“Southern Living got it right!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Barnsley Resort

Barnsley Resort
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Adairsville
Atlanta, Georgia
“Southern Living got it right!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

Southern Living magazine recently featured this resort first in their Hotel Collection so we (ahem, my girlfriend) had to give it a try. We fell in love.

My girlfriend surprised me with this weekend getaway. I had no idea where we were going until literally we were pulling into the grounds. But hidden in northwest Georgia was this gem.

First, the staff was outstanding. I can overlook a lot of things, but friendliness is free. And this place has it in droves.

The rooms/lodges/cottages/bungalows....whatever you wanna call them, are spotless and charming. They have all the character you would expect from the old south. They are appointed nicely and clean, clean, clean. The beds are so comfortable you'll likely want to spend the day there, But don't! Read on....

The grounds were meticulously maintained, and nothing short of what you would expect. Don't miss visiting the ruins of Barnsley Manor, ESPECIALLY at night. Amazing. Speaking of night...throughout the resort you'll find fire pits and Adirondack chairs for making S'mores. This place even has the S'mores necessitates available at the hospitality house, and complimentary. There is something for everyone here. Golf? Check. Swimming? Check. Horseback riding? Check. Canoeing? Check. The list goes on. Everything in the resort is convienant. Park your car when you arrive, and bury the keys in your suitcase. You won't be needing them. I would encourage everyone who visits to walk and enjoy the sights, but if you can't or just don't feel like it, they even have that covered. Golf carts are readily available for rent.

Dinner at the Woodland Grill was excellent. We started with the cheese tray that featured local cheeses. Now normally I don't go on and on about an appetizer...but if you're into the cheese course thing, you must try it. Then it was onto jumbo scallops with lobster ravioli. It was just as good as it sounds. Service was once again friendly and prompt.

This is the part of the review where I'm supposed to offer some small constructive criticism. But I really can't. We enjoyed every aspect of our stay. I've been to Calloway, Brasstown Bald, Lanier Islands, and Blackshear. This place has them all beat. This will be our first choice the next time we're looking to get away. And for that reason alone, maybe I'll subscribe to Southern Living.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank mg4514

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

My husband and I traveled to Barnsley Gardens to celebrate the upcoming arrival of our first child. This was our second time to Barnsley Gardens, but the first was for less than 24 hours - but even in that short time we were captivated and knew we had to go back! I love the charming cottages which have nice rooms - very spacious, wonderful details, and most important comfortable beds. We enjoyed walking around the grounds, talking to the historian, smores at night - such a wonderful, relaxing time! The breakfast was wonderful. We look forward to taking our children there in the future as it seems like a wonderful place for families to travel. I would highly recommend Barnsley Gardens!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MJ H
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

We spent the July 4th weekend at Barnsley Gardens. In between rain storms, we enjoyed biking around the property, touring the ruins, rowing on the lake, the beer tasting, and a beer and brat in the beer garden. Both on-property restaurants were surprisingly good. We did not partake of the spa services because they were ridiculously over priced. Our Arbor Cottage was cute and comfortable, but could have used a deep clean and some general refreshing for a luxury resort. Housekeeping was minimal and could have been much better. They did provide wine and snacks complimentary, which we enjoyed. Fortunately we took our own coffee pot as the one they provided was a small one cup only. With a little TLC, this could be a five star. Hopefully management reads these review. It's time to update!!

Room Tip: Get a cottage on the main lawn...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank TracyM1961
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Just an hour from Atlanta (our home), Barnsley Gardens is a charming beautiful and relaxing resort getaway. Despite the awful weather, we had great fun hiking the trails, viewing the ruins and sampling the bars and restaurants. We'll be back!

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Ellyn F
atlanta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

My husband and I have been going here for years and love it. It used to be a member of the Small Luxury Resorts of the World. The grounds are so gorgeous, and serene. Love the cottages - we stay in the duplex suite or a cottage. I hate to say it though, however we do believe the service has gone down over the years, thus not giving it an Excellent. Apparently there have been some GM changes (also ownership changes), and this could account for this. It is still great service - southern charm at its best - just not as good as it used to be. The food is good, however I don't believe it is as good as it used to be either. It seems like the chicken is the processed kind, which I hate. The best fried pickles I have ever had though! I do, however, think the food quality and prices are comparable to other establishments of its kind. (e.g. Reynolds Plantation on Lake Oconee - the food there is worse and more expensive!) One reviewer commented on the automatically added 20% gratuity which is true that they add it. It is NOT true, though, that the staff pockets this amount. Apparently the resort keeps a portion. I think this is not cool for obvious reasons. If they are losing money on food related costs, I believe they should increase the menu prices, not do a mandatory gratuity. I think this is tacky, especially for this type of establishment. Overall, it is a lovely place and an awesome quick get-away if you live around Atlanta. I am just used to the way it used to be run about 10-15 years ago and I truly wish it would come back to that standard. (where the staff takes EXCEPTIONAL pride in what Barnsley represents...I believe this is what has been lost. I wish they would create an Advisory Board, I would love to be on it!)

Room Tip: depends on if you want to be close to golf course, restaurants, etc.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank redatl
Atlanta
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

The gardens are beautiful, but a lot smaller than I anticipated. After going to Callaway, Barnsley is "quaint", but cute.
The hotel staff was outstanding! They anticipated our needs, greeted us with a smile, and left us wanting more. I was really taken aback by the gentlemen who rented our discs (Frisbees) to us. They were chatting with my children!!
The rooms were amazing. I was shocked at how unusual they were. It was like staying in a small cape cod, complete with fireplace, separate water closet, and footed bath tub. There was even a live plant in the room!
The food was good. The food service was terrible. We ate at both restaurants. At both venues we had to go looking for our server for refilled water glasses and the final bill. It was not a good experience, especially for the price paid. And don't bother with the carrot salad. It's trying too hard and comes off as lame. The breakfast buffet was disappointing. There was little food and no plates. Understaffed, maybe? On the upside, the picnic lunch was fantastic. We got two different baskets for four people, and it was enough to feed eight. The picnic and the smores as the highlight of our stay.
Would I come again? Probably not. We had a much better stay at Callaway Gardens, which is kid friendly and enormous.

Room Tip: There is no bad room!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank 75peaches
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

Hotel is pretty overpriced for what you get. I wouldn't even mind that if the resort didn't charge my card for $900, followed by the $400 a night fee. They claim they were just 'holding' the charge but they had confirmation numbers and the money had been taken out of the account. After a lot of fighting, the 900 was credited back. That's fraud. Watch out.

• Stayed June 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Tanya K
Jennifer B, Manager at Barnsley Resort, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear Tanya K: Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am truly sorry that you had an issue with your debit card while you were here. It is a standard practice at hotels and resorts to authorize a credit card for anticipated charges. Unfortunately, when a debit card is used the individual bank may hold money out of the account just like a regular charge (to ensure that the money is available).

We are continuously seeking ways to improve our handling of debit card use but each bank has different policies and we have no way of knowing how your bank will handle the credit authorization when we place the hold. I regret that it had a negative impact on your stay with us and will certainly share your experience in our training programs in the future.

Once again, thank you for sharing your experience with us. It gives us the opportunity to address areas of concern and become better service professionals. I do hope if you are back in the North Georgia area you will give us another try.

Warmest Regards,
Jen Ball
Also consider these accommodations in or near Adairsville
Hampton Inn & Suites Adairsville
Hampton Inn Cartersville
Hampton Inn Cartersville
#1 of 23 in Cartersville
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Rome-East

Been to Barnsley Resort? Share your experiences!