“Good - but needs fine tuning”

Turnberry Isle Miami, Autograph Collection
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Aventura
Reviewed May 31, 2013

I am being generous with 4 stars - although this could easily be a 5 star resort. It has the great facilities, grounds and rooms to be 5 star, but little things keep going wrong.

The room door wouldn't open, the next day it wouldn't close. The bedroom air conditioning didn't work, the TV went off every time you shut off the closet light. The newspaper wasn't delivered, the bill was incorrect. Each item was fixed quickly - but that's too many things for a 3 night stay. Because we weren't able to check in when we arrived (an hour and a half before official check in time) we were upgraded to a huge suite which may have been part of the problem. A standard (but still good size) room may not have so many things that could go wrong. A little fine tuning would go a long way.

Food was very good. Cascata had an excellent breakfast buffet. Unfortunately, we couldn't have dinner there as it closed for emergency repairs the night we went. The poolside service and food was good. Bourbon Steak was also excellent, but the reviews describing it as very expensive are correct.

I don't play golf, but the golf course looked great. I wish I could say the same for the beach club. It really needs to be upgraded from a 3 star to a 5 star facility. The pools back at the resort were so nice that I didn't really care about using the beach club anyway.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank copygirlBoston
Turnberry-Mgmt, Director of Quality & Training at Turnberry Isle Miami, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with valuable feedback from your recent stay. We are happy to learn you enjoyed the grounds of our resort, but at the same time disappointed that your experience was less than stellar. Please know we are committed to excellence and would like the opportunity to speak with you so we many further learn from your experience. We have reached out to you privately in hopes we may connect soon.

James Paul

Write a ReviewReviews (1,921)

Reviewed May 31, 2013

My husband recently had two stays at the Turnberry Isle Miami and enjoyed both visits. Although there were a few hitches during the check in process, the managerment made everything right and helped ensure we had a nice relaxing stay. The property is nice. It is quiet and close to Miami yet still calm and peaceful and a pleasant respite from the hustle and bustle of Miami. They also have a great breakfast buffet and good room service. The bar also has creative cocktails! If time allows, I would highly recommend a trip to the spa. Eddie is very nice and set my husband and me up wih two great therapists, Freda and Nelli. Both gave a great massage that was much deeper than some of the usual Swedish massages we get. I had a really sore back when I arrived, but Nellie worked out all my kinks and I left feeling refreshed and with no pain at all. If you go to the spa, I highly recommend Freda or Nellie. Both ladies are super nice and sure know what they're doing!

Room Tip: We like the Jasmine section which seems to have the better rooms. We prefer a higher floor with a b...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I went for a two night mini vacation with my 4 year old. When we arrived Archie checked us in. He was professional and had fantastic customer service. The room we had overlooking the 18th hole was amazing. We had dinner at the restaurant that evening and the food was exceptional with a nice fountain view. The next day we utilized the pool and all the Staff was courteous and always eager to get you what you needed. Stephanie Torres helped us with towels and was so friendly. My daughter loved the lazy river and lunch by the pool was great. We headed over to the Beach Club and received the same outstanding service! I would highly recommend this upscale property for everyone!!

1  Thank princessdebbie
Turnberry-Mgmt, Director of Quality & Training at Turnberry Isle Miami, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

We couldn’t be happier to hear that our world-class amenities and dedicated team of service professionals exceeded your expectations during your recent stay over Memorial weekend. Thank you for the wonderful feedback and acknowledgment of several of our staff. We look forward to welcoming you back to the resort for future family getaways.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

My family and I were looking for a nearby place to go for Memorial Day Weekend. I have two small children so kid friendly properties are a must! Turnberry Isle is absolutely a wonderful place to take the kids. They have a small water slide and a cute lazy river. The poolside dining is decent. I think they might have been a bit short staffed...the food took a long time and sometimes i just went and fetched the soft drinks myself. The rooms are not very fancy but they are ample:) great for messy kids. The only downside I could find was that the lazy river had some debris in it and looked a little dirty. Some of the inner-tubes were deflated.
We did have dinner at the Bourbon Steak house which is located inside the hotel and it was absolutely delicious!

Room Tip: Book your hotel stay with WhataHotel.com to get some incredible perks. Like a room upgrade , free br...
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Exceptional from beginning to end. The pool is just amazing, the staff are great, the restaurants too. Our room was beautoful with an exceptional view of the golf course.
The location is great too!
The only uncomfortable thing is their valet parking which can take loooong, even if you call ahead.
We will definitely coma back!

Room Tip: golf course view!
Reviewed May 26, 2013

After visiting the run down and dated Doral Country club we spent a week playing golf at Turnberry Isle.
Now I am telling you dont be fooled by the photos, on arrival a cheaper room was allocated to us so we had to change rooms twice, beware of the reception ladies they have attitude and are completely un-helpful, as so many people were complaining.
The room was never vacuumed for an entire week and and the cleaning of the rooms was terrible always dirty.
The hotel suffers with terrible mould and damp and fortunately we were out on the golf course most of the time.
the golf courses are of reasonable quality and worth playing however one of the courses with its fake fibre glass fountains and waterfalls was more like a theme park than a golf course.
Note if you stay here there is no real service in the hotel so be warned

Room Tip: Get room overlooking golf course
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Simon,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback from your stay in December. We are disappointed to learn of your experience especially as we are committed to service excellence and hotel cleanliness, and have reached out to you privately in hopes we may connect to discuss your stay further.

Reviewed May 26, 2013

I live in South Florida and stay at the property at least 2 times a year. My wife loves the spa and the golf is really quite good. I pla here multiple times a year. I always take full advantage of all the amenities. We had a great breakfast at Cascada this morning. The restaurant was quite full with a waiting list. The hostesses were being overwhelmed by hotel guests, including myself but never once did I see them loose their cool. They were polite and efficient. We sat outside and enjoyed the view of the golf course. The omelets were great. They also have breakfast buffet which is done very nicely. We at dinner their when we arrived and have not been disappointed yet. Bourbon Steak is excellent. After breakfast we took the complimentary shuttle bus to the beach club. It's great too. You can sit at a pool or enjoy the ocean. The attendants provide you with lounge chairs and umbrellas. Didn't play golf today. Gave my wife a spa day. Oh yea, and they're pet friendly. I hung out with our dog Milo.

Room Tip: Newer and more spacious rooms in Jasmine
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank drjag
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aventura
Residence Inn by Marriott Miami Aventura Mall
AC Hotel by Marriott Miami Aventura
Trump International Beach Resort
Trump International Beach Resort
#3 of 10 in Sunny Isles Beach

Been to Turnberry Isle Miami, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!