“Pleasant experience, great view, good food”

Singleton's Seafood Shack
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Scenic view, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
charlotte, nc
“Pleasant experience, great view, good food”
Reviewed May 29, 2014

Just finished our annual trip to the area, when we stopped in before getting on the ferry.. ...shack is the appropriate term to describe the place.....but our table on the deck/outside gave us a great view. We were partially enclosed....but there is now a completely open deck (which was not yet open awaiting city/county inspection).

Service was friendly and efficient.

Food was good....we split a pound of steamed shrimp (which we thought was kind of pricey at $19 per pound), and a crab burger (crab cake sandwich). Both were good (not great), but seasoned up well when we asked for some Old Bay seasoning.

Will stop again when we are in the area.......its worth the stop in.

Jacksonville, Florida
“Good Seafood with a view”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Singletons is a very old seafood restaurant right next to the ferry dock and Mayport. It is a Florida classic. The seafood is very fresh, and well prepared as you like it. The service is spot on, and very friendly. The décor is almost like the inside of an old fishing boat. In fact, the old captain who started singletons many years ago had a hobby of building small boats to exact specifications. Today, they are collectors items. Product you are still last in the old museum at singletons. All – in – all it is a must visit if you're anywhere near the very old fishing port of Mayport

Atlantic Beach, Florida
“A real treat”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Took wife and former neighbors for lunch.What a great experience like a step back in time. Will definitely return.

Atlantic Beach, Florida
“Does not live up to its reputation”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Singleton's is a famous seafood restaurant here in the Mayport area. Many visitors are told to go here for awesome seafood. Guy Fiery did an episode of "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives" here, so lots of folks want to check it out. I am sure back in the day, this place was awesome. But today, it's just plain gross.

Let me first say that I LOVE little hole-in-the-wall places, and don't mind a little "run-down" character, especially if the food is spectacular. Singleton's does not have character, it's a literal dump. Don't take a walk around, looking at the tons of half-finished model boats in the one large room that sits there with a picnic table in it. I made this mistake with my seven year old, and was totally grossed out. The air vent above was coated with disgusting black fuzz (mold?). And there was a door there that said "Employees Only" and a few times I caught a glimpse of what was in there, and lost my appetite. Not sure if it was a kitchen or what, but it was filthy.

We sat outside on our previous visit, right next to some yellow caution tape that was strung across the deck - I guess they were repairing the railing or something and wanted to make sure we didn't fall off. Anyway, it was sundown and they had the blinds pulled closed (outside, mind you) so we could not see anything but blinds. No waterfront view at that time.

The staff is not necessarily rude, but they definitely have an attitude as if we should be thankful we're allowed to spend our money here. I can't stand that from upscale places, much less a falling down shack. Our server on our last (literally, last) visit had on a grimy shirt that looked as if she may have worn it a few times without washing it. No joke.

I have to say, I really like the food. But it's just not enough. Our bill was $70+ which was for two adult meals, two kids meals, 4 soft drinks (nope, kids' meals don't come with a drink). There are two other options for fresh seafood in this area, one is right NEXT DOOR! I'm not sure why Singleton's stays as busy as it does. If they would just clean up a bit (a lot), encourage the staff to smile a bit more, then we'd give it another shot and try to forget we just spent enough money for two dinners out at other places. I like that it has a history in Mayport, just wish they'd try harder to live up to the reputation from the past...

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank carleegirl74
Jacksonville, Florida
“Food was Bland”
Reviewed May 25, 2014

Went here with my daughter on a weeknight (Monday). The food was bland and once again I was treated to paper/plastic silverware for a $40+ dinner. Most interesting part of dinner was looking at the multiple cats on the property....we counted six as we left.

Visited May 2014