“Coleslaw rocks! So does BBQ sauce!”
Review of Peebles Barbecue

Peebles Barbecue
Ranked #3 of 55 Restaurants in Auburndale
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Winter Haven, Florida
“Coleslaw rocks! So does BBQ sauce!”
Reviewed June 27, 2012

If you are looking for a chain BBQ place forget it cuz Peebles looks like an old shack in the woods! No A/C inside but oh! my! What atmosphere what with the big wood smoker and old fashioned tables. Eat in or take out and only open Thursday, Friday and Saturday and closed Memorial Day til Labor Day but when the place is open it is standing room only for lunch and dinner so be there by 11AM for lunch, you won't be sorry. Same family owners forever! Ribs and pulled pork are good but the coleslaw rocks, not all mayonnaise, just the right amount.

Mount Vernon, GA
“Nothing like it; Best anywhere from NC to South Florida”
Reviewed June 17, 2012

Yes, you must be "into" the environment of the place; the place is clean but very rugged. I took some relatives from PA (a state where they call Manwich bar b que). They were thrilled. I'm 62 and have gotten bar b que here since I was 22; I simply can't go anywhere else and enjoy the food better. We travel from GA to Orlando several times a year but never between July 4 and Labor Day as they are closed during those months. If you know Bar B Que, you'll love this place.

• Visited November 2011
DeLand, Florida
“Perhaps the best ribs in Florida”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

I never miss an opportunity to eat at Peebles BBQ when I travel - in fact, I schedule business meetings around their schedule, which is lunch and dinner Thursday, Friday and Saturday. They are closed from July 4 to Labor Day - no A/C. You will not find a more basic menu and restaurant building, but the ribs are GREAT! You cannot go wrong eating here if you love good food - this is one of my five favorite places to eat in Florida.

Tampa, Florida
“Good but seriously livin in the past (2.5 stars)”
Reviewed May 6, 2012

Nice, traditional bar-b-que but very few options.

I've been going to Peebles for about 3 decades. It's changed very little in that time. I remember when they installed a large counter and got a soda fountain (it used to be just iced tea or canned soda's). You would have thought that nuclear fission was discovered. Those are virtually the only changes I've seen in 30 years. Wait, they refinished the tables and chairs. And they finally added chicken to the menu. Believe it or not, they wouldn't b-b-que chicken until about a year & a half ago. Other than that, nothing new. I know that when you have a good thing, why change-but come on. A clean place to wash your hands would be nice. And maybe a new item or two added to the menu. If they don't want to change too much, they could just have 1 or 2 different things each season (changing/rotating them it each year). The food is okay/good but for the last 10 years or so I only go there maybe a couple times a year. I think my visits are more about tradition than food... And I have real trouble getting my friends to go with me. If you're a veggie lover, forget it. I know that vegetarians have trouble at most bar-b-que places but there is really nothing for you here other than sides. One additional recommendation, don't eat the bread. Most of the staff use their hands to pull the white bread from the bread bags. No gloves. I've seen the To-Go counter people handle money, wipe the sweat from their faces/noses/etc and then use their hands to put the bread in the to go box. They have wax paper sheets and gloves but never seem to use them for the bread. Good news is-they use large spoons for the sides and wear gloves when handling the bar-b-que. And it is open air so you can see all the food handling from the finished meat on... Anyway, if you haven't eaten there-GO!! I know this doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement but I still recommend going. Seriously! You'll enjoy the food and the rustic feel of the place. It takes me back to when I was young kid on vacation... But just don't expect ambiance, food variety, clean bathrooms, many drink refills(unless you take your drink up to the counter), air conditioning, etc.....

**PS: prices have gone up enough, & portions down, that I wouldn't really rate the food as a good value anymore.

• Visited May 2012
16 Thank s k
Greenfield, IN
“Best B - B cue”
Reviewed April 11, 2012

The first place we go when we arrive in FL. LOVE IT!
Love the atmosphere, friendly service and GREAT food.