“Divine”

and up
Blue Hole and Turneffe Islands Helicopter Tour
Ranked #72 of 212 things to do in Belize
More attraction details
Owner description: The first marine conservation area in Belize measures 45 acres in size with two distinct ecosystems.
Oakville, Canada
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Divine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

We stayed there for two nights with island expeditions and although the weather was dreadful we had a great time. We went to kayak and snorkel but i did not kayak although a group did go out, it was windy and choppy for me. We did some awesome snorkelling off the beach. The food was fantastic!!!!!! The staff for island expeditions were wonderful. Our trip coordinater was a marine biologist and the three other staff could name every fish and piece of coral. They kept asking what they could do so we could have a great experience as the weather was not great. i would go back there in a second.

Minnesota, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Incredible place.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

If you have any interest in diving at one of the greatest sites anywhere.. this should be on your list. Our dive into "The Aquarium" near Half Moon was one of the most magical hours of my life. Do not miss this if you have the chance.

Visited April 2012
Portland, Oregon
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“A Piece of Solitude at Half Moon Caye, Belize”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

When my husband decided he was interested in diving the Great Blue Hole of Belize, I knew that I needed to go along. Although I am a certified diver, I had recently undergone knee surgery and wouldn't be able to dive, but could do some light snorkeling.

It was Thanksgiving Day November 2007 when we hopped on the boat during the dark morning hours. Feeling the warm wind through my hair for the couple hour ride from San Pedro, Belize, I admired the turquoise waters, small fishing shanty's built on sticks and the beautiful islands that made up my paradise. Diving the Blue Hole, snorkeling the perimeter filled with color, and enjoying the warm sunshine, was exhilarating. We headed out of the hole and dropped anchor just offshore from a small eco-island named Half Moon Bay. As I jumped in the water, I recall the beautiful colors of sea life, exuberant fish, turtles, and sea annenomies that dotted the reefs. Carefully, I found my was to the beach where I removed my flippers and mask. The white sand was hot, with little pods of black, dotting the pathways. Making my way inland, there was no one else but my guide and myself as we passed coconut palms and sparse vegetation, with a few small buildings and an old lighthouse (later destroyed in a hurricane). This small, idyllic tropical island and the immediate surrounding waters are a National Park and home to a protected bird sanctuary. The nesting birds are mainly frigate and redfooted booby birds; a total of 98 species have been recorded here: pelican, osprey, egret, gulls, storks and terns, to name a few. Winding our way to the couple of docks,we sat for a lunch of beans, chicken, and rice while we sat in the solitude of glistening waters,white sand, red footed Boobies, and wind blown palms all to ourselves.

This was a once in a lifetime that I will treasure in my heart until the day I can return. Worth the early morning hours and long day. A perfect Thanksgiving with my husband, dive buddies and frigates.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank 2OldSalts
Columbus, Georgia
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“BEST Dive Site!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

We dived a reef near the half moon caye with Ramons Village Diving and it was the best diving of my trip - so many fish, barracuda, beautiful coral, reef shark!

Visited January 2013
Bellmore, New York
101 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 114 helpful votes
“Great little piece of paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

Pulled up, crystal clear blue water, not a cloud in the sky...tall palm trees, white sand beaches. Walk off the beach to snorkel around the island...saw rays and an octopus right from the dock! Colonies of Red-Footed Boobies and Frigget birds. Audobon Society has a place set up here, and other than them, a lighthouse keeper, and a temporary camp for small tour groups, the island is uninhabited.

Visited December 2012