“Average Courtyard” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 24 Hotels in Albany
Atlanta, Georgia
“Average Courtyard”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2012

I had to spend a few weeks in Albany for work back in December. Spent a couple of those weeks at the Albany CY. Not a bad hotel, clean, etc. Has not been renovated (lobby or rooms) like some other Courtyards I've stayed at recently. Still, for Albany, this is probably one of the best options in town. There really isn't a whole lot going on in Albany.

Check-In: The front-desk staff at the hotel is quite pleasant and welcoming. The first week I was in town, I arrived early and was able to check in and drop off my stuff before heading out for the afternoon. Front desk was also able and ready to provide restaurant recommendations for the surrounding area. Found this helpful, as it was my first time in Albany.

Room was standard Courtyard - one king bed, work desk, pull-out sofa, etc. Clean and neat, but furniture seemed a bit dated and worn. Wireless internet available, though it was rather slow in the evening hours. I've been running into this problem quite often lately.

Location was great by Albany standards. Near the mall and a variety of dining/shopping options. Mostly chains, but at least you know what you're getting. They did recommend a couple of local restaurants, but when I attempted to try one, it was closed for a private holiday party. Oh well.

Never had a chance to check out the pool or fitness area while I stayed here. Will stay here again, or at the Fairfield, if I'm back in Albany...

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Key West, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2011

The courtyard is a fine hotel... clean... convenient. The beddings are nice, but the towels are small and scratchy. The couch in the room isn't comfortable, but I didn't spend much time there. The Internet is free, but the breakfast is not. There's a buffet or you can get eggs cooked to order such as an omelet (although they didn't have hardly any ingredients the day we requested an omelet). We got the breakfast free on a corporate account. Otherwise it would have been $8.95, but it is all you can eat: scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, potatoes, grits, biscuits and gravy, oatmeal, fresh fruit, yogurt, pastries, cereal, etc. A nice variety. Don't expect it to open even a second before 6:30 a.m. They even leave the lights out and the woman glares at you if you come into the seating area early. Most of the other workers at the hotel were very nice and accommodating. Wish it has a shuttle to the airport. That ride cost $25 plus tip.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a microwave. They all come with minifrigs, but not all have microwaves (good for...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Minneapolis, Minnesota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2011

My husband and I (and this time 2 kids) come to Albany Ga twice a year for our church conventions. This Marriott, compared to other Marriotts is SUB-STANDARD! As a Silver Elite member, the way I was treated would have been better received if you would have just called me your enemy because then it would make sense to me. I first booked this as what Spencer the GM termed as a "paid stay."

I realized I could pull some of my marriott rewards points and called and gave them my reservation number and asked about using my points. I was informed I needed 40,000 and needed to purchase more points. I purchased the addtl points and figured all was well and was told everything was included in my points purchase and she had my current reservation to go from....WRONG! I went to check in and asked about my breakfast coupons and was told by Gloria that there was no breakfast included in my reservation BECAUSE I was a rewards member. Is that half backwards or what??? You would give the free breakfast to people who are committed to your hotel but snuff the rewards members even the silver elite members from getting free breakfast and make us pay!!!!!!!!!

After I explained to her, she called the 800 # for marriott and got one of their "managers" on the phone who lacked respect, tact and was rude. The 800 rep called me a liar and said there was no way that Spencer would have included breakfast for $126.

The next morning I spoke with Spencer and he was baffled as to why I was upset...REALLY???!!! He basically told me that he "offered" me the breakfast rate at first because I was a "paid" reservation but their policy at marriott is that if you use rewards you don't get the breakfast. I told him that I should have been informed of that information prior to booking because I wouldn't have stayed here. Previously for the last 3 years we have always stayed at the Hilton. He acknowledged that marriott corporate made a mistake in not informing me but refused to honor the free breakfast.

What truly disturbed me was that he had the "presence" to offer me a discounted rate on their "buffett" for me and my husband and two kids 7 and 10. The rate that was $8.95 a person would drop to $5.95 a person!!! This "buffet" had powdered eggs, old potatoes, bacon, fried hot dogs and old oatmeal and a waffle maker that you had to make yourself!!!! YOU SHOULD BE THROWING THIS AT PEOPLE FOR FREE AND PRAY THEY EAT IT!!!!! This was horrendous!

In any event, Gloria should have called her mgr at the hotel. What was the purpose of calling the marriott corporate people when I already told her I talked with her mgr on site. Second, Spencer should have honored the free breakfast seeing as though he was the one that I talked with originally. I PAID for the Marriott rewards points for the hotel so for me it is still a paid stay. I'm staying here now and if it wasn't for the little clause that says that once you use rewards points they are non-refundable...I would have left without ever checking in. Who, in the world is going to pay $8.95, $5.95, $3.95 or 95 cents for that pitiful breakfast. My kids eat cereal & milk!!!! I'm not paying you all for that.

Lastly, this Marriott while clean, is not up to Marriott's standards. There are no refridgerators or microwaves in the room. The rooms are very small compared to other courtyards and just not as upscale as I've seen them. I am very disappointed and the worse part is I brought other people with me and they had to bite the bullet to on the food, etc. The first thing they said that I agreed with immediately is that we should have stayed at the Hilton.

Do yourself a favor, the Hilton cooks & staff are way nicer, the "standard" rooms are cheaper, nicer, roomier, come with microwaves & refridgerators in them, and the breakfast is cooked to order buffet right in front of your nose and you get 2 free breakfasts and you don't have to be a "rewards" member for that. I would love to see how Hilton treats their Hilton Honors Rewards guests who are redeeming points. They treat average guests with such dignity and honor that they might roll out the red carpet for the honors rewards guests.

One thing's for sure, don't use your marriott rewards points here because it appears that once they find out you are a rewards customer, they just assume they can treat you any old way because you'll be back again. Hate to say it, but I won't be back to this Marriott EVER!!!!! This is all the evidence I need to stay away...Do yourself a favor and just go to the Hilton...you won't be disappointed. And for the other reviews that say try the FAIRFIELD, stay away from there too! They have the same GM Spencer and Kervin for that facility so it's useless. I know this Marriott has lost me for good and it will be a LONG time before I try another marrriott anywhere else if ever. I feel violated and horribly deceived by the Marriott and certainly my kids have not enjoyed it at all.

Room Tip: Stay at the Hilton instead!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Tatocakes
Lewes, Delaware
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2011

While one of the better places to stay in Albany, the Courtyard Albany is average by Courtyard by Marriott standards. Positives - clean room, strong wireless internet signal in room, and friendly desk staff. Things needing improvement - fitness room treadmills need repair and no free breakfast for Gold status Marriott Rewards guests. $8 for a bowl of cereal and a piece of fruit is too much for breakfast.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Birmingham, Alabama
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2011

This was my first time at a Courtyard location. The basic room for $119 felt small for the price, but the king size bed was very comfortable and the flat screen LCD with HD channels (including Showtime) was acceptable.

My real hang up with this hotel is their ridiculous pricing and no complimentary breakfast! This is no 5-Star hotel, so why do they think they can charge so much? On a typical night, the Fairfield Inn (also a Marriott property) next door has nearly three times as many cars and a complimentary breakfast - perhaps the Courtyard manager can learn from this to raise the level of customer service at his hotel.

• Stayed June 2011
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank TallTrainer
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2011

Even an otherwise lacklustre and run of the mill Courtyard hotel experience can be easily marred by clueless management - and that is exactly what one should expect at the Courtyard in Albany, GA. The facility itself is acceptable - standard early 2000's era decor and furnishings, well kept by the excellent housekeeping staff. The rooms on the third floor are furnished with a small refrigerator and Flat screen TV's without HBO or any other premium TV channel. Alarm clocks, in-room coffee makers and Irons are of the older type (early 2000's). In-room climate control is sub-par and there is no wall-mounted thermostat, so one is left with the controls on the noisy unit to attempt to keep the room comfortable.

One of the most disrespectful things hotel management can do to its premium guests is to not inform them of major construction work at the hotel. During my stay, the hotel had scheduled roofing work. According to a roofer, this was scheduled over a month in advance. He also pointed out that permits need to be applied for in advance of such work. However, I nor any other Marriott Rewards Platinum guest staying at this hotel was informed about this work either prior to or at the time of our arrival. Further, I was placed on the top floor per my profile preferences, but one would expect that even a reasonably astute front desk employee would warn a customer that stays over 100 nights a year about something as major as a roof replacement. The work on the roof began early in the morning and went on till well after 8:00PM every evening. If, like me, one was counting on getting some sleep early in the evening due to needing to be at work in the very early hours, one was simply out of luck.

A note communicating my disappointment at this oversight, left for the manager at the front desk yielded no response. A phone call to an evening shift manager during which I asked why guests were not contacted ahead of time resulted in the alleged manager feeling the need to make up a story on the spot - namely that the work was a last minute decision and that there had been no time to contact any of the guests, presumably even during check-in. I am a big fan of the faux-apology and can normally spot it a mile off - indeed, it is the closing line of every poorly talented manager in these United States. I was not disappointed by the faux apology rendered by one Kerwin (sp) who stated that he was sorry I was upset. Certainly, such behaviour does not instill great confidence in the management of this hotel.

I will be back in town in a couple of weeks but shall be staying at the Hilton Garden Inn across town. My sincere advice to other travelers planning on staying in Albany is to do the same. On the other hand, there is a recently built Fairfield Inn (also a Marriott property) right next door to the Courtyard that may or may not have better trained management.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank PhlyingRPh
Carrollton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2011

The rate was 119 but they add a 9 occupancy fee and, of course, so the rate ends up being nearly 140. Not sure what an "occupancy fee" is since the room will be occupied when you book. The have continental breakfast for $10 more per person but I'd rather go to Ihop for that price. The girl at the front desk wasn't friendly at all. She just asked my name and how I was paying. No mention of the pool or checkout time. The rooms were clean and updated. No signof bed bugs. It's overall a nice hotel..just over priced for no reason. Also, they claim 24 hr coffee service but everytime I looked there was no coffee. I will stay at Hampton Inn next time, at least the continental breakfast is free there!!

• Stayed May 2011