“Beautiful Barnsley”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Adairsville
Atlanta, Georgia
“Beautiful Barnsley”
Reviewed January 2, 2009

I've been to Barnsley Resort 5 times. I've been with friends and co-workers just to play golf, I took my girl friend at the time to get engaged, and we just celebrated our 1 year anniversary at Barnsley. It's a very relaxing resort. We live in Atlanta and the drive there is right around an hour. The cottages are unique and the grounds are beautiful. During our last stay I planned on playing golf but it was just to cold. So I called the Spa to join my Wife and they made it a couples massage. The people are always nice and pleasant and the food is always very good with a menu that will please everyone. There's plenty to do and the relaxing out there is ALWAYS good. I look forward to my next visit, it's a very special place.

• Liked — Nice cottages, porch with a fire place
  • Disliked — no WIFI
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
atlanta georgia
Reviewed January 2, 2009

In July my wife and I took a short ride 60 miles north of Atlanta to this small luxury resort which has lots to offer. Beautiful restored gardens, lots of history, great private cottage accomodations with large beds, fireplace, and a responsive staff of young associates who were always ready to help. A great spa with all amenities, magnificent golf course and fine dining options are also on property. The Rice House, their fine dining room, with Chef Charles Vosburgh, spearheading the culinary team offers great classical cuisine with a modern flair. We are anxious to travel there again this year for a winter wine dinner in January featuring a multicourse dinner with wines.

• Liked — remote solitude on the property with the convenience to Atlanta
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
mph65

August 20, 2008

We go to Barnsley every year to celebrate a certain occasion, this
year it was my wifes birthday. We had friends showing up on three different days and my wife had no clue. The staff worked with us on many different set ups that kept my wife guessing the entire trip.
The food is wonderful and they helped us create a special menu
for the big birthday dinner. Back to the staff, they will help anyway
possible and the fairy god mother set up was great. It is great when
the girls can go to the spa and the men can go golfing and everybody is happy.

MPH

• Liked — The room
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
acworth, georgia
Reviewed January 2, 2009

I try to get to barnsley at least twice a year. It is my favorite property to go to in Georgia mainly because of the accomodations and the friendly staff. I love having my own fireplace in my cottage, in room movies and they are pet friendly. The grounds are serene and magnificent to walk through. I can golf while my wife rides horses ! Highly recommend it for a romatic getaway or even a day trip.

• Liked — fireplace, grounds
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed August 26, 2008

I thought for bragging about being one of the 500 nicest resorts IN THE WORLD, as voted by Travel and Leisure magazine, the toiletries should be better quality, the staff should be trained better in customer service, the fitness room should not have two out of three tired old treadmills broken, and the restaurants should have been better.

Over an hour from the Atlanta Airport, there is no easy way to get there. Bring your GPS because you'll be traveling the back country in parts of Georgia that don't have modern conveniences, including upkept housing, or showers, based on my observations of some of the locals.

It's cute because you get your own little cabin/house, with a real bedroom and living room, nice large bathroom, and little deck. However, the houses are pretty close to each other with no fences or tall bushes and therefore there is no privacy on the back deck and definitely not the front porch. The decor is early granny, with some furniture pieces being beautiful antiques, and some pieces looking like they came from the Goodwill circa 1970. The bed was comfy and the linens were good quality. The cabins are very dark, unless you open the curtains, but that pretty much exposes you to the neighborhood, and I'm more of a private person. The electronics... ie TV are old models.

I found the food at the Grill to be better than the Rice House, where my salmon was cooked to a dry tasteless pulp and there were about three string beans on the plate as a vegetable side. In general, most of the food at both establishments had too much butter or cream that was unnecessary, and not disclosed on the menu. Also, is it just me, or, in a "fine dining" establishment, aren't you supposed to leave the plates until everyone at the table is finished dining? It is the exception rather than the norm nowadays, but if Barnsley wants to be an exclusive resort, they may want to review fine dining etiquitte:

The electrical in my room was improperly working, and it shorted the coffee maker, as well as my cell charger. The coffee maker was replaced by the staff quickly, but I was met with a blank stare and a shrug of the shoulders by the front desk woman when I approached her and showed them that my cell phone charger was melted. Thank goodness my phone was ok, but no effort to compensate me for my troubles, or contemplate moving me to a safer room. Not even a profuse apology. AND I'm stuck in the boondocks of Georgia with no stores for miles and miles. To top it off, I left my other PDA charger in the room by accident, and put in a call early the next day. They make this big deal of writing down your address on some piece of paper when you check in, "just in case you leave anything behind." Well I'm really glad I did that because when I called, of course nothing was found and I didn't receive it in the mail either.

My room was not cleaned the first day, and I had to call for housekeeping in the evening when I went out. When I returned, the bed was made but there were no toiletries, no coffee, and the room service plate I'd had was still on the counter, dirty. I had to call for these items late at night, and was met with a handful of lotions and a shampoo, and some coffee. No conditioner, no bodywash. The low quality toiletries were in a tear-off paper container, so you couldn't keep the lotion in your bag. Once opened, there was no way to close them.

I did play the golf course and it was cool how you couldn't see the other holes when you were playing yours. Everything was really secluded. It also made for many unretrieved balls!

One of the staff told me over half their business is corporate meetings. With the money rolling in regardless of the service, Barnsley Gardens seems to think it doesn't need to train it's staff on how to treat guests supposedly staying at one of the 500 nicest resorts in the world (Travel and Leisure, what's up?!?!). Don't get me wrong, it's nice enough, but the service is not consistent with an exclusive resort.

• Liked — Large accomodations, bed linens
  • Disliked — Service, food, service, service, service
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank travelingrules
Hilton Head Island, SC
Reviewed August 25, 2008

My wife and I stayed 3 nights- 4 days as a get-away. This resort has enormous potential...but just potential at this point. We had a lovely cottage and extremely comfortable. However, the staff is not properly trained although they try. It is very apparent they lack effective management. We tried several times to have trash picked up from our deck, but in three days no one came as promised.

Regrettably, the dining although in a wonderful environment, was very disappointing. Food quality was fair. Wine offerings were good.
We ate in the "ruins", a marvelous location offering a quaint personal setting with a fireplace. The setting was delightful with a very attentive, albeit somewhat inexperienced, waiter. The Food and Beverage manager was supposed to light a fire in the fireplace as part of the "ambience" offered with dinner. He showed up once, the fire never did take, and he never came back.

It may be the resort caters more to golfers (nice golf course) and in fact seems to have a membership component to the golf club.

Regrettably, guests will be disappointed, unless there to play golf and not concerned about staff service and fine dining,
All this said, it's a great environment wih fabulous potential. First improvement would be a good chef. We really hope the owners take advantage of this very lovely place and bring the resort to the standards it deserves.

• Liked — cottages were very nice and comfortable with fireplace
  • Disliked — food quality and inexperienced staff.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank islandliving063
Rome, Georgia
Reviewed July 21, 2008

My partner took me here for my 43rd birthday and we had a great, relaxing time. they have a huge salt pool, spa,beer garden with great german and domestic beers,horseback riding, golf, vast gardens to walk through, two restaurants ruins of the barnsley mansion . this is a must stay the staff were very accomodating and friendly, the resort was very clean, (grounds and rooms). We will definitley stay here again. cudos to Barnsley Gardens
Glenn and Nick

Also consider these accommodations in or near Adairsville
Hampton Inn & Suites Adairsville
Hilton Garden Inn Cartersville
Hilton Garden Inn Cartersville
#2 of 23 in Cartersville
Fairfield Inn & Suites Calhoun

Been to Barnsley Resort? Share your experiences!