“Enjoyable.”

Cuisines: Italian
Columbus, GA
“Enjoyable.”
Reviewed June 2, 2011

This was my first visit. Walking in was quite a surprise as I did not know what to expect from the outside.

Instead of finding an "Italian" chef or family chef in the open kitchen, there was a local young man in a chefs hat. The waiters were in nice pressed uniforms a bit nicer than I would have expected from the look of the restaurant. Not that the restaurant looked bad at all. It had a nostalgic feel. The wait staff seemed very professional.

Unfortunately the wait staff was the best part of the restaurant followed by the restaurant and then the beers. The food unfortunately came in last. Not that it was bad, but it just did not stand up to the rest of the restaurant.

The wine list was loaded with California wines, but there were a couple hidden nicer foreign wines. I think there were two Italian wines only. I was very excited to find the Birra Moretti La Rossa and ordered one.

I had a taste for an Italian steak sub, so I ordered on. I was told they used provolone cheese. They do not put lettuce and tomato on theirs and you must ask for it. I do not believe they used provolone cheese though, and it tasted like a bad white American. I was enjoying the beer and my company and the atmosphere too much to complain. I ordered grilled onions on it also. The steak was good, and the roll was good. I was just that the cheese and quality of the grilled onions let me down. This is totally unacceptable and suggests a lack of attention by the owners.

My friend had the loaded pizza. I did not try it. He is big guy but was only able to finish one piece over half of the 15 inch. I noticed him always shaking peppers on it.

Overall I enjoyed the experience the wait staff and the beer. Closing at 9PM on a week night was a bit unusual, but this is the deep South. We were there until 9:30 eating and were never rushed, but were not the last to leave. I'll be back to try more things, but I wont accept mediocre food and I will voice my concerns when I order next time. The bottom line is it appears this is the only game in town for Italian, so when in Albany and you want Italian, you will eventually end up here. Don't expect the world and come for an enjoyable evening with some friends.

By the way, the menu included basic Italian fare including such favorites as chicken and veal parmigiana, and various basic pastas among other simple Italian choices.

• Visited June 2011

Birmingham, Alabama
“Tasteless, Really!”
Reviewed March 8, 2011

Understaffed, tomato sauce was very bland (tasteless) I kept putting salt on the pizza for any resemblance of taste. Appearance of the pizza gets a B, taste F, crust B, restaurant atmosphere C, noise F. The only authentic Italian here is the music.

2 Thank TallTrainer
albany,ga
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Shrimp salad”
Reviewed March 3, 2011

Best shrimp salad around! A must if you have never tried it!

1 Thank champ7
Kathleen, GA
“Very good considering it is small town southwest GA.”
Reviewed December 17, 2010

I was looking for something other than a national chain so i tried it. While i wouldn't burn up the road to go back, i would have another meal at Villa Garganos if i was back in the area. I had pizza and it was okay, but i was later told by the locals that the lasagna is great so i'll try that if there is a next time.

Tallahassee, FL
“Not what We expected!!!!”
Reviewed September 6, 2010

The atmosphere was very nice and the waiter we had was very nice as well BUT the food was very bland with too much Marinara sauce that over powered the food with lack of taste. We chose this restaurant based on the reviews of fellow trip advisor traveler's BUT this was definitely not the restaurant for us based on food taste. We even met some local residents of Albany the next day at another restaurant and we told them we had been to Villa Garganos and they said for Italian we definitely chose the wrong restaurant.

Been to Villa Garganos? Share your experiences!