“A Piece of Solitude at Half Moon Caye, Belize” 5 of 5 bubbles

and up
Blue Hole and Turneffe Islands Helicopter Tour
Ranked #70 of 211 things to do in Belize
More attraction details
Owner description: The first marine conservation area in Belize measures 45 acres in size with two distinct ecosystems.
Portland, Oregon
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“A Piece of Solitude at Half Moon Caye, Belize”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

When my husband decided he was interested in diving the Great Blue Hole of Belize, I knew that I needed to go along. Although I am a certified diver, I had recently undergone knee surgery and wouldn't be able to dive, but could do some light snorkeling.

It was Thanksgiving Day November 2007 when we hopped on the boat during the dark morning hours. Feeling the warm wind through my hair for the couple hour ride from San Pedro, Belize, I admired the turquoise waters, small fishing shanty's built on sticks and the beautiful islands that made up my paradise. Diving the Blue Hole, snorkeling the perimeter filled with color, and enjoying the warm sunshine, was exhilarating. We headed out of the hole and dropped anchor just offshore from a small eco-island named Half Moon Bay. As I jumped in the water, I recall the beautiful colors of sea life, exuberant fish, turtles, and sea annenomies that dotted the reefs. Carefully, I found my was to the beach where I removed my flippers and mask. The white sand was hot, with little pods of black, dotting the pathways. Making my way inland, there was no one else but my guide and myself as we passed coconut palms and sparse vegetation, with a few small buildings and an old lighthouse (later destroyed in a hurricane). This small, idyllic tropical island and the immediate surrounding waters are a National Park and home to a protected bird sanctuary. The nesting birds are mainly frigate and redfooted booby birds; a total of 98 species have been recorded here: pelican, osprey, egret, gulls, storks and terns, to name a few. Winding our way to the couple of docks,we sat for a lunch of beans, chicken, and rice while we sat in the solitude of glistening waters,white sand, red footed Boobies, and wind blown palms all to ourselves.

This was a once in a lifetime that I will treasure in my heart until the day I can return. Worth the early morning hours and long day. A perfect Thanksgiving with my husband, dive buddies and frigates.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank 2OldSalts

Columbus, Georgia
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“BEST Dive Site!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

We dived a reef near the half moon caye with Ramons Village Diving and it was the best diving of my trip - so many fish, barracuda, beautiful coral, reef shark!

Visited January 2013
Bellmore, New York
99 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 114 helpful votes
“Great little piece of paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

Pulled up, crystal clear blue water, not a cloud in the sky...tall palm trees, white sand beaches. Walk off the beach to snorkel around the island...saw rays and an octopus right from the dock! Colonies of Red-Footed Boobies and Frigget birds. Audobon Society has a place set up here, and other than them, a lighthouse keeper, and a temporary camp for small tour groups, the island is uninhabited.

Visited December 2012
San Francisco, California
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“One of the best kept secrets in Belize”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

We spent some time on the Island as part of a dive trip with Frenchies, and it was amazing! Truly paradisaical island. Remote and quiet. The Red Footed Boobies viewing area is a fun experience, they're amazing birds.

Visited November 2012
British Columbia
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Experience a different kind of holiday, an adventurous one.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2012

I enjoyed every minute of this down to basics holiday. No 5 star hotels, no hot water, kerosene light to read by, dry toilets, lukewarm water for showers and yet the adventure awaiting you is amazing. First of all the guides, they must be hand picked, the food cooked by Amelia, delicious, the kayaking with or without a sail, either single or double cutting through emerald waters. The snorkelling, immerse yourself into a different world, it is unbelievable the amount of colourful fish swimming within arms reach of your goggles. I wanted an adventure and I got one. You got 5o experience this as well.

Visited March 2012