“Watch out for fraud”

Barnsley Resort
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Adairsville
“Watch out for fraud”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

Hotel is pretty overpriced for what you get. I wouldn't even mind that if the resort didn't charge my card for $900, followed by the $400 a night fee. They claim they were just 'holding' the charge but they had confirmation numbers and the money had been taken out of the account. After a lot of fighting, the 900 was credited back. That's fraud. Watch out.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Tanya K
Jennifer B, Manager at Barnsley Resort, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear Tanya K: Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am truly sorry that you had an issue with your debit card while you were here. It is a standard practice at hotels and resorts to authorize a credit card for anticipated charges. Unfortunately, when a debit card is used the individual bank may hold money out of the account just like a regular charge (to ensure that the money is available).

We are continuously seeking ways to improve our handling of debit card use but each bank has different policies and we have no way of knowing how your bank will handle the credit authorization when we place the hold. I regret that it had a negative impact on your stay with us and will certainly share your experience in our training programs in the future.

Once again, thank you for sharing your experience with us. It gives us the opportunity to address areas of concern and become better service professionals. I do hope if you are back in the North Georgia area you will give us another try.

Jen Ball

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
alabama
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

We toured the beautiful grounds only. There weren't nearly as many flowers as I had expected since it is called a garden. Nevertheless, it is beautiful and worth a visit. Go on a cool day as our visit was very hot! Interesting civil war and family history. Very pricey resort could explain why we were seemingly the only visitors around on a Sunday in June. The sweet lady at the house museum told me the original family did not believe in slavery because they were English- huh?

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank rewt
Shelbyville, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

My wife and I had a short stay at Barnsley over Memorial Day weekend. This resort is perfect for a quick getaway for couples, families, or groups of friends. The entire resort is beautiful. We loved the cottages and all of the landscaping. There is so much to do that you never have to leave the resort. We canoed, hiked some of the many miles of trails, and rented bikes. We also got plenty of use out of many of the lawn games that the resort supplied including cornhole, horseshoes, and bocce. All of the resort staff that we encountered were delightfully helpful and very welcoming. We stayed in a normal room and found it to be perfect and cozy. We did not mind that the t.v. was older. The resort had so much to do and the weather was so perfect during our stay that we didn't spend a ton of time in the room.

My wife visited the spa during our stay. She had very high expectations for the spa services because I had informed her that I found the resort on a Conde Nast list of top 100 spa resorts in the U.S. Her spa experience was "wonderful but didn't blow her away" like she expected. But like I said she went with very high expectations due to the ranking. While she was in the spa, I visited the beer garden and enjoyed a couple adult beverages. Great selection of beer.

The only thing keeping me from rating this resort excellent was the food service. We ate at the Woodlands Grill multiple times during our stay. And we loved our food at every meal. I would definitely recommend the pimento cheese and bacon sandwich and the blue crab melt for lunch. However, we felt that the staff at the restaurant was not comparable to the staff at the rest of the resort. They did not seem happy to help like the others did. Even when we were one of the few tables occupied, we experienced very long waits for initial contact, drink refills, etc. But even though we felt the service was bad, the wait staff is still getting tipped at a very good rate.**All food purchases (including the beer garden) have an automatic 20% gratuity included. I don't mind that the resort does this, but I do expect good service because of it.

Overall this was an absolutely adorable resort and I would recommend it to anyone.

2 Thank bigbluedew
Jennifer B, Manager at Barnsley Resort, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Dear BigBlueDew: Thank you for the detailed review of your holiday weekend getaway at Barnsley Resort. I am very pleased you were happy with your stay overall but am truly sorry that your dining experience fell short of your expectation. I do apologize for this and and have shared your experiences with our Food and Beverage Team. I appreciate your feedback, as it gives us the tools to improve our service and I hope we'll have a chance to welcome you and your wife back again in the future!
Jennifer Ball
Dalton, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

A little something for everyone is available at Barnsley Gardens. Top-notch golf course, incredible Spa, fabulous accommodations, horse-back riding, lawn games, lounging by the pool, fine dining and an amazingly interesting history are all set in beautiful North Georgia. This was a romantic get-away trip for me and the hubs, but many were there with children. Perfect service from any staff member you met. Incredible grounds to wander for hours. A history that swallowed you up. As if all of that is not wonderful enough, I loved the way the resort, even though large, was so walkable. Golf carts are available for renting but we did not see the need. Our accommodations were in a Manor House suite and we could walk easily to everything. What a perfect setting. Trust me, we did not want to leave.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Manor House cottage and were very pleased, but I can't imagine there is spot th...
Jennifer B, Manager at Barnsley Resort, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Dear Kellie S: We at Barnsley Resort think your getaway review is fabulous. Thanks so much for your kind words and come back to see us soon!
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

My husband and I love everything about this resort! All I can say is that we would like to live here. The minute you drive through the gates all your problems seem to just float away. There is so much to do and see and the food is excellent. Do not miss the Chocolate Cheesecake for dessert.
It is beautifully landscaped and just an absolute pleasure to stay here. Don't miss this one.

Room Tip: We always stay in the pet friendly cabins. We like the one that is tucked away in the back. It is so...
Jennifer B, Manager at Barnsley Resort, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Dear Happy Traveler: Thank you so much for your great getaway review of Barnsley. It is fantastic that you love everything, including the chocolate cheesecake (it IS heaven I think). Please come back for a visit again soon!
Mountain Brook, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

Just back from our third visit to Barnsley, this time with our son and his family on their first visit. It remains a great place for all ages from the time you wake up until you finally have to turn in. We continue to find the Spa one of the best we have visited, and we have done them in many high end resorts throughout the US and abroad. Having read the other reviews, I can sometimes sympathize on the food service issue, but would ask the complainers if they have ever been to a spot where every staff member is so totally, and sincerely friendly, so a little wait for the consistently good food in every location is OK with us. A wonderful golf course and other recreational facilites as well. If there is a very small negative; a first class resort should have first class TV service in the rooms, both in equipment and provider. But so what, there was so much else to do, we were hardly ever there!! Can't wait to get back, and it will be sooner than later. MJ

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Jennifer B, Manager at Barnsley Resort, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Dear MMJ8444: I am so happy you had another great weekend getaway at Barnsley and thank you for your great review. We hope to see you again soon!
Thomson, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

A great get away destination in the foothills of Georgia's Blue Ridge Mountains. Whether you're into spa treatments and lounging by the pool, golf or tennis, horseback riding or sporting clays, you'll find it at this great resort. Tour the gardens and the ruins of the historic property by day and roast marshmallows over the fire by night. The Fairy Godmother will wave her magic wand to stir up a little romantic interlude on the grounds and the Wine Snob will introduce you to delicious selections. Most of all, the staff is friendly and enthusiastic. They will take care of your every need and request. My two-night stay was fabulous!

(My favorite activity was the sporting clays. There is a course through the woods and an instructor can help you use the gun safely and successfully. It's quite an adrenalin rush to break the clays!)

Room Tip: Godfrey Cottage has several rooms to accommodate a group and makes a great place for a girls' we...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Jennifer B, Manager at Barnsley Resort, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Dear The_Lucy_Adams: Thank you for having your adventure at Barnsley Resort. We really enjoyed having you here and hope to see you again in the near future!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Adairsville
Hampton Inn & Suites Adairsville
Hampton Inn Cartersville
Hampton Inn Cartersville
#1 of 23 in Cartersville
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Rome-East

Been to Barnsley Resort? Share your experiences!