“Nice but just not there”

Turnberry Isle Miami, Autograph Collection
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Aventura
fort lauderdale
“Nice but just not there”
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Decent place. Very luxurious. Mediocre, young, and inexperienced staff. Understaffed and not prepared for crowded buffet breakfast. Great pool service and amenities. Nickle and dime you on occasion. 3.5 stars at best.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Turnberry-Mgmt, Rooms Division Director at Turnberry Isle Miami, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Thank you for taking time to give us feedback from your recent stay. We are glad to learn you enjoyed our pool service and amenities, but were disappointed that your experience did not meet your expectations. I’ve sent you a private message in hope that we may connect and discuss your experience further.

Adolfo Bolanos

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (398)
  • Polish first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I got a killer deal during off season so I decided to stay at this location. I had to work in Aventura so I stayed here mid-week. The property, rooms, and grounds are just gorgeous. I wish I were a golfer because I would have been in HEAVEN! My room was insane. Marble bath tub, separate shower with rainfall shower head. Separate toilet ( with door....great for families sharing a bathroom). All around A+. Room was clean and I slept like a baby. Also, room has a very Mediterranean feel with French doors and a ceiling fan. I was happy about the ceiling fan cause it provides some nice white noise.

Now for the service....It's not that it was bad, it's just for a place that screams luxury you would expect the staff to anticipate the needs of the Guests a little more and have a little more professional vibe. The staff reacted more to the business vs. be proactive to the business. I ate at their cafe style restaurant. Food was decent, but nothing over the top. I was expecting to be WOW'd by the food....but it was average hotel food. The Key Lime Dessert tho' was tasty! I did not try the steak house. Regretting that choice. I did order room service. It arrived on time, but they forgot my spoon for my soup and the rolls were cold. And they forgot my water. Check out was a nightmare. 20 minutes to check out! All in all, come for the property if you get a good deal, but have patience with the staff. I will definitely be back....but I'm not expecting to be WOW'd ...more just take advantage of the beautiful property and relax :)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for recently choosing to stay at our property. I'm glad to learn you enjoyed our facilities and world-class amenities, but was disappointed to read that your experience with our staff was less than remarkable. We are committed to service excellence and your review will be shared with our team immediately to address many of the concerns you mentioned. I have also sent you a private message in hopes we may connect to discuss your experience further.

Adolfo Bolanos
Melbourne
Reviewed September 3, 2012

My family and I have just returned from a 5 nights stay at the Turnberry Isle Miami. This was our first visit to this resort. The stay was very nice and so was the staff. One particular staff member that stood out throughout our vacation was Mr. Julio Garcia from the valet department. Mr. Garcia was always very prompt in getting us our vehicle despite the high volume of cars that kept entering and exiting the valet. His interpersonal skills made our family feel very welcome. It is because of people like Mr. Julio Garcia which are focused on providing high levels of service every customer deserves, my family and I will surely return to the Turnberry Isle in the near future. Thank you!

Room Tip: Building 1 is closest to family pool.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Turnberry-Mgmt, General Manager at Turnberry Isle Miami, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Dear Angel,
We are thrilled your first time visit to the property exceeded your expectations. Thank you for taking the time to recognize Julio. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to Turnberry Isle Miami soon.

Douglas Hustad
Managing Director
Naples, FL
Reviewed September 3, 2012 via mobile

Just returned from weekend getaway with our two kids, ages 9 and 6. I understand that Marriott is identifying a few luxury properties in the Autograph collection, but not sure if this really means anything. Seems more of a marketing gimmick. Nothing special stood out about the property. Yes, it has a waterside and lazy river, but because the hotel is also a club for local residents they are clearly over capacity on the weekends at the pool. Guest rooms are musty and smelled like masked - over smoke (jasmine bldg) though they are very spacious with nice bathrooms.

Front desk staff is outstanding. Bourbon Steak is a true steak experience and even though we bout our two kids to dinner (sometimes the staff will give you dirty looks) they were very accommodating and pleasant. We work hard to teach our children manners and bringing them to a restaurant such as this is a great learning experience, thanks to the staff who treated them like ladies and gentlemen.

I would go back. Even with our Amex plat perks it wasn't worth it. We prefer the four seasons downtown Miami.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank TakeMeAwayNaples
Lafayette, Louisiana
Reviewed September 1, 2012

My valet Julio Garcia was the absolute best. He held my vehicle close by for me and was very prompt and helpful. My vehicle was very dirty from my travel from Louisiana and whatsoever you know the very next morning he had my vehicle washed and cleaned inside out at no charge and ready to go for me. What a great guy. Walter was a super bell guy also he waited for over 30 minutes as my room was not quit ready and then he got my things to the room the kind lady gave me $200 off my stay for my extended delay for check in. I forgot her name but she too was very professional and nice. Grat job to all.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Hewitt B
Lake Orion, Michigan
Reviewed September 1, 2012

We arrived with mixed expectations, Isaac just passed hours ago and we are normally avoiding "classic" luxury hotels and prefer contemporary ones.
The reason we ended up selecting this hotel was the nice pool with water slide and lazy river for our kids.
Well, the hotel and especially the friendliness of the staff exceeded our expectations.
Whether it was at check in, the concierge or the pool boys, everyone gave you the impression you really mattered to them.
Sure this hotel has some minor flaws, the humidity is taking a toll on pool equipment and the building itself. A little bit annoying was the fact that while house keeping did an overall good job they failed to report room issues like a loose door handle or the bad smell in front of the room amongst other things. While the maintance team was super responsive and even managed to make the smell disappear you would think that housekeeping would realize these things, too.

The hotel also offers a very convenient shuttle to the very nice Aventura Mall across the street or their beach club as the are located 5 min inland.
Ocean dr is about 25 min by car.
Resort fee includes WiFi. In our case it was also worth booking with Amex travel as it gave us a nice upgrade, free night, dinner voucher and daily breakfast for 2.
Unfortunately our vacation is coming to an end tomorrow but we will certainly consider returning!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
Reviewed August 31, 2012

It has taken me a little while to sit down and write this review but nonetheless, I wanted to make sure I recognized this hotel and the exemplary staff for making my birthday trip a memorable one. First, its important that I note, my original birthday plans were for me and my traveling buddies to go to Jamaica. At the very last moment, those plans fell through and we were without a vacation. Within hours, we pulled together a trip to Miami and after that everything just seemed to come together.

From the moment we arrived, the valet and front desk staff, to include Joshua and Dalton were so welcoming and attentive. The resort itself is absolutely beautiful and very conducive to a relaxing vacation. Our rooms were very spacious and provided us great views! We enjoyed ourselves so much just spending time at the hotel, which in many ways provided us with more options than if we would have made it to Jamaica! We were isolated enough to enjoy the seclusion of the resort, but close enough to all of the Miami shopping and nightlife.

Much of our time at the hotel was spent at the hotel pool, where Ricardo and Joseph treated us so well!! If you visit, please be sure to look for them at the pool. You won't be sorry!! Both of these gentleman made our time spent at the pool VERY relaxing and enjoyable. So THANK YOU again to you both.

And thank you to all of the staff whose name we didn't get, to include the cleaning staff, who just did a wonderful job and had us planning our next visit to Turnberry before we left the resort!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aventura
Residence Inn by Marriott Miami Aventura Mall
Sole on the Ocean
#3 of 9 in Sunny Isles Beach
Hampton Inn Hallandale Beach/Aventura
Margaritaville Beach Resort

Been to Turnberry Isle Miami, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!