“I am in chintz hell.”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Adairsville
Georgia
“I am in chintz hell.”
Reviewed December 4, 2009

I am 35 years old. Have lived in the south all my life so I should be used to the country blue and bad calico. My taste typically leans toward modern and clean. I was so disappointed when walking into our Garden "Suite" I had asked for one of their nicest cabins, but I suppose since we brought our two dogs they thought this suite would be suitable. It's not. It smells damp. The floral fabrics are of such varying degree of pattern and color it is nauseating. There is no television in the bedroom and in the living area there is just a 27 inch with a love seat rock hard couch for viewing.

Even our dogs seem uncomfortable here. So much for my romantic weekend.

Also, my husband is vegetarian...forget finding anything on the menu that will accommodate.

We typically run away for romance to Palmetto Bluff in South Carolina and I really should have done that again this time...this is what I get for trying something new when what I had was perfect.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Myheartlivesonaplane

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Montgomery, Texas
Reviewed November 27, 2009

My wife and I just had Thanksgiving Dinner at one of the resturants at Barnsley Gardens called The Rice House. It was excellent. Service was excellent and the food was very good.. It is so worth a trip to see this place.They have everything from great cottages to stay at (which we saw but did not spend the night) glof,shooting.hunting, or just rent a bike and ride. Definately children friendly.Cant wait to go back.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TouristHouston
Winder, GA
Reviewed August 2, 2009

Barnesley Gardens is a hidden gem, tucked away in Northwest Georgia. Staff went out of their way to insure TOTAL satisfaction with all levels of service. The grounds were impeccable, rooms spotless, and our meetings went off without a hitch.

Barnesley Gardens is a place to be enjoyed. Sit back and let nature and hospitality take its course. You will appreciate the results.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank doublegdawg
ATL
Reviewed July 29, 2009

Barnsley Gardens does not have the brand recognition of a major 5-star chain or the heritage (yet) of a Greenbrier or Grove Park Inn but in many ways it outclasses these other properties in its intimacy, uniqueness and ability to make one relax and really feel like they've escaped.

My wife and I had been there twice before for quick, one-night romantic escapes but we just returned with 4 other couples for a non-kid retreat. At the end of the trip it was unanimous that we would all make it a yearly tradition.

The resort is about a 60 mile drive from Atlanta (maybe add another 10 if you are coming from the airport). The ride up I-75 is no thing of beauty but almost as soon as you turn off onto the exit, you really start to feel like you have left the city and are in the country. The 4 or 5 miles leading directly to the resort are the apotheosis of scenic, winding country roads.

You arrive at the welcome gate and come in with the first two holes of the golf course visible and the rooftops of a few small buildings mingling among tall trees. A person greets you and waves you down perfectly manicured small lane to the check in building which is essentially a small cottage. Every structure on the property is small and cottage-like which sets the stage for the rest of the property--all one story stand alone dwellings.

The staff is very polite and southern, not as polished as a Ritz or Four Seasons but also not as robotic. Once you check in a person will lead you in your car on a golf cart to your room/suite. One of the big pluses at Barnsley is that you can park just steps from your room--no overnight parking fee, no valet to hassle with. Bring food, water, wine-whatever. You can easily transfer it from the car to the room and not have to make a walk of shame or feel cheap--it's like settling into your own mountain cottage.

The gentleman showed us to our room, a Meadow Suite, which was 1/2 of a large cottage (like a duplex). We packed light but he grabbed a couple of bags for us, gave us a rundown of the room, made sure we had ice and I tipped him $5. This was the only out of pocket/non-dining tip I made all weekend. We always felt cared for but again, unlike a 5-star chain, I did not constantly feel the need to peel off small bills for tips.

The Meadow Suite rooms are fantastic. The exterior of the cottages give a Hansel and Gretel feel but the inside is distinctly English Country. Dark hard woods and rich, cozy furniture. Separate from the bedroom was an enormous living area with a monster plasma screen over the fire place (which in the winter is magical--they provide wood and fire making supplies), wet bar, fridge and desk. The living room was separated by dual doors and could be entered from the front or the back of the cabin (both doors deadbolt and have those little bars you can close from inside that act like those little chains they used to have--not sure what they call it, just felt safe).

The bedroom was also very large with a massive, super comfortable king sized bed. The linens were outstanding and we slept like rocks. There is a TV in the bedroom but it's the old tube version, not HD--I know boo hoo, right? There is a safe in the closet.

The bathrooms are great in these suites. There is a separate water closet which has a separate door (I'm a big fan of these) and a white tiled shower that blasted great pressure. There is a massive clawfoot tub which a 6-footer will find ample for stretching out for a relaxing bath. The bath products were Taccori (?) and had a very nice orange essence. The room, from tee to green is a 10. The 9 others in the group all echoed that sentiment. Our package came with free breakfast (a sprawling buffet) and a "champagne turn down" which was a nice bottle of Domaine St. Michelle in the room fridge at night.

There are dozens of similar cottages and multi-bedroom quarters on the property but with no main lodge or concentration of buildings it feels very very private. Everything is a 2 minute or less walk but you can rent a your own golf cart to motor around (I was told it's $20 a day).

But it's outside the rooms that make this place even more special--the activities are boundless. I played the golf course two times and it is simply gorgeous with fast greens and well manicured fairways. There are 3 of the prettiest par 3s I have ever played and a couple of long holes that are just fun to stand up on the tee box and admire. The course is a handful and even low handicappers will find it a challenge.

Other activities include skeet shooting, horseback riding, canoeing, hiking, biking, and even hunting in season. They have an entire "outpost" on site where you can set it all up. Myself and two buddies grabbed resort-provided Frisbee sets and played 9 holes of Frisbee golf on a great little course which they had all mapped out. Most of the group found the salt water pool the optimal place to be, however on this visit. One of the nice things was that you could order food and drinks at the pool and not have to wince when the bill came. Beers were only $3.50 and most things on the menu were well under $15. Another refreshing departure from big-time resorts. All the food we had was very satisfactory.

The resort is called Barnsley Gardens because the first (non Native American) man who built on that land was an Englishman named Godfrey Barnsley. Barnsley built a massive Italianate mansion which has since fallen to ruins and now acts as a focal point from which gardens, trails and the family cemetery now lay. The history is actually riveting, there is a museum in what once was the kitchen wing of the old home replete with a bullet hole and blood stains on the floor where one of Barnsley's descendants murdered their own brother. Check that out for sure!

The ruins themselves are basically the large footprint of the mansion and the remaining brick walls with no ceilings and vines growing up around. It's sad and beautiful and makes for a delightfully haunting scene. On the Saturday night of our stay, the resort hosted a large "firefly" party at the ruins. There was a jazz swing band and cash bars and fireflies lit up the area at sunset.

One of the signature things about BG is their "Fairy Godmother." She is essentially a concierge on steroids who will attend to special requests and also provide random acts of kindness. On this evening as we headed to the firefly festivities, we were delighted to find a small firefly-catching kit with a small magic wand on our doorstep. It was a gift from the Fairy Godmother and was a really amazing touch. We felt totally cared for.

I had visited the spa the first time I stayed there and can only recall that it was "small" but "nice" and looked like a fine place to have a massage. It's far from world class but totally adequate to provide what you need in that arena.

Perhaps due to the recession or perhaps due to making things easier the resort has streamlined the food menu to mainly being the Woodlands Grill menu. I would characterize this as upscale bar food--and I don't mean that in a bad way. Everything we ate was excellent from the sliders to the burgers to the chopped salad. This menu was available at the pool, the little outdoor biergarten and, of course, at the Woodlands Grill itself. If you want to step up the fare, you have to eat at the charming, but very subdued Rice House--a Civil War era building that was moved onto the property (it even has bullet holes in the facade from the War). My wife and I ate at the Rice House this past winter and the meal was sublime. Again, I'm not knocking the food from the Woodland's Grill--it was all very good, but it was not 5-star memorable. But then again, it was totally reasonable--not the $20 nachos you will find at some pretentious 5-stars.

In all I cannot say enough about Barnsley as far as a perfect spot for romance or to getaway with friends. We will be back as soon as possible.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
5 Thank DoubleDinATL
Atlanta
Reviewed June 18, 2009

I was introduced to Barnsley Gardens when 17 of my best girlfriends surprised me for my birthday. We stayed in three of the large cottages. They were beautifully appointed, large rooms in a fantastic setting. The service and staff were attentive and helpful in every way. The history of this place is indescribable. Nestled on approximately 2,000 acres, this oasis has so much to do, we couldn't even scratch the surface. The first night we privately dined under the stars at the ruins of the original mansion with gorgeous restored boxwood garden from the 1850's. The next evening we dined at the Rice House which was an original pre Civil War house moved and restored on the property. The food both evenings were truly outstanding. From the pool, spa, gift shop, conference centers, walking trails with gardens, ponds and grave sites and exciting finds, museum, horseback riding and golf, there is something for everyone and more. We were fortunate to have the vegetable garden horticulturalist, Sandy, show us where the chef's can pick for an exciting exotic dish to the many native perennial and annual gardens from the original period. I can't say enough and you must stay to appreciate all the beauty, history and activities but if you are nearby, you can also visit the museum and gardens for a small fee. Since it is slightly over an hour from Atlanta, a nearby place for us that makes you feel in a different time and place. I can't wait to take my husband to experience this fantasy resort. I have never quite experience such a special and beautiful place and I have been to some very nice places.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank toxaway
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed April 6, 2009

Wow....what a wonderful weekend getaway to Barnsley Gardens! The best word I can use to describe it is charming. Everything from the staff, to the cottages, to the grounds...beautiful, quaint, and charming. We went back in October and the weather was PERFECT! 70s by day, a little chilly by night, but it was beautiful watching the seasons change!
We ate dinner at the Woodlands Grill, which we didn't think was amazing, but was good. It was very pricey and my steak was definitely overcooked. Dinner was about $200, and we didn't really think it was worth it. We had a great breakfast the next morning at the buffet restaurant, and loved it. We also ordered room service...and loved the wine and cheese plate they brought to our room.
The room was a 1 bdrm. cottage which was clean, bright, and very rustic. The best were the front and back porches complete with rocking chairs. The fireplace and chopped firewood were a great touch and we loved using ours.
The grounds and gardens were BEAUTIFUL! We saw them setting up for a wedding which looked spectacular. Didn't use the pool or golf course, but they looked beautiful as well. GREAT staff...friendly and helpful!
We can't wait to return! If you're looking for a romantic weekend getaway, this is a beautiful place to go !

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
Reviewed March 13, 2009

My Husband and I were traveling from NJ to Tenn. and wanted to take a small detour for a couple of days. We were lucky enough to stay here. This was one, if not the best place we ever stayed. It was wonderful. The Staff was beyond terrific, sweet, kind, helpful. You could never be bored the activities were abundant. We went horseback riding in the rain did not mind at all. The accommodations were absolutely lovely. Loved the claw foot tub, and the shower. The fireplace in the living room. Relaxing on the back porch. Awesome stay. Can not wait to go back. We are from NJ, I kept telling my Husband, being from the South myself, about the friendly folks there, he was skeptical at first but no longer. Now he can not wait to go back. Thanks to the staff of this great Inn. Oh, the food forgot about that it was great, best filet I have ever had. The waitress recommended this wine which was perfect, they are extremely knowledgeable about what was being served, how it is made, ingredients, recommendations. Terrific.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Adairsville
Hampton Inn & Suites Adairsville
Hilton Garden Inn Cartersville
Hilton Garden Inn Cartersville
#2 of 23 in Cartersville
Fairfield Inn & Suites Calhoun

Been to Barnsley Resort? Share your experiences!