“A Hole-In-The-Wall With Great Fried Fish!”
Review of Seafood Kitchen

Seafood Kitchen
Cuisines: Seafood
Description: OUR STORY Let Seafood Kitchen serve you the freshest seafood Jacksonville has to offer. The Stuart's- father and son duo- have been serving ridiculously large portions at super low prices for 32 years and counting! Seafood Kitchen has a new face to share with Jacksonville. The Stuarts still hang their biggest catch on the wall, they still serve huge family portions, fishermen still boast about their latest catch, and generations of local patrons dine with tourist and businessmen on locally, and often owner caught seafood.
Reviewed February 19, 2013

When I say hole-in-the-wall seafood diner, I mean it. If you’re into complaining about how clean everything isn’t, this place is not for you. But, if you want some great fried fish, you should check this place out. It is mostly repeat locals, since it’s around the corner of Atlantic Blvd. and not visible from the street. On Friday and Saturday nights, be prepared for a short wait because there are only about a dozen tables for four, but things seem to move quickly and thin out around 8:30.

The menu has a number of options like Snapper, Grouper, Flounder and so on, and then the combos come in where you can get any fish with shrimp, or soft-shell crab, oysters, clams in any combination you want. You can get blackened or broiled, but I’ve never seen them serve anything but fried, since that is what they do best. They use corneal/flour coating, not the wet batter like tempura which is a good thing. The shrimp are butterfly; not my preference but they are good. I wish they weren’t split like that. The portions are huge and I have made three meals out of one (with left-overs). Last time I had Snapper and got three good-sized filets (enough for three meals). I have learned to split a dinner because it is just too much food for one person (at least for me). Dinners come with a really, really small plastic container with either cole slaw or apple sauce, which for some reason they bring out first, like a salad course and choice of potato with two hushpuppies. They have baked sweet potatoes and a great cinnamon butter that I highly recommend, although they have the standard one too. There are other sides like corn on the cob, fried okra or green beans if you don’t want potato. They also offer real butter and sour cream, which is refreshing not to see margarine (for a change). The fries aren’t that great because they aren’t crispy and limp, but that’s a personal choice and you can get fries anywhere.

I think they have a great deal on crab legs, with 1.5 lbs for $16.95 (about 4 clusters) and 3 pounds for $26.95; best deal I have found yet. Go with a crab leg lover and get the 3 lb platter and split it. If you know where to get all-u-can-eat crab legs around here, please let me know. There’s a sign on the door for a dozen oysters for $3.99; not something I care for, but have seen others with them on their tables. I don’t typically look at oyster prices, but that sounds like a great deal. Most of the dinners run around $13.95 - $16.95 depending on what you get and how many combos you want to mix. There is a platter with a little of everything for $19.95, but I suggest before you eat deviled crab, do a search for what is really in there; not a pretty recipe I assure you, but it’s like that everywhere. It doesn’t say on the menu, but you can get small portions anytime for a couple dollars less if you ask. I never noticed, but they probably have a kids menu, but I don't remember ever seeing kids here. Don’t ask why, but everything is served atop aluminum foil covered plates. They serve beer and wine, but the portions are small, so I order bottled beer at about 3 bucks. The draft comes in really tiny plastic cups at half that price.

The service is adequate and very friendly, but they are typically busy so that’s to be considered. I’m not so keen on knowing the tartar sauce has been on the table all day, but it’s never given me a problem. I have seen other places practice this also, even though I disagree with leaving mayonnaise out. I realize because of the turnover they wouldn’t think like me, but if it were my restaurant I would rotate it and put a cold bottle on the table for each turn and put the other one in the fridge to cool down for the next one, so it would never get to room temperature. I can’t explain why I seem to be the only one to have figured that system out. Better yet, have single servings in the fridge, since everyone doesn’t need tartar sauce. If you aren’t bothered by an old and kind of dingy place with old-style sheet wood paneling, stuffed fish on the walls and old vinyl floors, you might like it here. It would be best to leave the restroom till the end of your visit; if at all. A filthy smelly mess would be one way to describe it, so I’ll leave it at that, but you have been warned. Still, things like that don’t bother me when I get a great southern-style fish dinner. I choose to think of it as charm and certainly something to talk and laugh about. I’ve been here many times and I will keep coming back. It’s always fun bringing someone here for the first time because I remember what it was like my first time; culture shock from a time warp and great food at the same time. I was going to hold back the 5th star because of the tartar sauce being left out and the state of the restrooms, but I’m giving 5 stars for effort, a trip back in time and great fried fish! They make you feel welcome here and that's deserving of a high rating.

3  Thank AFRanger

Reviewed February 19, 2013

I had lunch here with my family the other day and I was very pleased with the experience. The dining room isn't too large but it's inviting in that, local-seafood-diner kind of way. We started with fried pickles, which were super crispy, and a couple $1.50 draft domestics. The lunch portions were very large and very reasonably priced. 20 shrimp, 2 hush puppies, and fries for 10 dollars, all of which was fresh and tasty. I would readily recommend the Seafood Kitchen to anyone in search of fresh, succulent seafood.

2  Thank Ron O
Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

Went on a Friday night with some friends and two babies. The place was really busy but the wait was not bad. Everyone was really friendly and the waitress was great. The table had shrimp, fried dolphin, blackened dolphin, and fried grouper. All was outstanding. Even the fried pickles and sweet tea was really good. I will go back soon. Really a hidden Atlantic Beach find. (I say that because it is on the back of a building and faces away from Atlantic Bkvd.)

2  Thank AnthonyBurg
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I had the fried seafood platter ($20.00) with fish, deviled crab, scallops, oysters, and shrimp, cole slaw, baked potatoe and iced sweet tea. It was lightly breaded, everything was delicious. This is a small, no frills restaurant with tables for four. Can count on them to serve hot, tasty seafood.

1  Thank TravelerGurlNorfolk
Reviewed November 6, 2012

We had oysters for $4 a dozen, and they were very good. Each of us ordered a combo of shrimp and Flounder. We will split an order next time due to the very generous portions. Batter was light and crispy. Service was great. Atmosphere is pretty plain, but who cares when the food is so good? No bar or outdoor seating that I saw, but they do serve beer and wine.

1  Thank Leah B