic, rude, and incredibly condescending. He finally said- "Well if you want to stand there for 20 minutes I'll see if we can get you a table but I mean- we're not taking any tables." I told him "Don't worry I'm not eating here." and walked out.

So we all walked out feeling burned, humiliated and insulted. By the time we got to the car my aunt was upset and said you know, I am going to go back and get his name. So she and I went back and stood in the small entrance. No one came back. The guy saw us and made eye contact but did not come back to talk to us. Even though we were burning from the insult it kept getting more insulting that we were being ignored so I told her he's getting the pleasure of watching us stand here so let's go.

I refuse to ever go back there. I will not give them a second chance. All he had to do was say "I'm sorry I don't see your reservation, we are fully booked is there any way you could come back at another time." Instead it was an absolute accusatory assault that I have never experienced in my entire life and just can't believe nothing can be done about it.

4  Thank Anjellybean78
Reviewed August 28, 2011

My husband and I decided to give this place a shot as it was just down the road from the movie theater we were heading to. We made a reservation through Open Table for 5 o'clock just in case. We were the first to the restaurant and were quickly seated. We ordered our cocktails and perused the menu. The bartender came over to clarify my drink order and served a delicious Tom Collins.
We ordered the Antipasto Freddo appetizer. It arrived quickly and the plate was filled with Italian meats, cheese, tomatoes, artichoke hearts, banana peppers, and red and green peppers all marinated in olive oil and vinaigrette. We were also given a bowl of garlic rolls.
My husband ordered the Lasagna and I had the Tortellini La Rossa, Both were rich and delicious and the garlic rolls great for getting up the last of the sauce. Dessert was Strawberry Romanoff and Tiramisu. They were creamy and delicious.
Overall, the restaurant has a great staff, delicious food and a nice romantic ambiance. I would suggest dining around 7, that is when the live music starts.