“Definitely an Icon of glamour in Miami”

Turnberry Isle Miami, Autograph Collection
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Aventura
New York City, New York
“Definitely an Icon of glamour in Miami”
Reviewed December 20, 2011

Spectacular rooms! the gardens, the spas, the pools, the walking trail around the hotel, service was excellent! good restaurants around,close to Miami and Fort Lauderdale, the beaches in the Ocean Club are spectacular. The Bourbon Steak was an incredible restaurant. The Front desk were kind and helpful, but the concierges went above and beyond what is expected, were trustworthy and know their job, they recommended places to have dinner like Hakkasan, in the Fountainebleau, simply spectacular, the concierges also made arrangements for my early morning departure to the airport, with a private service. thank god! because taxi service is horrible, you could be waiting around for 40 minutes for a cab to arrive and charge you $65 to get you to the airport and private service could run you somewhat more than $100. When you travel abroad you pay a lot more in rooms, transportation and food in comparison. As far as the golf club is concerned is excellent. My experience at this hotel was more than wonderful!! I highly recommend it.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Esther F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (407)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Alexandria
Reviewed December 15, 2011

Recently stayed here to attend a conference. The room was simply amazing -- incredibly spacious and comfortable. I could have stayed in the room for the entire 3 days!! The grounds are impeccably manicured. Quite a relaxing place. Unfortunately, the service is something to be desired. The concierge was less than helpful when trying to schedule a ride to the airport (wanted to charge me $150 for a $40 ride), room service delivered raw chicken to my room, and check-out was abismally slow.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank CyrusMoo
BAY SHORE
Reviewed December 14, 2011

Although Turnberry Isle of Miami is lovely, they are cutting corners. The rooms are lovely and the housekeeping staff is very good. As a member of Leaders Club (which costs $100), we were supposed to get a FREE continental breakfast. They realy begrudge giving you this free continental breakfast. We were charged ($38 daily), and more or less made to feel awkward about getting the charges removed. But, they were finally removed at check out. Then,after we got home, they recharged us. So, we got NOTHING from Leaders Club. The golf is prohibitive....$250 plus tax per person. I think 5 star places should get things right.....So, Turnberry needs to work on the details. Also, parking is $30 per day plus tips....that seems outrageous for a suburb.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank WordlyTraveler44
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed December 13, 2011

Very nice resort. For those who like to play tennis, do not miss the opportunity to train with the professionals, who are of the highest level, especially the head tennis pro Mrs. Elisabeth. Enjoy it.

Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed December 11, 2011

I usually stay in Ritz Carlton and Four Seasons hotels but was traveling with others that did'nt want to spend a lot of money for a hotel. I would rank Turnberry as high as those hotels. It was clean, large rooms and exceptionally helpful staff.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank lfglenn
Detroit
Reviewed December 8, 2011

This is a copy of the letter I sent to the Turnberry Isle. Three months later and still no response.

To Whom it May Concern:

I recently returned from a vacation to the (Fairmont) Turnberry Isle Resort in Aventura, Florida. I had previously stayed at this resort, but also, frequently stay at Fairmont's across the country. Fairmont resorts always provide exceptional service, and allow me to expect a certain type of resort experience. Moreover, I am a member of their President's Club and appreciate the loyalty benefits I receive.

I was extremely disappointed when I arrived at the resort on Monday, August 29, 2011, to receive a letter at check-in stating that the resort was no longer being operated by Fairmont. I would have appreciated advanced notice. While I understand that the change took place just prior to my arrival, some sort of notice or explanation would have been appreciated. At the least, I would have hoped that the resort provided arrangements to have the stay still count towards my President's Club stay.

It was also apparent that the change affected the quality of service. First, the food at the resort was subpar to what I experienced in prior visits. Second, the staff seemed to not be attentive to details or needs. This was a very special vacation for me, and because of that, my parents and my girlfriends parents attempted to arrange advanced gifts with the hotel. The first gift was supposed to be a massage and a facial. As we later learned, we were supposed to receive a message upon check-in telling us of our gifts. My girlfriend's parents arranged this with the Fairmont Turnberry Isle before our arrival. However, when we arrived, we received nothing. We later only found out about the gift we were supposed to receive when my girlfriends mother asked us if we scheduled our massage and facial. We did not know what she was talking about. In an effort to rectify the situation, the hotel notified us of the gifts, after my girlfriends mother called, and gave us a fruit and cheese plate. However, upon check-out, the fruit and cheese plate were on our bill and I had to fight with management to remove them.

The second gift we were supposed to receive was a gift card for drinks by the pool. This was arranged by my mother. She was even asked to fax a credit authorization form. We never received this gift, and moreover, only learned about it when I was asked if we enjoyed our drinks. I had no idea what she was talking about. Both of these examples were very disheartening to learn about. In fact, they left a sour taste in our mouths in regards to our vacation. We chose this resort because of the Fairmont name and service standards. Unfortunately, we did not receive either.

When choosing vacations, I take great care in selecting resorts based on several factors. In the past, the Turnberry Isle Resort provided all of these. However, I felt that the service left much to be lacking. Vacations are not cheap, and customers, especially at a resort of this caliber, deserve top-line service. I was, and still am, frustrated with the level of service that we received.

Jeremy P

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
11 Thank Jeremy P
Rachel P, General Manager at Turnberry Isle Miami, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, December 11, 2011
Dear Jeremy,

Thank you for taking time to provide us with feedback from your recent trip. I’m disheartened myself to learn about some of the mishaps you experienced and truly apologize for a less than stellar stay. This is the first time this has come to my attention and as the new managing director of Turnberry Isle, I can assure you we expect our service professionals to uphold only the highest level of service standards with our guests. I will address every point you mentioned with all appropriate teams. I hope you’ll give me the opportunity to discuss this further with you and have sent you a private message so we can connect soon.

Regards,
Douglas Hustad
Managing Director
Kingsville, Canada
Reviewed December 6, 2011

I went to Turnberry back in September for a golf trip with a buddy. Everything and everyone were wonderful, from the valets, to the front desk, to our concierges and especially the chef and our waiter at the Cascata Grille who treated us like rock stars even giving us a tour of the kitchen after our meal. Our room was huge and the view of the driving range was surprisingly nice. The golf courses were in fantastic shape, the Miller course was supposed to be closed but due to an outing on Soffer we were able to play the Miller and chuckled at how great of shape it was in and they had it closed cause it was not quite there yet after aerating the greens. The pool was another great treat especially after a day on the course, I would just fall asleep on a tube in the lazy river really feeling like I this is what a vacation is supposed to feel like, no stress, no hassles and being catered to. Great resort, great staff will be going back.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank koalasteve
Rachel P, General Manager at Turnberry Isle Miami, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, December 7, 2011
I'm thrilled to hear your enjoyed your golf trip with your buddy this past September. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Regards,
Douglas Hustad,
Managing Director
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aventura
Residence Inn by Marriott Miami Aventura Mall
Sole on the Ocean
#3 of 10 in Sunny Isles Beach
Hampton Inn Hallandale Beach/Aventura
Margaritaville Beach Resort

Been to Turnberry Isle Miami, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!