“Nice Hotel in Albany”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Albany
Ranked #5 of 25 Hotels in Albany
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I have stayed here once a week for a year. It is quiet and in a good part of Albany. You must be careful in Albany because there are some bad areas.(especially on the east side). There are many restaurants nearby. The staff is very nice and want you to be happy. Very good hot breakfast. New heating and AC units that are very quiet. Daily USA Today and Albany Herald are provided at no charge. Nice indoor pool and workout area.

Room Tip: Stay on the first or third floor if available. The second floor has no ice machine.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Mark M
Navin P, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Albany, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. We are thrilled to see that you enjoyed your time at the hotel.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

I was with a group of three business travelers who stayed one night. Check-in was smooth (the chocolate chip cookie was a nice touch), and the rate was fair, including free wi-fi and breakfast. The rooms were spacious and clean, although the bathrooms seemed a bit on the "cheaply built" or "modular" side regarding the fixtures/shower. In fact, my shower didn't work fully (half coming out the faucet, and half coming out the shower head, with the faucet loose/pulled away from the wall like others had a lot of trouble. There was caulking all around it, as if this was to fix it. The wi-fi was slow all night, but picked up when I tried to use it at 6 am the next morning. They had a small workout room with limited equipment. The breakfast was what you'd expect at a budget hotel with free breakfast. It was nutritious enough with an assortment of mostly cold food with a few hot items of very average quality, plastic plates and forks, hard-boiled eggs, and cold cereal. The wafflemaker was nice, and made some great waffles though. To be fair, what you get compared with what you pay is certainly a decent deal, although there is no excuse for a shower to be like this one was. Still, most importantly, it's clean, the beds were very comfortable, and the fridge and mircrowave in my particular room was a plus.

Room Tip: Ask if your room has a fridge and microwave; check the shower and other functionality of room featur...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Fred_Brandon

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel.

On behalf of our entire staff at Country Inns & Suites we apologize for the concerns you shared about your experience at this hotel. I have addressed the issues with our team, and I assure you we are working diligently to ensure a similar situation does not occur again in the future.

Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

I was in town for business. Had never needed an overnight stay in Albany and felt I had taken a little bit of a chance with this hotel. I was very pleased and glad I chose Country Inn and Suites. Check-in was easy, room was clean, everything worked, breakfast was good. Only problem I had was what appeared to be a water leak from the shower, but it may have been due to the shower curtain not closed well enough. Good restaurants very near, movie theater and shopping within walking distance. I would use this hotel again.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank rjmcc
Navin P, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Albany, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Thank you for your feedback and for taking time to write about your experience. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed our Staff and complimentary Hot Breakfast. We look forward to your next Stay.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

After staying at a Country Inn & Suites earlier this year and really enjoying it, I thought I would try this one. The location was good with a Mellow Mushroom next door, Buffalo Wild Wings across the street, and a movie theater directly behind Mellow. Everything else is within a 5-10 minute drive. The property still looked to be in good condition, and my room was very clean without any issues. Breakfast left a lot to be desired, and although I appreciate the effort of using actual plates and cups for service, several were clearly not completely clean. My biggest complaint was having no WiFi while staying at this hotel on 2 separate occasions in October. Out of 4 nights staying at the hotel, I was able to connect to the internet a total of 10 minutes.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank chapmarr

Thank you for your feedback and for taking time to write about your experience. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed our location close to all restaurants and also apologize for WiFi problem because we were in the transition to upgrade all our equipment with latest technology and fast and furious. Now all in place and we look forward to your next Stay.

Reviewed October 4, 2012

I have been travelling to Albany GA quite frequently over the last five years for work at the USMC Marine Corp Base. During this time I have stayed in my fair share of hotels in Albany. I can honestly say the Country Inn and Suites on Nottingham Way is the worst hotel I have stayed in. It used to be a fine hotel and a great place to stay, not so much today.

Unfortunately, my last visit at the end of June the Country Inn was the only available hotel with the govt rate available. Upon checking in the bathroom was disgusting, I had to wipe off all the crude from the previous guest on the counter, faucet and mirror, there was pubic hair in one of the beds, the inside of the window had lip marks/lipstick all over?, and finally the tub was absolutely disgusting with the amount of mold. I attached a picture (the dark spots were actually black and mold). The hotel managers have really run this property into the ground over the last 4 years.

I checked out around 0800 on a Friday. Unfortunately I did not realize I left my kindle on the bed until I was on my flight home. I immediately called the hotel when I got home at 5 PM and spoke to the on duty manager, Ms. Lomax. She informed me that nothing has been turned in and that there was nothing she could do. Upon further pressing she said she would have the executive house keeper call me. Guess what, that call never came, there was no help over the phone, and I learned my lesson where NOT to stay in Albany. The maid that cleaned my room that day has a nice deactivated kindle. Hope she enjoys it….

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank 1kflyer_1
Carlson Hotels C, online customer support at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Albany, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our hotel. We apologize for the condition of your room prior to check-in. We have notified the housekeeping staff to ensure an issue situations such as this do not reoccur in the future. We hope you can visit our hotel again so we have the chance to restore your faith in our brand, and so we can exceed your expectations in the future.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

We stayed here to break up a trip to Orlando. We stopped right around dinner time. There is a Mellow Mushroom across the street. Many other places if you wish to get back into your car. There is a small indoor pool and hot tub. My husband loves the cookies at the front desk. Our room was quiet and clean and had everything we needed for the night. The location is good. The staff were friendly. My husband said the breakfast was okay, I slept in.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jerri S

Thank you for your feedback and for taking time to write about your experience. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed our staff, cleanliness and location close to all restaurants. We look forward to your next Stay.

Reviewed September 5, 2012

Problem #1: This hotel is four years old and still in fairly new condition; however, the property shows more wear than it should for a four-year-old hotel. Our bathroom walls looked like granite but I think they were plastic and there were dark mold markings all around the lower wall of the shower. I checked the mold by rubbing with a tissue and nothing came off, which means the mold buildup is behind the shower wall.

Problem #2:There were small ants in the bathroom that were noticed the night before we left. I notified the front desk upon checkout that they need to get the pest control tech out to spray for ants.

Problem #3: The air conditioning did not work so well for me; true, I do require a cooler room than most people, but there was hardly any air flow coming from the vents. We had to buy a fan to set up in the room so the air flow would improve and I could sleep at night.

Problem #4: There was a family reunion going on during the time we were in Albany and the hotel was packed full of people. Teenagers were running up and down the halls late into the night, going up and down the staircase up until midnight next to our room; every time a door shut in the hallway or leading to the stairwell, our door would rattle and the sound magnified; we could see a little daylight through the seams in our door; we had to call the front desk to ask the lady to stop all the yelling, beating on the doors, and slamming doors, and this was at ll:30pm.

Problem #5: When we arrived at check-in, they had assigned us to a third-floor room, which I prefer first or second floor; so, I requested a room transfer to first or second floor, which they gave us a first floor room, #124 next to the stairwell. Upon checkout, I looked at my bill (which had already been charged to VISA) and noticed I was charged for two rooms for two nights. It took 45 min. to get this straightened out, the front desk manager had to be called at home on her off-time because the very nice young lady at the front desk was new and did not know how to delete the charge and had to make several phone calls to get everything straightened out. I missed breakfast because of the time required to straighten out the bill -- did I note that I am diabetic? -- so I was getting not only frustrated but aggravated? I cannot fault the front desk clerk as she was extremely nice, kept her cool, and did all she could to help straighten out the mess that someone else caused because they didn't delete the first room out of the system.
When the hotel is expecting a large crowd of guests, there should be two front desk clerks, not only one, and especially if there is a new clerk on duty. The new clerk did a very good job and kept her cool, but my 45-minute wait would have been much less with two people working. My check-in process was also slow due to only one clerk on duty and many people checking in.

Problem #6: Due to a family reunion, the staff were overwhelmed -- all the way from the front desk to the breakfast area. There were so many people in the breakfast area that I'm sure they surpassed the county code on capacity -- there was only standing room. The two ladies running the breakfast area worked very hard each day we were there; they were friendly, courteous, constantly working and cleaning tables, and they made the best breakfast (scrambled eggs, large link sausages, bacon, biscuits, and GRITS!!!!, juices, coffee, freshly-made waffles, etc.) we've ever had at a hotel other than the Natchez Grand in Mississippi. These ladies did a wonderful job, even under extenuating circumstances. So, I applaud them. By the way, we were not able to eat breakfast due to overcrowding and food supplies down; so, we left with the intent of stopping for breakfast on the way home.

I know this post seems very critical but I am only telling what our experiences were during this visit. The hotel desk clerks were very nice, friendly, personable, and respectful. They did a wonderful job also, even under extenuating circumstances. Will we stay at this hotel again? Maybe........BUT I will certainly make sure there is not a family reunion group staying at the same hotel as us before I make a reservation. This is the second time we have stayed at the same hotel when a reunion was going on and there were problems then, too.

POSITIVES: The front desk staff were very nice and helpful.
The breakfast hostesses were very nice, hard working, and prepared a wonderful
breakfast.
The lobby area is inviting and attractive.
The room was clean (except for the ants seen at night)
Parking is free and very adequate -- able to park in front both days there.
Hotel is close to shopping and restaurants

Recommendations:
#1: Always check to see if a reunion or large conference is being held and most of the attendees are staying at the particular hotel you are registering with.

#2: Always check your hotel bill and get a zero balance receipt for your room before leaving. It is hard sometimes to straighten out the bill once you leave the hotel and that is why I told the clerk I was not leaving the hotel WITHOUT a corrected zero balance bill.

#3: Never return your room key cards to the front desk -- your personal information is encoded in those cards and some unscrupulous person can copy your information. Take your keys with you and shred them in your home shredder. The hotels buy boxes of thousands of these cards. I prefer to shred mine and have no worries about identity stealing.

Room Tip: If we stay here again, I will request a room on second floor. There are three floors in the hotel...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Johnnie D
Navin P, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Albany, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2016

Thank you for your business.