“For the Price: Excellent Food, Friendly Staff, Poor Service When Busy” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ipanema Brazilian Steakhouse

Ipanema Brazilian Steakhouse
Ranked #110 of 511 Restaurants in Alpharetta
Cuisines: Brazilian, Steakhouse, South American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Sao Paulo, SP
“For the Price: Excellent Food, Friendly Staff, Poor Service When Busy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2014

I've had two occasions to dine here and two completely different experiences.

On the whole, I would say this place is a great place for the money, but avoid during peak periods if possible.

On my first visit, I came on a Tuesday evening and there were only two or three other tables seated in the entire restaurant. The server was friendly and efficient, and the gentleman cutting the meat (I believe he is a manager) was very friendly, even coming over to chat for ten minutes or so during my meal.

The meats on this occasion were well seasoned without being over/under salted, cooked to an appropriate temperature, and plentiful. The salad bar is small compared to the more expensive rodizio style churrascarias, but it is sufficient and the offerings were of good quality. My only complaint is that the pão de queijo really had no flavour.

On my second visit, I came on a Saturday evening. Despite having several servers on hand, the place was an absolute zoo. Waits in the buffet line were 10+ minutes, meats were frequently unavailable as they were having to be cooked, and what was available was often underseasoned or undercooked (chicken). Pão de queijo was very hard to come by as it woud be depleted as soon as it was put out, but when I was finally able to get some, it was again tasteless.

Service on my Saturday visit was absolutely abysmal. My server never came back by my table after bringing my initial glass of water despite frequently visiting a table less than three feet away, and my water glass was refilled only once (after having been empty for ten minutes) by a different server.

After finishing my meal, I sat for fifteen minutes before anyone asked if I'd like anything else/the check, and it was another twenty minutes before the check was ever brought.

Now that said, during these lengthy wait times, I got to chat with a number of the wonderful patrons that visit this establishment. Most of them are originally from Brazil or elsewhere in Latin America (Cuba, Colombia, Argentina to name a few). It really helps to add to the vibe of being an authentic Brazilian Carvery.

So again, I would highly recommend this place. It is not as extensive as the larger and more expensive rodizio style restaurants, but for the price ($16.95 at dinner), it is an absolute bargain! Just temper your expectations if you come during peak hours.

• Visited April 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Hadji C

Alpharetta, Georgia
“Quick and tasty”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2014

A great place to pop in, get your protein on and go on with your day. The meat selection is nice and tasty. I am not as jazzed about the salads and sides per say, but there is something for everyone. It's a cute enough place, but is designed for patrons to eat and go on.

Visited February 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
“Food Good - Service Good - Layout - not so much”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2013

For the price this is a good value compared to other Brazillian Steakhouse's. Decor is very clean but not fancy - which is fine. But the "self serve" buffet concept means at busy times you are standing in line behind 10-15 other people trying to get their meat. So the hot items you have gotten to eat of the salad bar are cold plus you stand in line for 20 or so minutes to get served. at busy times you cannot go to the salad/food bar and get food and sit down eat and then get back up to go get meat because you would have to break line to serve yourself from the buffet again - or wait another 20+ minutes. If not busy this might not be an issue, but when busy it is not a good system.
Also, a board or menu above the serving area with the kinds of meat available would be helpful. Yes, you can ask, but when you have 10 people behind you waiting you feel pressure to just be fast and not ask them to tell you everything they have.

Bacon wrapped beef was the best.

• Visited December 2013
Cumming, Georgia
“Enjoyable food and service in a non-pretentious atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

Atmosphere and buffet are simple. The food is very good and filling. Price is right for amount of food served. Our server was extremely attentive to our needs and very friendly. The bacon-wrapped chicken, pork ribs and top sirloin were very good; however, the rump roast was over-cooked for our liking. Last night was our first dining experience here after being referred by a Groupon we purchased. We would have never found it on our own as the restaurant is tucked away in a strip mall.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
“Great food for the price!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

Most Brazilian Churrascarias I have been to have not justified their high cost. This was an inexpensive and homie alternative. Really enjoyed the food and service. Not as many choices of cuts of meats as some of the larger restaurants, but what they had was good. Highly recommend.

• Visited September 2013